• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Really?  The same 9.4 copy "sold"five times in a manner of months. And the same 9.6 "sold" two times in two weeks.  

No, that is not normal market behaviour.   That is somebody (or somebodies) trying to create data points. 

-J.

Sounds reminiscent of "unreported private sales data." :p

49 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

If u have a couple of minutes read this

http://www.onlythebeat.com/editorials/2014/03/25/hack-beatport-buy-way-top-10

beatport has been a digital download giant to mainly EDM musicians

it has changed the way people consumed music, it has launched the careers of many successful DJs and producers in the genre

it has been exploited since by labels who promoted their artists by buying their own music in order to elevate their artists status

in 2016 SFX LLC (who owns beatport) has filed for bankruptcy mainly due to those market manipulations. 

That is the main reason why I am questioning R&M - AND OUR MARKET

But, but, that's REAL money, not chickenfeed. :grin:

21 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Will you stop it already???

u know perfectly well this was a 10$ RAW BOOK then and it's a 100$ book now. 

This chart reports weak sales, much much cheaper figures compared to today's market

Absolutely was not. This book was a raw (looked NM) and Im a bargain shopper, so probably was more other auctions. Your just making things up as you go. Again, you don't know this market, but just guessing.

59cb2e62764e9_ScreenShot2017-09-26at11_50_00PM.thumb.png.8557b1ce479f013a5cb9c4edd20670d6.png

Edited by kevhtx

13 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Dude, stop with the 1:50. I already said I agree that there could be a couple shill bidders on that one. But, that doesn't mean that the whole R&M market is completely dominated by those bidders. That book is a high value book and like other high value books, someone was taking advantage of it.

The supposedly flagship book in the title is a complete fraud so that does lead me to believe there's probably a lot of trickle down fraud that is creating a false perception of demand for the title in general. It's not just "a couple" of auctions either.  It is literally- literally- all of them.  That's not to say that the actual show itself isn't popular. But like squarechaos said, whether or not that's "really" translating to the comic series, and to what extent, is very sketchy and very debatable. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

The supposedly flagship book in the title is a complete fraud so that does lead me to believe there's probably a lot of trickle down fraud that is creating a false perception of demand. It's not just "a couple" of auctions.  It is literally- literally- all of them.  That's not to say that the show isn't popular. But like squarechaos said, whether or not that's "really" translating to the comic series, and to what extent, is very sketchy and very debatable. 

-J.

I would consider the #1 the flagship book. Not the 1:50. I bet a lot of people don't even know the 1:50 exists. Im sure there are probably some shill bidders on the #1s too. But, I'm sure there are shill bidders on other auctions for other books as well. So, Im not buying that argument. If you analyze TWD when it was hot (and even now sometimes), I have NO doubt, you would find these kind of bidders as well. 

Edited by kevhtx

5 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

It is literally- literally- all of them.

The problem here is. You don't know the market for the series. Im sure when I post this, you will probably just say you knew all of this, but there are a lot of books in this series that are valuable for numerous reasons. This is not just a hot series where some fraud bids drove up the price. This is a hot series that did extremely well for Oni Press, went to multiple prints, many variants, was in high demand and spawned other series. A lot of these are not just won by auction but BIN and Best Offer.

Some of the books that are popular and many are popular for more than just being a R&M book:

#1 Blank Sketch variant

#1 SDCC variant

#1 Colas variant

#1 BAM variant

1:30 #1 Johnny Ryan variant

#1 Four Color Grails variant 

R&M PLYSI #1 Nintendo Power variant

R&M PLYSI Nerd Block variant #1 (I guess they went out of business)

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/09/26/variant-heat-check-92617/

12 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

The problem here is. You don't know the market for the series. Im sure when I post this, you will probably just say you knew all of this, but there are a lot of books in this series that are valuable for numerous reasons. This is not just a hot series where some fraud bids drove up the price. This is a hot series that did extremely well for Oni Press, went to multiple prints, many variants, was in high demand and spawned other series. A lot of these are not just won by auction but BIN and Best Offer.

Some of the books that are popular and many are popular for more than just being a R&M book:

#1 Blank Sketch variant

#1 SDCC variant

#1 Colas variant

#1 BAM variant

1:30 #1 Johnny Ryan variant

#1 Four Color Grails variant 

R&M PLYSI #1 Nintendo Power variant

R&M PLYSI Nerd Block variant #1 (I guess they went out of business)

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/09/26/variant-heat-check-92617/

Just looking at one of these other books with sufficient sales data on GPA, I am seeing the same kind of sketchy "sales" activity I do on the 1:50 (as I suspected I would).  That Four Color Grails variant has had the same two 9.8 copies "sell" seven times since late May.

