• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

To be fair, while I don't agree with everything on the CBSI site, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy many of their articles. It seems to me an argument can and has been made for 4 different books being made as first appearances of the trio as a team. At least 3 of them have some validity imo. The outsider to me is HQ #3 and it happens to be the only copy that I own. It doesn't matter, its still a first of a sort and has it's own reason for being potentially valuable.

A first does not always equal most important and there is little consistency in which appearance becomes most valuable. See the first Wolverine vs the first Darkseid.

I've caught myself worrying over why something is popular or not and does it deserve to b. Who decides ? Can a CBSI article sway the perceived value of a book ? Yes, it can but so do opinions on here, on comicbookjunkie.com, on bleedingcool.com, on ebay.com, on comicsheatingup.net, comicbookresources.com, and...you get the idea. An article on a film site can change the perceived value of a book too.

Having said all of that, it is impossible to know for certain if people intend to manipulate the value of a book or are just diehard comics fans wanting to set the record straight. I speculate ( get it ? ) that sometimes a person or 2 may have a vested interest in the success of a book and put out words trying to tip the scales. Then I wonder, who doesn't do this ? If you like a book, you talk about it right ? If you're like me and buying multiples of certain books, you probably intend to sell some of them at some point...or need to see a doctor lol

To give you an idea of what I'm speaking of specifically. I read and collect or have collected East of West, The Walking Dead, Southern Bastards, Saga, etc. I've hyped all of the above. I've sold all of the above. I continue to buy ALL OF THE ABOVE when I can buy them for less than I can sell them ( dependent on the margins ) and will continue to do so. So if I say "hey, you should be reading TWD " and turn around and sell some later, is this manipulative ? I don't believe it is but that is up to you.

By the same token, it seems weird to get upset that someone points out that " hey, you guys might have missed something, the actual book you're looking for is this one..". We learn from our mistakes. With over 800 different issues a month hitting the shelves, there is a strong likelihood that someone has read something that someone else may have missed. This could potentially lead to a new discovery. It seems to me that we should be open minded to a potential change...even when they are hard to swallow.

Keep in mind that while a person may be correcting the record, they might or might not have an interest in the book being more or less expensive. Who cares ? lol

For the record, I'm not a member of CBSI but thats simply because I enjoy exchanging with the people here. I don't view it as an us vs them. I do visit their site. I'm betting many of the people who write there visit here. I know its a long rant but this place is much more fun when the disagreements keep the personal out of them.

Uh They are a team...

GCS doesn't get made by DC without the events that occur at the end of Tec850.

By the way, how are they not a team or a "union" when they steal Hush's money as a team?

This page is narrated by Catwoman as she describes herself, Holly, Harley and Ivy all working to acquire Hush's vast fortune under her direction. If that's not a team what is?

A group with long-term organization.

GCS 1 picks up where this narrative leaves off.

I'm not sure this is accurate, even ignoring the many months between 'Tec 850 and GCS 1.

page_44_zpsx3tsmhak.jpg

How are they not a team here.

"My first step was calling in favors from old friends." Maybe a team-up, certainly not a team.

And before I hear thoughts about Oracle, Holly or Slam, if you read the page Slam acts on his own, independent of the team,

You don't think there's any implication there about how Slam heard about what happened?

Holly quits after this if I remember correctly from GCS 1 and Oracle simply aids Catwoman at the start of her plan and is not actually part of the team members who are directed by Catwoman.

They all "simply aid Catwoman" using their specific abilities.

Also we need to remember that the film will probably take liberties with all the source material, we don't know who will be in the film or on the team outside of Harley, Catwoman and Ivy. But what is important is that this page is the formation of the team which is expanded upon later in the series.

Oh and Tec850 is written b y Dini, same guy who wrote GCS. This book is the origin of and first appearance of the Sirens as written by the Sirens creator. The only thing missing is the name Sirens which they don't even use in issue 1 of the series.

This book is the origin of the Sirens and was overlooked by everyone except CBSI. Many here dislike their success and friendly forums so they try to discredit their work and make false accusations about it's friends and partners.

