• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

Is anyone else getting burned out from all these variants and their high costs? I stopped buying any new variants as it seems Marvel is just them out at this point.

Only if you feel compelled to buy everything they put out at top dollar. If you're okay with possibly missing out and are willing to wait, most can probably be had from ebay after a few months or years for $20 or under.

Well that's the thing, I don't buy every variant but I've passed on so many variants that I wanted thinking they'd eventually cool off, to just find out they are either way out of my price range now or still climbing. One good example is the JSC variant of Amazing spider-man 688. I could of had that for $50 a couple of years ago but thought it'd eventually lower in price and be more affordable.....but unfortunately I was wrong and now it's a few hundred dollar book now.

Yup. That's the caveat with this approach. You could miss out. I really don't care much if I do. Then again, I'm not interested in selling comics so appreciation after I buy a comic doesn't matter to me. I only care about the cost at time of purchase.

Is anyone else getting burned out from all these variants and their high costs? I stopped buying any new variants as it seems Marvel is just them out at this point.

Only if you feel compelled to buy everything they put out at top dollar. If you're okay with possibly missing out and are willing to wait, most can probably be had from ebay after a few months or years for $20 or under.

Well that's the thing, I don't buy every variant but I've passed on so many variants that I wanted thinking they'd eventually cool off, to just find out they are either way out of my price range now or still climbing. One good example is the JSC variant of Amazing spider-man 688. I could of had that for $50 a couple of years ago but thought it'd eventually lower in price and be more affordable.....but unfortunately I was wrong and now it's a few hundred dollar book now.

I would like to know where you guys are seeing these prices. lol

I got an ASM 688 JSC for $100, three years ago, and had to haggle for that price. I have never seen the book for "cheap" anywhere.

-J.

Just be selective and only buy the ones that you really want. I bought way too hard into Rebirth (Batman, Harley Quinn, All-Star Batman and Suicide Squad). To make matters worse I got a pile of Batman and Harley Quinn variants graded. Now I'm only buying variants if they really catch my eye.

Pre-Selling copies still isn't in anyone's best interests, and can again result in the same scenario of cooling off once stores, wednesday warriors, and the mail order services have them in hand, we should see this too decline with undercutters an eBay.

We are also talking about a title related to one of Marvel's most popular movies, that just dropped an epic trailer. This book should not be under-ordered or off radar like some other low print run books with a 1:25 incentive. I highly doubt any of these more recent 1:25's are the next Hughes Harley Quinn #1's

Pre-selling is the new heating up.

Just be selective and only buy the ones that you really want. I bought way too hard into Rebirth (Batman, Harley Quinn, All-Star Batman and Suicide Squad). To make matters worse I got a pile of Batman and Harley Quinn variants graded. Now I'm only buying variants if they really catch my eye.

+1

Thoughts on a forgot on variants that could heat up again...

Ms. Marvel 1 Turner variant. There was a sketch and color version.

It is a vol.2 first issue so not really a key is any sense.

Is a book like this a good buy at close to a bill?

Welcoming any and all opinions and suggestions on other books.

I know a little something but have made many "dumb" buys. Meaning I tend to pay a premium when something is already starting to buzz.

I know a little something but have made many "dumb" buys. Meaning I tend to pay a premium when something is already starting to buzz.

nothing wrong with paying a bit of premium if you get someone else to pay a bigger premium after that.

nothing wrong with paying a bit of premium if you get someone else to pay a bigger premium after that.

lol, ain't that the truth. lol

that is an odd book to bring up, I showed pictures of it a couple weeks ago in the Wild thread, what made you bring up this book?

Edited by CBT

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9674685Post9674685

was my post where i referenced them, there are several on ebay, no one seems to care, but because of this thread, they all have a slew of watchers on them now.

What an age to live in....

any book, at any moment, can be jacked for any reason, and there are always people ready to pile on.

If you want to find something worth spending 100 bucks on in moderns, that isnt over valued, first and foremost dont talk about it here :)

Second, buy whatever other people have lost interest in. The variant pumpers seem to be continuing to push farther back in time to find hard to get things they can create interest in. Current variants are always over priced.

late 2013ish to early 2015is is probably the best area to target for good value vs rarity. Find ones that were never pumped by the cBSi herd, which are 1:100 or rarer of characters you like, and get it without the premium.

Edited by CBT

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9674685Post9674685

was my post where i referenced them, there are several on ebay, no one seems to care, but because of this thread, they all have a slew of watchers on them now.

any book, at any moment, cant be jacked for any reason, and there are always people ready to pile on.

If you want to find something worth spending 100 bucks on in moderns, that isnt over valued, first and foremost dont talk about it here :)

Second, buy whatever other people have lost interest in. The variant pumpers seem to be continuing to push farther back in time to find hard to get things they can create interest in. Current variants are always over priced.

late 2013ish to early 2015is is probably the best area to target for good value vs rarity. Find ones that were never pumped by the cBSi herd, which are 1:100 or rarer of characters you like, and get it without the premium.

(thumbs u

OK

If I'm reading this thread correctly, posting in the "books you can't find in the wild" is fine.... but mentioning the same book in the "moderns heating up" thread gets scrutinized.

Isn't that other thread just a precursor to this one? Y'know just like all the specu-sites are precursors to this thread reporting the ones that the herd jumps on?

(shrug)

OK

book in the "moderns heating up" thread gets scrutinized.

why do so many people get confused, (or in past cases extremely butt hurt) in this thread, whenever an actual discussion occurs.

It is not the "books for cheerleading thread"

If the thread is called, "books that are heating up", then people should discuss whether or not a book is heating up or not.

When so many people post books which are clearly NOT heating up, but which they either want to heat up, or others have told them are going to heat up, they should not be surprised, or shocked, or offended, that people might actually question saying:

"are you sure thats heating up?"

"here are some sales that seem to point otherwise".

Ultimately, its either a dont ask dont tell thread, where people only cheerlead for books to go up up and away, or its a discussion thread about what is heating up, and that involves both sides of the discussion, for the books that are mentioned.

Lastly, i wasnt scrutinizing the book, though legitimately curious WHY it was brought up in this thread (where it clearly does not belong).

Edited by CBT

any book, at any moment, cant be jacked for any reason, and there are always people ready to pile on.

(thumbs u

in between rants, i do actually try to give people good, well-thought advice, based on experience :)

Cheers