• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

This is kinda like you asking Coca Cola "but why do u need a $4m ad on the super bowl when u have people buying your product already?"

u have to realize that NO product is sought after by the masses without having perceived higher value

while there's no harm in advertising your product legally, there is great harm in hacking your product to the top charts illegally 

that's all these shills are - hacked ads

Except the flaw in your logic is that the Szechuan sauce hype happened more recently. It was in season 3 episode 1 and started gaining a following on social media because of the creators doing some funny bits with it along with other organic fan attention it was getting via social. And now, press attention. The books (BINs included) have been selling well for months (arguably over a year if you look at the rise of price versus just the amounts now).

The unanticipated drop of Season 3 was a catalyst that has helped surge prices, but anticipation of a long awaited new season, lack of R&M content, growing fanbase via word of mouth/blurays/VOD/internet viewing all helped the comic sales. Deny it or not, everyone else understands it except a couple of you. And as has been said, any hot series will attract some shill bidding. Im sure when TWD was hot, you could find the same trends of occasional shill bidding (and I'm not talking about the 1:50 Roiland variant book). Actually, I bet it was worse because TWD was hotter than R&M ever was in its heyday.

13 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Except the flaw in your logic is that the Szechuan sauce hype happened more recently. It was in season 3 episode 1 and started gaining a following on social media because of the creators doing some funny bits with it along with other organic fan attention it was getting via social. And now, press attention. The books (BINs included) have been selling well for months (arguably over a year if you look at the rise of price versus just the amounts now).

The unanticipated drop of Season 3 was a catalyst that has helped surge prices, but anticipation of a long awaited new season, lack of R&M content, growing fanbase via word of mouth/blurays/VOD/internet viewing all helped the comic sales. Deny it or not, everyone else understands it except a couple of you. And as has been said, any hot series will attract some shill bidding. Im sure when TWD was hot, you could find the same trends of occasional shill bidding (and I'm not talking about the 1:50 Roiland variant book). Actually, I bet it was worse because TWD was hotter than R&M ever was in its heyday.

You asking us to make sense out of "the evolution" of R&M's popularity is probably more difficult to us than you grasping the fact of how blatant you come across here to others as a dealer whos sole interest in engaging in this conversation is to protect your investment

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

You asking us to make sense out of "the evolution" of R&M's popularity is probably more difficult to us than you grasping the fact of how blatant you come across here to others as a dealer whos sole interest in engaging in this conversation is to protect your investment

First off, you can call me a dealer. A better description, and probably like a lot of people on this board who speculate, is that I just happen to buy an extra copy or 2 of a book that I think will be popular, keep one for myself and sell the others for a profit. I do it to pay for my own personal collection. It allows me to buy more comics for myself. Not my day job. Not illegal and I don't scam people in any way or use false information.

When talking about this subject, Im a big fan of the show and have been for more than a year. Im knowledgable about the subject and the fans unlike others who when the subject initially came up had no clue what it even was and made shot in the dark guesses at why it got hot on eBay. All were wrong and the predictions of it falling off were wrong. They were wrong because of the fans and the popularity of the show. And I believe the fraud theory of the ENTIRE R&M series being based on a scam is ludicrous too based on the number of sales of not only issue #1, all the variants, but also all of the following issues and even further issues in the series. AND, the consistent print run numbers for Oni Press. Theres no denying those facts or the real BIN sales that I have had that are not fake or frauds.

Others have pointed valid points out, you just don't want to acknowledge it. Ive acknowledged that the 1:50 has shilled bids and I even reported it to eBay. Ive even acknowledged that theres probably some shilled bids in some other auctions in the series. But, theres overwhelming numbers in sales of the series that there no way that it would affect the series as a whole. Especially since there are so many BINs/Fixed bid sales and raw sales that aren't in GPA data along with tons of other products that have nothing to do with comics. A few shilled bids wouldn't have any affect on them.

I am sure you will just respond with another cheap shot about me selling books or another vague theory about fraud somehow possibly affecting the series, but with no real data to back it up. Like I said before, if you really believed that and had data to back it up, you should be contacting eBay and sending them your data so they could be investigating it. But, you will just dig in your heels and adjust your tin foil hat.

