• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

MCS isn't doing anything. These are consignments through them. Much like you would not accuse eBay of ripping you off from someone posting a high priced item.

Well actually they are. They are consigning the item. Granted its not their price, but they have no issue taking the commission if it sells.The difference is ebay isn't selling their own product at the same time. I got nothing again MCS personally I buy and sell there periodically its just not an apples to apples comparison.

50 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Well actually they are. They are consigning the item. Granted its not their price, but they have no issue taking the commission if it sells.The difference is ebay isn't selling their own product at the same time. I got nothing again MCS personally I buy and sell there periodically its just not an apples to apples comparison.

If you don't like their practices, you don't have to use them. Same as eBay. If I had a third-party platform, I would allow it all on the chance some lemming buys an overvalued item and I collect on it. It's not free to operate an e-commerce website.

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, Mapleleafvann said:

MCS ripping people off?  Say it isn't so!  You would never be able to tell from their self-published reviews!

Technically its not mcs ripping anyone off. It is a consignment item and the owner of the comic sets the price on mcs website. 

Mycomicshop has nothing to do with the consignment pricing.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

If you don't like their practices, you don't have to use them. Same as eBay. If I had a third-party platform, I would allow it all on the chance some lemming buys an overvalued item and I collect on it. It's not free to operate an e-commerce website.

I am fine with how they run their site it's just not an  equal comparison to eBay which doesn't sell their own products as well.

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

They may profit from wacky prices, but they don't set the consignment prices.  Indeed, too many wacky prices on consignment items hurts them (particularly if they don't have any of their own copies of the same books for sale at the same time)  They spent time grading these books and they have to house them and be responsible for them.  They make no money sitting on a $500 9.8 Darkhawk 1 for 4 years, it's just clutter.

15 minutes ago, the blob said:

They may profit from wacky prices, but they don't set the consignment prices.  Indeed, too many wacky prices on consignment items hurts them (particularly if they don't have any of their own copies of the same books for sale at the same time)  They spent time grading these books and they have to house them and be responsible for them.  They make no money sitting on a $500 9.8 Darkhawk 1 for 4 years, it's just clutter.

agreed.  When I see those prices, I always wonder if they send the owners notices every so often (once or twice a year) showing recent sale prices and asking them if they would like to set 'newer (lower)' prices.  Otherwise its just like free insured storage for my comics.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I am fine with how they run their site it's just not an  equal comparison to eBay which doesn't sell their own products as well.

So, more in line with Amazon. 

Death of hawkman 6 Sienkiewicz variant $9-$20 on ebay today. Glad I ordered 15 of them, maybe I should have picked them up by now! This is the standard B cover, not an incentive or anything like that.

Edited by Bird

35 minutes ago, cujobyte said:

So, more in line with Amazon. 

A vast amount of items sold on Amazon are sold by third parties... basically, a form of consignment insofar as Amazon provides the platform and takes a cut.

I have no issue with MCS or anyone doing consignments as long as it is easy to tell the difference between an item offered by a third party and an item offered by the actual business... and in all examples expressed in this thread, that is the case. I fail to see how MCS is even in a gray area here.

3 hours ago, Bird said:

Death of hawkman 6 Sienkiewicz variant $9-$20 on ebay today. Glad I ordered 15 of them, maybe I should have picked them up by now! This is the standard B cover, not an incentive or anything like that.

Wow---great for you---such a terrific cover!

Vengeance Variant has been selling around that $100 mark for a while now, but the Regular Dell'Otto cover is the better one to look at and flip as it is in $1 bins in many places even though it has seen heights of $25 raw last year prior to A-Force and Ultimates IIRC.

29 minutes ago, UltraMaximus said:

Vengeance Variant has been selling around that $100 mark for a while now, but the Regular Dell'Otto cover is the better one to look at and flip as it is in $1 bins in many places even though it has seen heights of $25 raw last year prior to A-Force and Ultimates IIRC.

Book has been all over honestly.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=vengeance+1+variant+-moon&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xvengeance+1+variant+-moon+-vampirella.TRS0&_nkw=vengeance+1+variant+-moon+-vampirella&_sacat=0

Hey fellow members, I don't usually post a lot on here, mostly look for comics to buy and just read the posts, but i cam across this thread and thought this would be a good place to post this question.

Superior Spiderman #22 (J Scott Campbell variant) has skyrocketed on eBay.  The last time i looked at it, it was going for about $125 unsigned, and now there are two going for around $700!

Can anyone tell me if this is just recent or has it gone up over time while I wasn't paying attention?

I can only guess this is because of all the Venom variants that are being released at the moment?

Any ideas/opinions would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Chipewah said:

Hey fellow members, I don't usually post a lot on here, mostly look for comics to buy and just read the posts, but i cam across this thread and thought this would be a good place to post this question.

Superior Spiderman #22 (J Scott Campbell variant) has skyrocketed on eBay.  The last time i looked at it, it was going for about $125 unsigned, and now there are two going for around $700!

Can anyone tell me if this is just recent or has it gone up over time while I wasn't paying attention?

I can only guess this is because of all the Venom variants that are being released at the moment?

Any ideas/opinions would be appreciated.

#22? $700? (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN 22 VARIANT&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Sorry, I should have put "CGC 9.8".

There are currently two "CGC 9.8" unsigned on eBay for about $700 and one "CGC 9.8" with Stan Lee and J Scott Campbell sig's for about $650.

Just wondering why the sudden increase in price? I bought one "CGC 9.8" with three signatures for $125 about 1-2 years ago and now they are going for the above price.

I am guessing it is just people trying to cash in on the new Venom variants that have come out.