I don't care if the haters here give them credit when it's due but we all seem to love comics. Because of that the posters here who dislike CBSI should put that hate aside and simply READ THE COMIC and then be honest about it's narrative and importance.

Yes, people should read comics rather than speculating on unconnected BS.

" unconnected BS" -Really. Are you sure you want to stand by that statement?

the money directly connects the two issues and while there was some time that occurred between the two comics it actually feels like the time between the release of tec850 and GCS 1, a few months.

A team-up but not a team? WTF are you talking about, They take their cues directly from Catwoman, including a " hands on " approach meaning Catwoman aids Harley in the theft.

I think you just like arguing for the sake of it. Claiming that it's unconnected BS is pretty weak. They are obviously connected no matter what spin you try to put on it.

Look, if it was written by someone other than the damn creator of the Sirens I would still disagree but there would be less of an argument from me.

What do YOU think Dini would say? After all he wrote both comics.

Sorry, there is at least a slight connection between 'Tec 850 and GCS 1. I was only really commenting on your "READ THE COMIC" part there. The unconnected BS I was referring to was the Catwoman and Harley Quinn issues from around a decade earlier (again, the same garbage as Swamp Thing 49/50).

But still, calling in favours to accomplish a specific task does not make a team and more than just the supposed "Gotham City Sirens" were involved anyway.

To be fair, while I don't agree with everything on the CBSI site, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy many of their articles. It seems to me an argument can and has been made for 4 different books being made as first appearances of the trio as a team. At least 3 of them have some validity imo. The outsider to me is HQ #3 and it happens to be the only copy that I own. It doesn't matter, its still a first of a sort and has it's own reason for being potentially valuable.

A first does not always equal most important and there is little consistency in which appearance becomes most valuable. See the first Wolverine vs the first Darkseid.

I've caught myself worrying over why something is popular or not and does it deserve to b. Who decides ? Can a CBSI article sway the perceived value of a book ? Yes, it can but so do opinions on here, on comicbookjunkie.com, on bleedingcool.com, on ebay.com, on comicsheatingup.net, comicbookresources.com, and...you get the idea. An article on a film site can change the perceived value of a book too.

Having said all of that, it is impossible to know for certain if people intend to manipulate the value of a book or are just diehard comics fans wanting to set the record straight. I speculate ( get it ? ) that sometimes a person or 2 may have a vested interest in the success of a book and put out words trying to tip the scales. Then I wonder, who doesn't do this ? If you like a book, you talk about it right ? If you're like me and buying multiples of certain books, you probably intend to sell some of them at some point...or need to see a doctor lol

To give you an idea of what I'm speaking of specifically. I read and collect or have collected East of West, The Walking Dead, Southern Bastards, Saga, etc. I've hyped all of the above. I've sold all of the above. I continue to buy ALL OF THE ABOVE when I can buy them for less than I can sell them ( dependent on the margins ) and will continue to do so. So if I say "hey, you should be reading TWD " and turn around and sell some later, is this manipulative ? I don't believe it is but that is up to you.

By the same token, it seems weird to get upset that someone points out that " hey, you guys might have missed something, the actual book you're looking for is this one..". We learn from our mistakes. With over 800 different issues a month hitting the shelves, there is a strong likelihood that someone has read something that someone else may have missed. This could potentially lead to a new discovery. It seems to me that we should be open minded to a potential change...even when they are hard to swallow.

Keep in mind that while a person may be correcting the record, they might or might not have an interest in the book being more or less expensive. Who cares ? lol

For the record, I'm not a member of CBSI but thats simply because I enjoy exchanging with the people here. I don't view it as an us vs them. I do visit their site. I'm betting many of the people who write there visit here. I know its a long rant but this place is much more fun when the disagreements keep the personal out of them.

Well said.

Anyhoo, I know this was last month, but this seems like a really strong price on a book I would have thought was bagged and boarded as Bolland was popular...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WONDER-WOMAN-63-CGC-9-8-WP-SCARCE-IN-HIGH-GRADE-BOLLAND-1st-COVER-COMIC-KINGS-/162279858440?hash=item25c8a22108:g:RnAAAOSw5cNYKQr-

Sure, the listing says "scarce" in HG (i think there are 9 9.8s), but looking at some of the other bolland covers, there are fewer and only 12 72s, which is expensive too. I find it surprising that there aren't more of these in super nice shape? Are early 90s DC prone to some minor damage?

