• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

This is ridiculous to pick out this series though to try and make this point. You can find this type of activity often. I see it a lot as an ebay seller. I see a lot of high priced books end with a 0 feed back buyer. Then, that same book seems to be posted again soon after. I see these types of bids on high priced books and others. Yes, it happens. Yes, its market manipulation. Yes, it sucks. But, it happens at times and especially to hot books and hot products (just watch when a console, phone or something else gets hot). It isn't just comics.

The market isn't perfect and to think that we have to have a crystal clear perfect system to value a book is insane. Just think of the manipulation going on behind the scenes in the physical comic corporate world with other things. Seems like there could be another places to debate those things and this one could just be to keep discussing books that are heating up on ebay like its supposed to be about.

17 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

These are walking dead prices 

minus the ratings

minus 1st appearance

minus the following

minus pretty much anything that walking dead accomplished as a book that this book hasn't. 

As you can see, one can be very suspicious of such hype through sales, regardless of those being shilled or not 

No, wrong on some counts. First. there is a first appearance and eventually CGC will put it on the label Im sure. First appearance of Rick and Morty. Ratings are hard to gauge since this is watched in so many different ways. I don't watch it on TV, I watch it online. IMO, at cons, its not TWD big, but its not far off. Seriously, if you haven't been to a con recently, you don't know. Season 3 R&M (on Adult Swim mind you) is 2-3 million viewers and thats huge considering the channel its on and the fact that its viewed online probably more. Its on Hulu, Amazon and other places too. TWD is easily watched more on AMC than R&M would be on Cartoon Network. The following? TWD has about 1.5m followers on twitter, R&M has almost 1m. So, I don't know what you are getting at. Again, I don't think you know much about the series or the fans/following.

14 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

This is ridiculous to pick out this series though to try and make this point. You can find this type of activity often. I see it a lot as an ebay seller. I see a lot of high priced books end with a 0 feed back buyer. Then, that same book seems to be posted again soon after. I see these types of bids on high priced books and others. Yes, it happens. Yes, its market manipulation. Yes, it sucks. But, it happens at times and especially to hot books and hot products (just watch when a console, phone or something else gets hot). It isn't just comics.

The market isn't perfect and to think that we have to have a crystal clear perfect system to value a book is insane. Just think of the manipulation going on behind the scenes in the physical comic corporate world with other things. Seems like there could be another places to debate those things and this one could just be to keep discussing books that are heating up on ebay like its supposed to be about.

Exactly.  And its not like we don't see it time and again on hot books.

28 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
33 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Exactly.  And its not like we don't see it time and again on hot books.

From time to time ?  Yes.  To this extent?  No. 

True.  These prices certainly allow for a greater deal of manipulation.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

It's pretty worthless unless you have some proof from eBay. Like reporting it to them and them admitting fraudulent activity. And with their current move towards opacity and garnering as much loot as then can, I'm sure they will willing hand over that information.

Discouraging people from looking for red flags or scrutinizing clues related to e-bay shenanigans because there's no confession or smoking gun seems like poor advice in general. 

54 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

No, wrong on some counts. First. there is a first appearance and eventually CGC will put it on the label Im sure. First appearance of Rick and Morty. Ratings are hard to gauge since this is watched in so many different ways. I don't watch it on TV, I watch it online. IMO, at cons, its not TWD big, but its not far off. Seriously, if you haven't been to a con recently, you don't know. Season 3 R&M (on Adult Swim mind you) is 2-3 million viewers and thats huge considering the channel its on and the fact that its viewed online probably more. Its on Hulu, Amazon and other places too. TWD is easily watched more on AMC than R&M would be on Cartoon Network. The following? TWD has about 1.5m followers on twitter, R&M has almost 1m. So, I don't know what you are getting at. Again, I don't think you know much about the series or the fans/following.

IMG_4213.GIF.68bbeacd8b2e73e3f1fdafbb32b6f311.GIF

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

Stop

R&M is good

but I don't care how much u love it or how many ways u can try to convince others to believe it's huge

it ain't walking dead. And it ain't even close. Period. End of story. 

The prices however are

12 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Stop

R&M is good

but I don't care how much u love it or how many ways u can try to convince others to believe it's huge

it ain't walking dead. And it ain't even close. Period. End of story. 

The prices however are

Wait, it ain't the Walking Dead of today, or the Walking Dead of yesteryear? Which Walking Dead?

Not that I have any skin in this game, I'm just curious as to which you're referring to. 

6 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Wait, it ain't the Walking Dead of today, or the Walking Dead of yesteryear? Which Walking Dead?

Not that I have any skin in this game, I'm just curious as to which you're referring to. 

Post TV show obviously as far as prices. And it certainly isn't based on a comic. So there's really no way to compare the two. 

The prices however suggest that we should.

thats the problem I'm having w understanding this market behavior 

Ricky and Morty is very popular with kids and younger adults. 

What we are seeing currently is just greed from jerkwad sellers just pushing the book higher. 
Nothing more nothing less. Big money always brings them out.

WD had and still has the same type of problems. Its not a fair comparison and probably will never be.

The problem is the market is shifting away from comics as a reading medium and more into a manufactured collectible. That's the problem
and its hard to accept especially for people like me who grew up on comics.

18 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Ricky and Morty is very popular with kids and younger adults. 

What we are seeing currently is just greed from jerkwad sellers just pushing the book higher. 
Nothing more nothing less. Big money always brings them out.

WD had and still has the same type of problems. Its not a fair comparison and probably will never be.

The problem is the market is shifting away from comics as a reading medium and more into a manufactured collectible. That's the problem
and its hard to accept especially for people like me who grew up on comics.

R&M 1:50 variant RAW brings 1500-2000$ consistently

WD 1 RAW brings 1400-2000 consistently (probably less)

no other #1 indie modern books bring those numbers consistently

tell me why I shouldn't compare the two

39 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

R&M 1:50 variant RAW brings 1500-2000$ consistently

WD 1 RAW brings 1400-2000 consistently (probably less)

no other #1 indie modern books bring those numbers consistently

tell me why I shouldn't compare the two

When I ignore the single feedback bidder who won three of the four R&M 1:50 copies in that range I come up with this.    :baiting:

1wlb83.jpg

3 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Game of Thrones seems to have decent viewership and to have taken a very prominent place in pop culture. What do Game of Thrones comics sell for? The difference in print runs for the first issue of Game of Thrones compared to R&M is all of 3k copies. Game of Thrones #1 published in 2011. R&M #1 published in 2015. Game of Thrones adapted originally from a series of novels that have sold tens of millions of copies, which would lead one to believe that collectors would be interested in the material being transferred to another medium that also required reading. Game of Thrones also popular at cons (which is a stupid non-metric to begin with). Game of Thrones audience also skews older than R&M which means more disposable income collectively among fans to buy things like comic books that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. And yet the market for Game of Thrones comics is blah.

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

Discouraging people from looking for red flags or scrutinizing clues related to e-bay shenanigans because there's no confession or smoking gun seems like poor advice in general. 

Sure, but there has to be middle ground between that and claiming every slight hint that something might be wrong must be shill bidding.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yet there are people out there that think that the hype behind the R&M comic is organic

Since you have hardly any knowledge about the show or the following and only are looking at a few auctions and bids, Id say you aren't really one to say whether it is or isn't. Until someone can actually prove otherwise, it is. Its just a bunch of tin foil hats without that proof.

I think people who actually watch the show, see whats going on at conventions and know about the demand can understand it much better. Sometimes a show makes people pull out their wallets and this just happens to be one of them.