• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, kevhtx said:

First off, you can call me a dealer

I dont have to. You did

Im a big fan of the show and have been for more than a year

Youre not a BIG fan of the show, just a big fan of money, if you say this:

On 9/27/2017 at 12:01 AM, kevhtx said:

I agree that I don't think there will be long term value in these books. Possibly some of the really rare variants, but not sure. I think these prices are for flipping, but at some point, these prices will come down. Thats why I'm selling.

I am sure you will just respond with another cheap shot 

I dont have to. I can just quote you in order to accomplish that

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Fair enough.....people could analytically be buying to resell at a higher price. Nothing is an absolute.

It's a sauce. Unless you are saying is soilent green?

My reference to the word "product" when comparing to Coke was R&M, not the sauce, is what I meant

The quotation requesting you for statistics was a "cheap shot" :roflmao:

Luckily for me you love me and wont get bent out of shape for flirting with ya in public :blush:

14 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Well, telling me Im not a big fan of the show is a judgement that you have no clue about and simply shows how you are continuing to take this to personal, cheap shots. And, I am a big fan of money because I am a big fan of comics and selling these extra books that I buy and making that money allows me to buy them. So, sure, I am. Who isn't? That doesn't instantly make me Gordon Geeko. Im not robbing people or scamming people in any way. If I am, then you must have a problem with every facilitator on this site who does this for a living.

And, as I thought. you had no data to back up any of your fraud claims. Did you contact eBay with any of it? It would be great if you could be the savior of all these poor victims of this large R&M market manipulation conspiracy.

14 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Well, telling me Im not a big fan of the show is a judgement that you have no clue about and simply shows how you are continuing to take this to personal, cheap shots. And, I am a big fan of money because I am a big fan of comics and selling these extra books that I buy and making that money allows me to buy them. So, sure, I am. Who isn't? That doesn't instantly make me Gordon Geeko. Im not robbing people or scamming people in any way. If I am, then you must have a problem with every facilitator on this site who does this for a living.

And, as I thought. you had no data to back up any of your fraud claims. Did you contact eBay with any of it? It would be great if you could be the savior of all these poor victims of this large R&M market manipulation conspiracy.

33 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I think, like most things, the truth about this entire thing is likely somewhere near the middle.

These books (and sauces, and whatever else) are likely much more popular, and currently more valuable, and the fanbase generally more rabid, than the naysayers realize.

On the flipside, when there is money to be made, the sharks will circle, and there can be no doubt that there is shilling activity most likely happening in certain cases, especially with the pricier pieces.

I like the show a lot, but I don't collect R&M stuff, nor do I have any to sell (nor have I HAD any to sell.) I have no skin in this game.

You're all right. And you're all wrong. Now let it drop, ferchrissakes.

You basically summed up what most of us have been saying about the market.

On 3/11/2017 at 11:20 PM, BishopT said:

Any thoughts on whether Rick and Morty #1 can maintain its pretty crazy sudden price jump? For a book to go from the $30ish level to over $100 in some cases seems pretty crazy for what it actually is. The blank and ratio variants seem to be nothing but money right now, even the BAM/2NC variant that was a dime a dozen around here a year or two ago has jumped up significantly.

This is the first time that anyone here actually noticed that this book/property is heating up. (03/11/2017)

Almost 2 years after its published release (!)

Just as BishopT's fascination with this "pretty crazy sudden price jump" on something that "was a dime a dozen around here a year or two ago"

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Add the astronomically high price shill'd auctions to this ALL ACROSS THE BOARD, and you can see why anyone with even the slightest grasp of market behavior would question this property's credibility

18 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I don't remember Beavis and Butthead or Ren and Stimpy memorabilia ever getting so ridiculous,  and they had comics too.  

Different age.  We didn't have comic "keys" being driven up in price by movies or variant issues fetching thousands of dollars within months of being available back then either.

There are a lot of collectors with a lot of money to burn these days.

Edited by rjrjr

28 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

This is the first time that anyone here actually noticed that this book/property is heating up. (03/11/2017)

Just as BishopT's fascination with this "pretty crazy sudden price jump" on something that "was a dime a dozen around here a year or two ago"

Add the astronomically high price shill'd auctions to this ALL ACROSS THE BOARD, and you can see why anyone with even the slightest grasp of market behavior would question this property's credibility

Air date: February 26, 2017

39 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

So, basically, you think he is not a true fan because he is 1) a dealer,  2) has realistic expectation about the long term value of the R&M comics, and 3) sells R&M comics.  (shrug)  What does any of that have to do with him being a fan of the show or not?

