• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Agreed maybe we need a different thread for the variants.

I would expect this market to become more difficult over time. Eventually most shops will catch on.  I commend the ones that can still find them in shops cheap. In my area that day has saled.

Variants that are heating up on ebayhm (shrug)

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Agreed maybe we need a different thread for the variants.

I would expect this market to become more difficult over time. Eventually most shops will catch on.  I commend the ones that can still find them in shops cheap. In my area that day has saled.

Producers aren't going to stop making them anytime soon. If shops stop ordering them all that will do is drive up price, which makes shops then want to order them. 

hm

42 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

It seems unlikely - and there really doesn't seem to be a lot of story / art / general modern comic discussion in place of variant / secondary market / "heating up" talk.

That's the big thing I see. You'd be looking at discussion of maybe 1-2 books a year, tops, if you looked outside the variant/exclusive/convention/promotional market. You might see, for instance, cereal pack-in comics heat up or fast food giveaway comics heat up.

Reboots have become too common and major change or narrative has become too difficult. Much of the focus these days is on writing versus art and the writers are running around following editorial edicts.

The "hot" super-hero books in that context would be... Kamala Khan, Amadeus Cho, Damian Wayne, or Jon Kent key issues. Maybe the odd Spider-man or Batman issue.

But in an age when you have writers saying things like "Spider-man can't be married" and "Superman worked better as part of a couple with Lois and the movies convinced the comics division to follow" then there's very little sense that the stories drive the business enough to matter. There are fantastically talented artists but I don't think we're in a superstar age of artists. Going purely on creative merits, books aren't likely to top $25. That doesn't make for very dramatic investor talk and, frankly, I'm not sure how there's a market for CGCing books at that level.

If you're interested in slabbing books, you need books to discuss that have a sales potential of at least around $50. Without that, unless you have a side business selling UV proof frames or slab protectors, you're not generating a high enough investment return to cover storage and gas to the post office. That assumes you're buying books new. If you're buying books that have already started to heat up, you need $80, $100, $150, $300 books. And you probably need some $300 books to subsidize the duds. Variant covers are the only thing capable of generating that kind of buzz at Marvel or DC. At Image, it takes a TV deal. And probably even then a variant cover.

32 minutes ago, Lego said:

So stupid.  The book is still widely available ON THE SHELVES.  This is 

bubblicious.jpg

What's dumb is that, looking at sold listings, it's outselling the variants -- which have the same controversial content inside.

As an aside, I can see, longterm, where 1st print variants might see a higher value because they have controversial content with scarce covers. The standard edition, though? It hasn't been pulped or anything as far as I know. And if it did get pulled at this point, it would still be many times more common than the variants.

2 minutes ago, PatrickG said:

As an aside, I can see, longterm, where 1st print variants might see a higher value because they have controversial content with scarce covers. The standard edition, though? It hasn't been pulped or anything as far as I know. And if it did get pulled at this point, it would still be many times more common than the variants.

I think that Cover A sells for more since Syaf did the cover art for it....so variants and their obscurity notwithstanding, I suppose current buyers want that book.  I've seen most places sold out of Cover A, but still have a good amount of the 1:10 Kirk Corner Box Variants.  

1 minute ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I think that Cover A sells for more since Syaf did the cover art for it....so variants and their obscurity notwithstanding, I suppose current buyers want that book.  I've seen most places sold out of Cover A, but still have a good amount of the 1:10 Kirk Corner Box Variants.  

Incidentally, the corner box variant looks like a great candidate for a signature series.

Edited by PatrickG

Just now, Mapleleafvann said:

Now THAT is a good idea!  Get Syaf's signature on that Corner box variant.....that would sell very nicely.

If you're going to do that, get him to write out a "212" or "QS 5:51" by his name. Not approving of the message but, just saying, his autograph WITH one of the offending references, SS'ed would probably break four digits on eBay.

1 minute ago, PatrickG said:

If you're going to do that, get him to write out a "212" or "QS 5:51" by his name. Not approving of the message but, just saying, his autograph WITH one of the offending references, SS'ed would probably break four digits on eBay.

Agree completely.....he may or may not do it as I guess it depends on where he lands his next gig.  Given the arrogance involved with even loading a book up with hidden meanings, I think he'd sign it like that for some $$.