• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, valiantman said:

Here's another option:  Keep believing that raw equivalents to CGC 9.8 are easy to find, that they are something anyone can identify, and there's no reason for anyone to pay CGC money to slab anything.  My local comic shop has this philosophy.  Lots of outspoken collectors online have this philosophy.  There's not anything that CGC could do for them that they can't do for themselves, using those 300 years of experience they have collecting and grading their own books.

After all, Schroedinger's Comic is always 9.8, heck, it's 9.9 or a 10... as long as you don't send it to CGC and kill the illusion.

Schroedinger collected comics??? lol

On 8/6/2017 at 9:43 PM, Lonzilla said:

New Avengers 8-10 are still selling well, though NA #10 isn't a full appearance of Thane (see Infinity #4) but people still want it and it's not as easy to find multiple copies of in one spot as some may think.

Spawn homage covers are moving up, especially slabs, and it doesn't even have to be a sketch variant

Happy! Looks like the trailer will do the mini series justice and if you scooped up several sets when they hit the 50 cent bins, it's all profit now

I've probably looked 100 places for NA10 and never found one until I found 8 copies in a dealer's $2 stock at Heroes on Saturday. Still haven't found another since, either.

Comichron has the distribution for Jupiter's Legacy #1 at 105,437. There were covers 1A (Quitely), 1B (Hitch) , 1C (Johnson), 1D (Noto), #1 Blank, and the #1 sketch 1:25 (Quitely). There were also Midtown (J Scott Campbell), Forbidden Planet ( Quitely), and Phantom ( Ward ) variants. There was also a 2nd print with a Mike Allred cover. There could be others that I'm unaware of but if there are, I'm sure someone here will put us in the know. 

I buy these regularly and sold some early on. Everyone will have an opinion as which is the one to have. Anecdotally, the Forbidden Planet has been the toughest for me to find in the wild. I don't know if people just hung on to them or if they were short printed. My personal favorites are the 1A/ Sketch by Quitely and the 1B by Hitch. These 2 artists were the main artists on volume ! of The Authority so I'm biased. The Phantom, Forbidden Planet, Sketch, and Blank covers all used to sell well but no idea how they do today.

50 minutes ago, the authority said:

Comichron has the distribution for Jupiter's Legacy #1 at 105,437. There were covers 1A (Quitely), 1B (Hitch) , 1C (Johnson), 1D (Noto), #1 Blank, and the #1 sketch 1:25 (Quitely). There were also Midtown (J Scott Campbell), Forbidden Planet ( Quitely), and Phantom ( Ward ) variants. There was also a 2nd print with a Mike Allred cover. There could be others that I'm unaware of but if there are, I'm sure someone here will put us in the know. 

I buy these regularly and sold some early on. Everyone will have an opinion as which is the one to have. Anecdotally, the Forbidden Planet has been the toughest for me to find in the wild. I don't know if people just hung on to them or if they were short printed. My personal favorites are the 1A/ Sketch by Quitely and the 1B by Hitch. These 2 artists were the main artists on volume ! of The Authority so I'm biased. The Phantom, Forbidden Planet, Sketch, and Blank covers all used to sell well but no idea how they do today.

Almost all of these can still be bought from the original retailers. This book was heavily, heavily spec'd on. 100k for an Image book is huge. That doesn't even include these retailer variants, typically. If I was going to dip a toe in the water on this it would be very gingerly without anything concrete.

1 hour ago, rckstr1253 said:

Is the phantom variant the more rare of the variants/printings?  I have 2 definitely 9.8 condition and debating on getting it graded

I don't think any of the variants from shops stated print runs. Could be wrong but not seeing that information widely available. Rarity does not matter anyway.

On 8/7/2017 at 6:27 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This book is a great investment for any collector:

https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Guide-Grading-Comics-2015/dp/1603601678

The first time I saw the grading guide all I could think was how badly overgraded a lot of the examples were that they used. lol   Seriously, though, the Grading Guide is way too lenient across most grades. It is a decent starting place, but newbies need to make sure they use it as a weak guideline, not the rule.

On 8/7/2017 at 3:24 PM, Wolverine3 said:

Should i pick up an Ultimate Fallout 4 first print for $45 still polybagged? 

Has this comic peaked? Will it hold value? Increase in value?

On 8/7/2017 at 7:43 PM, gradejunky said:

Never, I mean never, trust any seller that is touting a book in a sealed Polybag as 9.8.  This is nigh impossible to tell even in great lighting conditions with book in hand looking from all angles.  I wouldn't even trust a "9.4" grade from anyone.  I personally have 4 copies of this book, all of which looked to be maybe 9.4 or better in bag, to find out not a single copy hits that mark if I'm not mistaken.  I take books out of polybags if I'm going to sell them.  I keep the bag folded up behind the backing board. If buyers really want the bag that bad they have it.  

Which is why I sold mine here for $10 each a while back.  I was underselling if they were 9.6-9.8, probably about right for 9.2-9.4, but I could not make any such determination through the bag.

44 minutes ago, manetteska said:

To preserve the "mystery".

funny, months after it came out apparently one of my shops could not sell it (and they'd usually keep 6 months of books on the rack) and I found them in the 25 cent box.  I didn't know what it was, but i figured at 25 cents for a spidey i couldn't go wrong, at worst I'd give them out at halloween, but I didn't grab them all as they had a ton of other potential halloween fodder in there.  oops.   of course, the same place had dozens of copies of Saga 1 on the racks 3 or 4 months later, so clearly they weren't getting speculators other than me (which is crazy in a big city).   they're gone now.

A lot of good replies here.

I would pass on Jupiter's Legacy. I love the book, but they printed the hell out of it. 

Hulk 22 has been selling very well presell. I hope they all can get their books. Honestly it will probably be the book of year in the back issue market. 

New Avengers 10 is a very hard find for me as well only 2 copies so far and been looking quite a while.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

New Avengers 10 is a very hard find for me as well only 2 copies so far and been looking quite a while.

Tuesday I posted how I only found them one time out of 100. Thursday I found another for $2. NA8 on the other hand, I have NEVER found.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

A lot of good replies here.

I would pass on Jupiter's Legacy. I love the book, but they printed the hell out of it. 

Hulk 22 has been selling very well presell. I hope they all can get their books. Honestly it will probably be the book of year in the back issue market. 

I found 3 copies of NA 10 in 2 days in $1 bins.....then nada!  Two really sharp copies NM-/NM and a VF.  Can't complain with that since I sold the first 2 for $15 each....

You think the winner is Hulk 22?  I kind of wonder if the heat will stay on #21 and keep it there....  Time will tell.....

I was very surprised at Miracle Man #1 this week from Tom King (DC).....wow....nice start to a series.