(shrug)

Thats a nice price for the book. I would've thought they were plentiful but it must not be the case.

I pick up Bolland WW's any time I see them in nice shape, which isn't very often anymore. 5-10 years ago you could still scoop them out of 50 cent and dollar bins, but these days not so much.

But of the many I've dug up, this is the one (along with 72) that I almost never find. I don't think WW was exactly a blockbuster title at the time, although that is admittedly just my personal anecdotal remembrance, and definitely not based on any real numbers. The hardcore WW and Bolland people got theirs years ago, and have held onto them. Since then, the run has gained in popularity, and people are picking them up more and more. Same goes for the AH run. See them, buy them. Your going to be finding them less and less.

I'd go so far as to say any Bolland cover is worth picking up - love 'em! (thumbs u

Especially since most of his runs are great comics regardless of his covers.

Anyhoo, I know this was last month, but this seems like a really strong price on a book I would have thought was bagged and boarded as Bolland was popular...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WONDER-WOMAN-63-CGC-9-8-WP-SCARCE-IN-HIGH-GRADE-BOLLAND-1st-COVER-COMIC-KINGS-/162279858440?hash=item25c8a22108:g:RnAAAOSw5cNYKQr-

Sure, the listing says "scarce" in HG (i think there are 9 9.8s), but looking at some of the other bolland covers, there are fewer and only 12 72s, which is expensive too. I find it surprising that there aren't more of these in super nice shape? Are early 90s DC prone to some minor damage?

(shrug)

Thats a nice price for the book. I would've thought they were plentiful but it must not be the case.

I pick up Bolland WW's any time I see them in nice shape, which isn't very often anymore. 5-10 years ago you could still scoop them out of 50 cent and dollar bins, but these days not so much.

But of the many I've dug up, this is the one (along with 72) that I almost never find. I don't think WW was exactly a blockbuster title at the time, although that is admittedly just my personal anecdotal remembrance, and definitely not based on any real numbers. The hardcore WW and Bolland people got theirs years ago, and have held onto them. Since then, the run has gained in popularity, and people are picking them up more and more. Same goes for the AH run. See them, buy them. Your going to be finding them less and less.

I'd go so far as to say any Bolland cover is worth picking up - love 'em! (thumbs u

Agreed. I sold mine thinking I could buy them back on the low end later. Swing and a miss. :cool:

Can I get a list of the cbsi shills?

Thanks so much

Thanks for volunteering to be the 1st on the list. See all the books you post at inflated prices based on cBSi aricles. The timing is impeccable, it's almost like you know what to post when....Amazing.

(shrug)

Oh, I'd definitely agree, I pick up any Bolland book in nice shape if the price is right, regardless of how many I already have.

(shrug)

This is definitely true as well. Animal Man, Invisibles, Camelot 3000, Gotham Knights, Wonder Woman, etc. All winners all the way around!

Sanity has returned. And east of west is amazing idc if my copies are never worth more then $10 that book is great.

(shrug)

This is definitely true as well. Animal Man, Invisibles, Camelot 3000, Gotham Knights, Wonder Woman, etc. All winners all the way around!

Camelot 3000, now that is an underrated series.

There you go again... :taptaptap: Trying to be REASONABLE.. :whistle::slapfight:

:baiting:

:jokealert:

Thanks so much

Thanks for volunteering to be the 1st on the list. See all the books you post at inflated prices based on cBSi aricles. The timing is impeccable, it's almost like you know what to post when....Amazing.

For example...?

Why are the cbsi shills so hell-bent on making people believe TEC850 is the 1st appearance of the Sirens? Give it up and just accept you are wrong. It's okay, people make mistakes. Own up to it instead of trying to spread more misinformation/disinformation.