And now, because these boards didn't notice the book heating up, of which there are a ton of books heating up these boards don't ever recognize, so ... (shrug)

You've been around long enough to know books jump up in price all the time for flimsier reasons than having a hit show and a cult following.  Not sure why you picked this particular book to make some sort of statement about.  Also not sure why you have to keep making feeble attempts at knocking a property which clearly, to anyone who is objectively looking at this, has heat.

And we've seen some indication that select auctions have been shilled, but no proof this is "ALL ACROSS THE BOARD" contrary to what you and Jaydog keep stating.  Jaydog has a tendency to yell shill, shill, shill every time he sees a book move that he doesn't like.  A few years ago, it was Star Wars (1977) #1, yet here we are a few years later and that book still fetches decent prices.  I guess that was a long term conspiracy that is still being exploited.

Edited by rjrjr

24 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

The book didn't jump overnight though, as displayed (by you too in an earlier thread where you posted some auctions), the first year, first few months it went up to about $10/book by end of summer 2015, then was slowly going up. By summer of the next year, it was probably around $25-30, then the second series spin-off happened (Lil' Pooper Scooper). Im sure that had some collectors thinking that the series is successful so they should start buying the first series. By the time I purchased mine in October 2016, it was on the 4th printing of #1 (possibly 5th, Im not sure, but I bought a 4th print and 1st print). My 1st print was $45 and 4th print was cheap. Cant remember that price. As these books start getting over $50 like that, its not hard for them to get over $100 as they get steam.

All that time, here was the season schedule and the comic schedule

Comic book - April 2015 - current

Season 2 - Aug 2015 - Oct 2015 

The series start getting a ton of word of mouth during/after season two. I think that was a major turning point for it. I learned about it then and so did most of my friends. In my opinion thats why the books took off. People watched the season, wanted more content, saw the comics and boom. Started buying the books. Fans wanted collectibles. Not that hard to imagine. It wasn't overnight. Season 3 episode 1 shocked everyone and was dropped online April 1 2017. Rest of season 3 was Jul-Oct 1 2017. Typical hot TV series where people want content and sought it out. Ebay was one of the sources and the comics were collectibles. Im sure a lot of those buyers with low ratings and low numbers of item bids could also just be new users. Doesn't have to always be fake/fraud bids. These types of activities draws that type of users who haven't used eBay before but want the items. And yes, it also brought out the fake/frauds too. 

I wonder how many people who watched the walking dead who never bought comics went online and bought TWD comics because they liked the show and wanted collectibles? Im sure a lot.

This is all well and good, but the viability of the product remains highly suspect due to the rampant and relentless shilling of every single auction of the title over the last few months, including  every single auction for the 1:50 that is ongoing now.  Those shills on that sauce and poster auction are also stupid and even more obvious (not that that seemed possible).  

Real books with real demand don't need to be propped up by non-stop fraud and chicanery.  

-J.

7 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

So, basically, you think he is not a true fan because he is 1) a dealer,  2) has realistic expectation about the long term value of the R&M comics, and 3) sells R&M comics.  (shrug)  What does any of that have to do with him being a fan of the show or not?

He is a dealer - by his own admission

He is a big fan - by his own admission

Of course none of this has ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS debate

It has EVERYTHING TO DO with him being biased. Especially when NO ONE IS EVEN ASKING HIM for this info :ohnoez:

11 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

You've been around long enough to know books jump up in price all the time for flimsier reasons than having a hit show and a cult following.  

Yes I have, read on from here please:

On 9/25/2017 at 5:35 PM, Aweandlorder said:

43 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Air date: February 26, 2017

Exactly as I noted last week

On 9/27/2017 at 12:05 AM, Aweandlorder said:

R&M sales have been steadily climbing in the past few months (year?) 

the book was a 10$ book the first year or so with no market awareness at all

the first spike I believe happened around the time it was mentioned on the show comic book men

feel free to correct me if I'm a little off chronologically 

9 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

This is all well and good, but the viability of the product remains highly suspect due to the rampant and relentless shilling of every single auction of the title over the last few months, including  every single auction for the 1:50 that is ongoing now.  Those shills on that sauce and poster auction are also stupid and even more obvious (not that that seemed possible).  

Real books with real demand don't need to be propped up by non-stop fraud and chicanery.  

-J.

There have been 1,284 rick and morty comic sales on eBay in the past few months.  And every single auction has been shilled. :eyeroll:  Even those that only sold for a few bucks?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics/63/i.html?_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=rick+and+morty+comic

Just how many people are in on this conspiracy exactly?  And when did you have the time to check each and every one of these auctions?

Edited by rjrjr