Unfortunately this is just reinforcing my thoughts on what's going on with this title.  

-J.

3 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Thats not a good direct comparison. I didn't even know there was a GoT comic until a couple weeks ago and Ive been collecting comics for a while now. The marketing behind that comic has been terrible. Plus, I don't even know if the comic is very good. Its also not tied to the show very well compared to R&M being almost exactly like the show. Not comparable at all imo.

Except you are using anecdotal evidence to make your point, which means nothing. If you want to argue that R&M is doing what it is on the secondary market because of the popularity of the property then the comparison to Game of Thrones is a valid comparison. Good stories don't command $2000 on the secondary market. 

Sure. Ok. If you think that GoT comic book series is a good comparison then by all means stick to it. How successful is it? Do you have numbers for that one? Like I said, I hadn't heard much about it. I almost guarantee you that its relatively low print and probably not near the popularity (comic series) as the R&M series. That doesn't have to have to do with the TV show either. There are so many factors involved in that (Oni Press marketing, leg work of those employees at cons, social media, word of mouth and so on). Maybe that GoT series will catch on.  Remember R&M started in 2015 and that GoT JUST started this year. So, its hard to compare the two right now. 

As for R&M, I just made a $1000+ sale, so I guess I should tell them that it was based on fraud though (It took half a day to sell). 

Edited by kevhtx

9 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Absolutely was not. This book was a raw (looked NM) and Im a bargain shopper, so probably was more other auctions. Your just making things up as you go. Again, you don't know this market, but just guessing.

59cb2e62764e9_ScreenShot2017-09-26at11_50_00PM.thumb.png.8557b1ce479f013a5cb9c4edd20670d6.png

I stand corrected.

It was much much lower than 10.. Borderline dollar bin book

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Just looking at one of these other books with sufficient sales data on GPA, I am seeing the same kind of sketchy "sales" activity I do on the 1:50 (as I suspected I would).  That Four Color Grails variant has had the same two 9.8 copies "sell" seven times since late May.

Unfortunately this is just reinforcing my thoughts on what's going on with this title.  

-J.

I'm pretty sure the seller of the multiple Four Color Grails slabs is just not updating his listings from one to the next, that's all. I do know that he did indeed have several copies at one time, and possibly several more. 

54 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I stand corrected.

It was much much lower than 10.. Borderline dollar bin book

Youre a smart guy posting ebay auctions from 2015 trying to prove a point about 2016. :facepalm:

It was released April 2015 so those prices at that time are not surprising and actually show a slow rise ($10/book by that last auction you show).

I have no skin in this game, but remember that thanks to Rick and Morty, a bottle of McDonald's Szechuan sauce sold for 14k.

The fans are...dedicated.

51 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

I'm pretty sure the seller of the multiple Four Color Grails slabs is just not updating his listings from one to the next, that's all. I do know that he did indeed have several copies at one time, and possibly several more. 

I've seen this happen a lot with slabs - people don't bother taking a new pic or updating a description.

Just now, SquareChaos said:

I've seen this happen a lot with slabs - people don't bother taking a new pic or updating a description.

Im guilty of that. I have a few All New Wolverine #1 signed by Bengal. His signature looks EXACTLY the same on all of them. I really should take new pics since the number is different.

16 hours ago, bababooey said:

Discouraging people from looking for red flags or scrutinizing clues related to e-bay shenanigans because there's no confession or smoking gun seems like poor advice in general. 

Already agreed there was shilling. Please keep up.

8 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Sure. Ok. If you think that GoT comic book series is a good comparison then by all means stick to it. How successful is it? Do you have numbers for that one? Like I said, I hadn't heard much about it. I almost guarantee you that its relatively low print and probably not near the popularity (comic series) as the R&M series. That doesn't have to have to do with the TV show either. There are so many factors involved in that (Oni Press marketing, leg work of those employees at cons, social media, word of mouth and so on). Maybe that GoT series will catch on.  Remember R&M started in 2015 and that GoT JUST started this year. So, its hard to compare the two right now. 

As for R&M, I just made a $1000+ sale, so I guess I should tell them that it was based on fraud though (It took half a day to sell). 

The original Game of Thrones volume started in 2011. Clash of Kings started this year. Print runs on the first series started at 20k and finished around 6k for the final issues. So its an older series, with a comparable and eventual lesser print run than R&M, with incentive variants and store exclusives for the first issue, that has nowhere near the prices on the secondary market. So either the GoT books are tremendously undervalued or a property's fan base from another medium doesn't necessarily translate into a demand for comics. But yes, continue to tell me that R&M's price growth is due to an organic demand from its legions of fans, which somehow currently translates into a series that sells all of 10k copies per month.