Gotham City Sirens #1 is the 1st appearance of the Sirens. Detective Comics #850 is a lead in story; nothing more. Dini wrote both stories and chose to have Catwoman officially bring up the idea of the 3 of them banding together in a story called "Union" in Gotham City Sirens #1. So there is no "team", "union", etc, in Detective Comics #850. So that means no cameo either. You cannot have a cameo of something that has not even been brought up or discussed until Gotham City Sirens #1.

Get it through your thick skulls. Come on now. This isn't about hating on cbsi. It's about getting the right information out there and putting an end to those who get a kick out of spreading bogus info for any number of reasons.

Because alot of them posted Tec 850 for sale with 1st appearance of GCS in the title and will be subject to refunds if Tec 850 is not 1st app.

Thanks Authority and Ween. I write a column for CBSI and was a frequent CGC'er before. I still visit this site on occasion as I like to hear other people's opinion too. I will state honestly that we at CBSI are not pumping and dumping as 90% of us are long time collector's. I personally would welcome everyone to join, as everyone's opinion is warranted when it comes to speculating. Cheers!

The problem is not really people pumping books but people using lies and misinformation to pump books.

It's one thing to say you like East of West and recommend it to others and another to say Showcase '96 3 is the first appearance of the Birds of Prey. Or trying to connect the most trivial, tangentially related to something that's actually hot.

Why are the cbsi shills so hell-bent on making people believe TEC850 is the 1st appearance of the Sirens? Give it up and just accept you are wrong. It's okay, people make mistakes. Own up to it instead of trying to spread more misinformation/disinformation.

Gotham City Sirens #1 is the 1st appearance of the Sirens. Detective Comics #850 is a lead in story; nothing more. Dini wrote both stories and chose to have Catwoman officially bring up the idea of the 3 of them banding together in a story called "Union" in Gotham City Sirens #1. So there is no "team", "union", etc, in Detective Comics #850. So that means no cameo either. You cannot have a cameo of something that has not even been brought up or discussed until Gotham City Sirens #1.

Get it through your thick skulls. Come on now. This isn't about hating on cbsi. It's about getting the right information out there and putting an end to those who get a kick out of spreading bogus info for any number of reasons.

Because alot of them posted Tec 850 for sale with 1st appearance of GCS in the title and will be subject to refunds if Tec 850 is not 1st app.

:gossip: I think BigNoid and RawKing are the same person . . . (shrug)

Thanks Authority and Ween. I write a column for CBSI and was a frequent CGC'er before. I still visit this site on occasion as I like to hear other people's opinion too. I will state honestly that we at CBSI are not pumping and dumping as 90% of us are long time collector's. I personally would welcome everyone to join, as everyone's opinion is warranted when it comes to speculating. Cheers!

I don't know what anyone's motives are or even really care to speculate, but I will say that being a long-time collector doesn't preclude ANYONE from pumping and dumping. And ANYONE who speculates or talks about speculation related to ANY commodity or collectible should accept that there is and should at least be some amount of healthy skepticism regarding potential conflicts of interest. So people shouldn't be shocked if motives are questioned and further investigations are instigated. Feigned outrage at being accused makes one look disingenuous.

But people on the other side should accept that there's no real way to separate the chicken or the egg part out. You should try to hold people accountable to the truth, but if they purposefully operate in a grey area to their own benefit, at some point other people have to be responsible for their decisions based on the information they cared enough to acquire and analyze.

Thanks so much

For example...?

You know what you do and have done. I don't need to bring it up here. I don't understand why people want their dirty laundry out and about all the time. Esepcially when you have a site about comics with "scalping" in the title. You know about word association and market perception right?

Thanks so much

For example...?

You know what you do and have done. I don't need to bring it up here. I don't understand why people want their dirty laundry out and about all the time. Esepcially when you have a site about comics with "scalping" in the title. You know about word association and market perception right?

No examples just personal opinion? You really know how this whole argument thing works.

gF4SJw82_400x400.jpeg

:gossip: I think BigNoid and RawKing are the same person . . . (shrug)

Get real. It's not a conspiracy. More than one person can see the that you guys are pulling with the TEC850/GCS1 debate.

Is it really that odd that more than 1 person is bothered by a group of people spreading misinformation/disinformation in order to look good (by bringing a breaking news spec) and/or make 10x your investment on each copy of TEC850?