3 hours ago, Flatliner1313 said:

Someone had the ridiculous money to spend on the sauce.

And they did.

20837005_108988503151528_920292511489772

PS: If you don't recognize him without the mouse head, that is Deadmau5.

There is always that wild card value of interested wealthy person. 

4 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

The McDonalds sauce auctions are obviously jokes. The actual R&M book auctions, some of this, and some of that.

What sauce, the little dipping sauces? No, those are actually real. It's a limited edition item.

The large bottle is a limited edition of 3 from what I am gathering from the tweet that was included in the listing. 3 in the world.

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

This is kinda like you asking Coca Cola "but why do u need a $4m ad on the super bowl when u have people buying your product already?"

u have to realize that NO product is sought after by the masses without having perceived higher value

while there's no harm in advertising your product legally, there is great harm in hacking your product to the top charts illegally 

that's all these shills are - hacked ads

These are limited edition. McDonald's said they would only be available for one day. "Perceived higher value" has nothing to do with it. People are not buying these to resell.

3 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Limited edition dipping sauce as collectible. Sure, why not. CGC should encapsulate them.

I'm sure some people would say the same thing about a comic book. Everybody collects different things for different reasons. But, of course, it you mention that on these boards you are wrong and everything is created from a false market.

11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I'm sure some people would say the same thing about a comic book. Everybody collects different things for different reasons. But, of course, it you mention that on these boards you are wrong and everything is created from a false market.

My dad has Dr. Pepper bottles (unopened) from Crimson Tide football with Bear Bryant on them. I have no idea how old they are. Yes, I think some things are ridiculous. A lot of collectibles are. Funko Pop vinyls??

Now days, advertisers are doing everything they can to market. Its the wild west again. Traditional marketing doesn't work. Look how McDonalds is jumping on board a simple reference to this sauce from that episode.

38 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Now days, advertisers are doing everything they can to market. Its the wild west again. Traditional marketing doesn't work. Look how McDonalds is jumping on board a simple reference to this sauce from that episode.

Traditional marketing works fine, they're just always coming up with new ways to market items.

Also, collecting food stuffs is not really comparable to collecting Americana or comics or art, etc.

Edited by SquareChaos

1 minute ago, SquareChaos said:

Traditional marketing works fine, they're just always coming up with new ways to market items.

Also, collecting food stuffs is not really comparable to collecting Americana or comics or art, etc.

When I say traditional marketing, I mean print ads, TV advertisements and what marketing used to rely on even just a few years ago. Even now, online advertisements are always evolving and advertisers have to stay on top of it. Advertising evolves much faster than it did 10-20 years ago. This year, its video ads, next year, it may be something else. Viral marketing, influencer marketing and other tools are very successful as well. Its a different world than it was just a few years ago. These viral campaigns aren't going to go away.

9 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

It also probably depends on if he was actually keeping it for a collection or going to eat it. ;) 

8 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

It also probably depends on if he was actually keeping it for a collection or going to eat it. ;) 

They can just go to McDonalds and stock up on the cheap soon. Though I imagine with it being a one day thing they are likely to run out in a lot of stores.

22 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

They can just go to McDonalds and stock up on the cheap soon. Though I imagine with it being a one day thing they are likely to run out in a lot of stores.

It's the variant of sauces. That's like saying you can walk into a comic shop whenever you want and get the hot variant at cover price.

I think, like most things, the truth about this entire thing is likely somewhere near the middle.

These books (and sauces, and whatever else) are likely much more popular, and currently more valuable, and the fanbase generally more rabid, than the naysayers realize.

On the flipside, when there is money to be made, the sharks will circle, and there can be no doubt that there is shilling activity most likely happening in certain cases, especially with the pricier pieces.

I like the show a lot, but I don't collect R&M stuff, nor do I have any to sell (nor have I HAD any to sell.) I have no skin in this game.

You're all right. And you're all wrong. Now let it drop, ferchrissakes.

11 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Product= R&M ≠ sauce

"Can you share the results of this survey you obviously conducted " :baiting:

Fair enough.....people could analytically be buying to resell at a higher price. Nothing is an absolute.

It's a sauce. Unless you are saying is soilent green?

Edited by ygogolak