• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

If u have a couple of minutes read this

http://www.onlythebeat.com/editorials/2014/03/25/hack-beatport-buy-way-top-10

beatport has been a digital download giant to mainly EDM musicians

it has changed the way people consumed music, it has launched the careers of many successful DJs and producers in the genre

it has been exploited since by labels who promoted their artists by buying their own music in order to elevate their artists status

in 2016 SFX LLC (who owns beatport) has filed for bankruptcy mainly due to those market manipulations. 

That is the main reason why I am questioning R&M - AND OUR MARKET

I agree that I don't think there will be long term value in these books. Possibly some of the really rare variants, but not sure. I think these prices are for flipping, but at some point, these prices will come down. Thats why I'm selling.

2 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I generally agree.

But there is a big wide gap between purchasers looking for value and those looking for profit. No way would I look here for value (read: long-term), and at these prices profit (short-term) is likely done too. Which means the book should stop selling, and the price should start dropping. If it doesn't, then you have two possibilities: shills are creating fake sales trying to keep it alive (most likely), or the value concept needs to be re-evaluated.

R&M sales have been steadily climbing in the past few months (year?) 

the book was a 10$ book the first year or so with no market awareness at all

the first spike I believe happened around the time it was mentioned on the show comic book men

feel free to correct me if I'm a little off chronologically 

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

the first spike I believe happened around the time it was mentioned on the show comic book men

I have no idea. I remember it picking up again when the 3rd season timeline was finally announced, but for the most part I have only paid partial attention. I'm still far more a reader of moderns than a real high end collector, I just have a layman's interest in economics and markets.

57 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Here is the most recent active auction.  

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=122723560326&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

It too has the identical shill bidding going on as every single other auction from this month.  Same two shill bidders, 4***y (1) and m***v (52) artificially increasing the price, and apparently not a real bid placed on it after $500 (though I am pretty sure I've seen that w***y (1876) in the other auctions too, now that I think about it).

No offense, but if you're still asking for more "proof", then you're simply denying the obvious and no amount of evidence will ever be enough.  

-J.

As usual, a book that Jaydog doesn't like is obviously :eyeroll: shilled because the same eBay users bid on multiple copies, but when people bid on multiple copies of Batman 608 RRP, he'll perform an entire circus routine to try to convince everyone that everything is legit. :juggle:

5 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

No, it wasn't that drastic of a spike. Just stop. Again, this market has not been completely influenced by a couple shill bidders. :facepalm:

59cb25729eeb6_ScreenShot2017-09-26at11_11_51PM.thumb.png.0556fe13dc249a847e36b474ac4c83c6.png

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

As usual, a book that Jaydog doesn't like is obviously :eyeroll: shilled because the same eBay users bid on multiple copies, but when people bid on multiple copies of Batman 608 RRP, he'll perform an entire circus routine to try to convince everyone that everything is legit. :juggle:

As usual you conflate apples with oranges with your own shill account RMA.

-J.

2 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

No, it wasn't that drastic of a spike. Just stop. Again, this market has not been completely influenced by a couple shill bidders. :facepalm:

59cb25729eeb6_ScreenShot2017-09-26at11_11_51PM.thumb.png.0556fe13dc249a847e36b474ac4c83c6.png

Total market manipulation.  Look at the serial numbers for the grades 9.4 and 9.6. It is literally the same books "selling" over and over again.

It's a complete scam.  

-J. 

The spike in the past few months has been season 3. No one knew when it was going to happen (its been over a year since season 2). Roiland and Harmon kept it secret. Then a few months back (can't remember when) all of a sudden, they released Season 3, episode 1 online (brilliant). Then season 3 started in July. Hype REALLY spiked in the summer.

24 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I agree that I don't think there will be long term value in these books. Possibly some of the really rare variants, but not sure. I think these prices are for flipping, but at some point, these prices will come down. Thats why I'm selling.

You do realize that by you saying this you TOTALLY contradict EVERY bit of claimed enthusiasm u had for this show and it's organic followers who embrace this book as gods gift to comicdom earlier on

Just now, kevhtx said:

which one? Specifically, I see the 2016 average for 9.8 being $194, not $10 like you said.

Will you stop it already???

u know perfectly well this was a 10$ RAW BOOK then and it's a 100$ book now. 

This chart reports weak sales, much much cheaper figures compared to today's market

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

You do realize that by you saying this you TOTALLY contradict EVERY bit of claimed enthusiasm u had for this show and it's organic followers who embrace this book as gods gift to comicdom earlier on

How is that?? Im a capitalist. I can appreciate the fact that a great show has a spike and hype around it (like TWD did) but also will come down. I think the books will hold value short term, but I wouldn't hold onto them long term (personally). I might keep a couple for myself in my collection just because I like the show, but not as an investment.

Please point out the contradiction. Im fan of the show, think its great, see the fanbase at cons and believe its organic, but why does that mean I have to think its gonna live forever? or think that its "gods gift to comicdom"?

14 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Total market manipulation.  Look at the serial numbers for the grades 9.4 and 9.6. It is literally the same books "selling" over and over again.

It's a complete scam.  

-J. 

Oh god....seriously? geez, flipping is common. Im doing it. I guess Im manipulating the market. Be sure to include me in your email to eBay.

1 minute ago, kevhtx said:

Please point it out to me.

I already did. Click the 9.4 and 9.6 "sales" for the 1:50 variant.  The same serial numbers are repeated over and over, creating a phony impression of escalation in price.  The same exact thing has been done with raw copies. There's no way to ascertain a true FMV for the book because virtually every "sale" is fake.  

I haven't even bothered to take a look at the regular cover yet, but Intoanother evidently has followed that book and found plenty of shilling there too.  

-J.

3 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Oh god....seriously? geez, flipping is common. Im doing it. I guess Im manipulating the market. Be sure to include me in your email to eBay.

Really?  The same 9.4 copy "sold"five times in a manner of months. And the same 9.6 "sold" two times in two weeks.  

No, that is not normal market behaviour.   That is somebody (or somebodies) trying to create data points. 

-J.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

Really?  The same 9.4 copy "sold"five times in a manner of months. And the same 9.6 "sold" two times in two weeks.  

No, that is not normal market behaviour.   That is somebody (or somebodies) trying to create data points. 

-J.

Dude, stop with the 1:50. I already said I agree that there could be a couple shill bidders on that one. But, that doesn't mean that the whole R&M market is completely dominated by those bidders. That book is a high value book and like other high value books, someone was taking advantage of it.

Seems like everyone should just be able to accept that their take is an opinion, just like everyone else's - seems more reasonable than :slapfight:

Everyone seems to accept that the value is perhaps artificially high on some of these books, the only argument appears to be over the discrete amount of shilling.