• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I chose to take advantage of a hot show out right now. Its called "capitalism"

You just did it again "capitalist"

You just chose to pretend that the countless points of scam and shills brought to you here are nonexistent

Thanks for clarifying my point

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Rick and Morty had a cult following before the book first came out and it didnt sell out at stores like many books with far less less popularity. The book sat at the shelves for many months, almost a year till it started to gain real value. I pointed out many sold listings with accurate figures that book had in 2015 all the way to 2016 where the book was selling at an average of $5-10.

I havent studied the shills as Jaydog did, but I will give him credit for exposing the 1:50 shill fiasco, I was not aware of it. 

Its not far fetched to think that the shills helped the book reach Walking Dead status in sales, given that in just a few short month it has outperformed any modern title in the secondary market in volume and figures

This has been discussed throughly by us just last week, until @IntoAnother brought up the subject of shilling again.

Clearly, people here are concerned that theres market manipulation with this property.

Clearly this SHOULD affect ANYBODY that cares about our hobby

Those who chose to treat this scam as a money making stock have openly expressed their views in this topic and I therefore chose to ignore them in this dialog.

Every book that gets attention on a "speculator" site is manipulated.  I remember pointing out something similar on these boards for Monstress.  The book came out and sold for cover price or less until it was featured on one of those sites.  Then the prices took off.

You pretty much are going to have to ignore everyone who posts in this thread since just about all of 'em are trying to make money off of scams.

Edited by rjrjr

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

You just did it again "capitalist"

You just chose to pretend that the countless points of scam and shills brought to you here are nonexistent

Thanks for clarifying my point

Extremely transparent cheap shots. I was preparing for issue #1 sales late last year (going to LA Comic Con to get signatures from creators). There are people on these boards that know me and have met me in person at cons (at that con specifically too).

7 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

You pretty much are going to have to ignore everyone who posts in this thread since just about all of 'em are trying to make money off of scams.

Theres a big difference between speculating and being accused of trying to make money based on scams and shilled bids.

17 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Every book that gets attention on a "speculator" site is manipulated.  I remember pointing out something similar on these boards for Monstress.  The book came out and sold for cover price or less until it was featured on one of those sites.  Then the prices took off.

Hyping a book is not a scam. 

shilling is

45 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Hyping a book is not a scam. 

shilling is

Well, I got you both to agree on something. :) Scam was the incorrect word for me to use.

Many times those speculation sites use false information.  If I use the word "lie" would that be better?

17 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Well, I got you both to agree on something. :) Scam was the incorrect word for me to use.

Many times those speculation sites use false information.  If I use the word "lie" would that be better?

This is a speculation site....and you're on it 

:whatthe:

Look at the data and you cant argue demand isn't there. BINs and Auctions for Issue 1 1st print are fairly consistent and from multiple sellers. 

The other stuff I cant speak too it does look very fishy, but there is demand for the book no denying that. Is being hyped up? I am sure to some
extent, but there is enough data, but reputable sellers to prove the demand is there. Even 4th prints are a consistent $35-40 book.

27 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Look at the data and you cant argue demand isn't there. BINs and Auctions for Issue 1 1st print are fairly consistent and from multiple sellers. 

The other stuff I cant speak too it does look very fishy, but there is demand for the book no denying that. Is being hyped up? I am sure to some
extent, but there is enough data, but reputable sellers to prove the demand is there. Even 4th prints are a consistent $35-40 book.

Pardon the seeming *ahem* arrogance if quoting myself.  But what the heck, it seemed like the perfect reply (again) lol :

Fake auctions with fake prices on a TV property with a cult following created a buzz in the comic book community, even though the series itself does not sell particularly well. Then bandwagon picked up some steam which led to some legitimate sales that enshrined the earlier fake ones.  I don't think there is a single legitimate auction of any issue of this book on eBay that has closed for over $500.  Sure you have a couple convenient "buy-it-now's" on there but those are easier to fake than auctions.   At some point though there will have to be enough real buyers to sustain these artificially inflated prices.  That's when we'll find out how popular this property really is, or whether it was simply propped up by pump and dumpers.

-J.

9 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Fake auctions with fake prices on a TV property with a cult following created a buzz in the comic book community, even though the series itself does not sell particularly well. Then bandwagon picked up some steam which led to some legitimate sales that enshrined the earlier fake ones.  

This is my assumption as well. 

Well said

All three of the current listings for this book all still have active bids that are suspected as shills by "4***y" (3).

If you have a few seconds please report them. 

Rick and Morty #1 Justin Roiland 1:50 Variant Cover - Very Rare!! - Holy Grail!! https://www.ebay.com/i/192322500915

Rick and Morty #1 1:50 variant (2015, Oni Press) https://www.ebay.com/i/272871140380

Rick and Morty #1 Roiland Variant - Oni Press 1:50 VARIANT https://www.ebay.com/i/263238957764

Or like me and others, you could just see the TV ratings, the target audience being comic book fanbase along with actually walking around cons and seeing rabid fans dressed up like the show and realize maybe the hype is real. But, we could also just go with the fact that none of these people buy comics and that they are being fooled into buying them by some fake auctions/bids:

59d585554a4a1_New_York_Comic_Con_2015_-_Rick__Morty_(22119642625).thumb.jpg.0697de5a434c9050d6bf8b1a81aa6a9b.jpg59d5855ead981_New_York_Comic_Con_2015_-_Rick__Morty_(22107091472).thumb.jpg.884040a89525a0f80959724eb4bd2f30.jpg

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

It must be a disease. But then again, all of these people are low income and can't afford comics so they probably can't afford healthcare either.

10 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

All three of the current listings for this book all still have active bids that are suspected as shills by "4***y" (3).

If you have a few seconds please report them. 

Rick and Morty #1 Justin Roiland 1:50 Variant Cover - Very Rare!! - Holy Grail!! https://www.ebay.com/i/192322500915

Rick and Morty #1 1:50 variant (2015, Oni Press) https://www.ebay.com/i/272871140380

Rick and Morty #1 Roiland Variant - Oni Press 1:50 VARIANT https://www.ebay.com/i/263238957764

Done (thumbsu

Nobody's arguing those aren't red flags on that dumb high end book, but the outright denial that this book as a whole doesn't have traction
is ridiculous.

I think the book is dumb as all get out, but there are too many recorded sales by solid ebay sellers to call all
sales fake and no demand. That just ignorance in the end sales are sales. When a 4th print of the book has repeated sales BINs its
time to admit there is some demand. 

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Nobody's arguing those aren't red flags on that dumb high end book, but the outright denial that this book as a whole doesn't have traction
is ridiculous.

I think the book is dumb as all get out, but there are too many recorded sales by solid ebay sellers to call all
sales fake and no demand. That just ignorance in the end sales are sales. When a 4th print of the book has repeated sales BINs its
time to admit there is some demand. 

There are more shills of this property than digital animation cells in a single episode