• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, rush_6 said:

Two 9.8's sold over 300 and 1 over 250 with 6 days left. Madness or valid valuation?

The powers that be have convinced their followers that a character whose book can't crack 10k in sales and whose first print first appearance can't crack $10 on eBay is somehow going to be Marvel's next big thing. And let us not forget the disconnect between the actual audience who is still subscribing to the series and the buyers of high-dollar incentive variants. If the fervor over the character was genuine other issues besides the low printed incentive variants would be doing better on the secondary market. Book has been under 10k print run since issue 11. None of the issues since have done anything in terms of seeing a price increase outside of the 1:25 incentive variants for issue #13, touted for the scarcity while completing ignoring the fact that they feature entirely unremarkable cover art.

5 hours ago, darkstar said:

The powers that be have convinced their followers that a character whose book can't crack 10k in sales and whose first print first appearance can't crack $10 on eBay is somehow going to be Marvel's next big thing. And let us not forget the disconnect between the actual audience who is still subscribing to the series and the buyers of high-dollar incentive variants. If the fervor over the character was genuine other issues besides the low printed incentive variants would be doing better on the secondary market. Book has been under 10k print run since issue 11. None of the issues since have done anything in terms of seeing a price increase outside of the 1:25 incentive variants for issue #13, touted for the scarcity while completing ignoring the fact that they feature entirely unremarkable cover art.

In fairness, we don't know what sales are like via Scholastic and to libraries, etc. It may not crack 10K in the DM but the target audience for the book can't be found in the DM anyway.

That said, I agree, there's a disconnect between the actual audience and high-dollar variant buyers.

41 minutes ago, aerischan said:

In fairness, we don't know what sales are like via Scholastic and to libraries, etc. It may not crack 10K in the DM but the target audience for the book can't be found in the DM anyway.

That said, I agree, there's a disconnect between the actual audience and high-dollar variant buyers.

I wish more people understood this.

1 hour ago, aerischan said:

But that is my point. The kids and young adults reading that series aren't the ones paying $350 for a slabbed copy of the variant to issue #1. It's all hype that wasn't there a month ago. False demand for a character that by all indications is not increasing in popularity outside its original intended target group. Vision #1 was released the same month as the first issue of Moon Girl. That series did far better maintaining it's sales levels and actually saw a rebound in its print runs. There was and still is a demand for some of the back issues, above cover price, in that run outside of the first issue. Those metrics don't currently apply to the Moon Girl series. So yes it is madness. When the next copy of a 1:25 variant for issue 13 gets listed and sells for three figures I'll call that madness too.

11 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Somebody gets caught holding the Tulip sooner or later.

Tulip prices will never crash!

2 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

is it like playing hot potato?

Unfortunately for most comic people, no.  I know guys that buy "hot" comics, put them in a box, and sit on them forever.  It does remind me a lot of those sports cards collectors who wonder why those cards they've been sitting on since the late 80s/early 90s are worthless now.  One day, these comic collectors are going to wake up and realize they've been doing this all wrong.  Buy what you like, don't buy what someone else likes!  At least then, there is some semblance of value in your collection.

1 hour ago, rjrjr said:

Unfortunately for most comic people, no.  I know guys that buy "hot" comics, put them in a box, and sit on them forever.  It does remind me a lot of those sports cards collectors who wonder why those cards they've been sitting on since the late 80s/early 90s are worthless now.  One day, these comic collectors are going to wake up and realize they've been doing this all wrong.  Buy what you like, don't buy what someone else likes!  At least then, there is some semblance of value in your collection.

Are we ignoring that all ages of comics are selling for more than they ever have?

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Are we ignoring that all ages of comics are selling for more than they ever have?

Yes.  I was addressing the hot potato comment in the modern section of the forums.  I wasn't talking about all ages.

4 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Yes.  I was addressing the hot potato comment in the modern section of the forums.  I wasn't talking about all ages.

When something is selling for the highest it ever has (Amazing Fantasy 15), there is always a chance of getting stuck buying at the high point.

He-Man Tundercats #1 both covers has been doing pretty good for awhile now.  The whole set is doing decent as well.  I'm waiting for the other sellers on fleabay to sell through, and list a set myself.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=call+of+duty+zombies&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1312.R2.TR10.TRC4.A0.H0.Xhe+.TRS2&_nkw=he-man+thundercats&_sacat=63