• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2017 at 7:05 AM, King Midas said:

If you click on any one of those $40-$45 auctions for the sauce, the seller states that the winner/bidder is paying for information on how to obtain the sauce.  Heard majority of, if not all, McDonald's only received 20-30 of the packets per store, which is why the prices are high.  I mean look at the posters - they're going for over $200.  Sad thing is McDonald's made some bootleg wannabe Rick & Morty promotion and R&M fans are paying so much for it.

Yea, Out of the list of stores that had the poster promotion, only a small handful of those stores got the sauce. And out of those stores those that had  the Szechuan sauce got between 20 and 30 packets each store.

From my understanding it was like 5-10 locations per state I believe. So it made a lot of angry people.

Edited by Rip

So many thoughts all at the same time.

1. I'm glad people enjoy things, Rick & Morty included.

2. This is why 'fan' comes from 'fanatic.'

3. I wouldn't wait in a 10 minute drive-thru line for a gallon of dipping sauce of any flavor.

4. Those poor McDonald's employees...

5. What about comic books?

Edited by SquareChaos
Clarity

10 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

5. What about comic books?

My only thought about the sauce is I wonder if people are actually eating it. But, I agree with this. Back to comics. I assume there has to be something out there heating up on eBay. Haha.

eBay had a 20% off promotion for NYCC this weekend so I grabbed some raw NYCC exclusive books, but don't know if any of those are actually moving real well. I haven't seen any blowing up out there. I got some Realm and Sink books.

45 minutes ago, Rip said:

Have you seen the dozens of videos, news stories online with riots and hundreds upon hundreds of people waiting in line for the sauce. People were camping at 4:30 in the morning  to get the stuff.

Okay, so since I barely have a life I actually watched all of these videos.  Upon doing so, the first thing that came into my mind was:  "I don't think many, if any of these people are actually Rick and Morty fans, or have even seen the show".

So I did a little research on the sauce itself.  Turns out, there is already a pre-existing pop cultural following for the sauce.  Which is why it was featured in a Rick and Morty episode in the first place.  It's kind of like the McRib, except instead of coming out once a year, it's once every several years.  Packets of the sauce of already been known to have traded on the secondary market (unbelievably so, but hey, you learn something everyday).  So I now have to call "B.S." even more so, because that show is entirely incidental to the turn out that you see for the sauce.  Maaaaybe it brought a certain contingency of fans out, but this showing that you are seeing is 95% for the sauce already, and maybe only about 5% or less because of the Rick and Morty, and I'm sure many of these people are planning on trying to make a quick buck by selling this already very popular sauce, which just so happens to incidentally have a Rick and Morty tie-in this time.  People who are trying to pump this show (really, the comics more so on these boards), and use this as some kind of additional "evidence" of this fake Rick and Morty hype are beating a dead horse with a red herring here with this.   Squarechaos is right, this is all silly and has no business being discussed in this forum, and now that I see how stupid it really is, I agree it would be nice to get back on topic for the thread.  2c

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

...but this showing that you are seeing is 95% for the sauce already, and maybe only about 5% or less because of the Rick and Morty,...People who are trying to pump this show (really, the comics more so on these boards), and use this as some kind of additional "evidence" of this fake Rick and Morty hype are beating a dead horse with a red herring here with this....

I give up at this point. J is absolutely right. R&M is not that popular of a show and the market for all its products, comics and this sauce is all fake. (worship) (worship) (worship)

Happy now?? Lets move on. 

17 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I give up at this point. J is absolutely right. R&M is not that popular of a show and the market for all its products, comics and this sauce is all fake. (worship) (worship) (worship)

Happy now?? Lets move on. 

There is another thread in the water cooler about it. Just look at all the R&M T-shirts etc. Its more like 99% because of R&M fans. Just watch a few more videos. It was after the show that the sauce madness started. http://time.com/4744570/mcdonalds-szechuan-sauce-ebay/

There are some other videos that better discuss the history.

Supplies quickly ran out when hordes of rabid "Rick and Morty" fans descended on McDonald's restaurants in Welllington, Florida, and also New York City, where ComicCon was underway.

McDonald's (MDNDF)admitted that it didn't anticipate the fervor

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/09/news/companies/rick-and-morty-mcdonalds/index.html

http://www.freep.com/story/life/food/2017/10/07/rick-and-morty-fans-szechuan-sauce-mcdonalds/742730001/

Edited by Rip

13 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Okay, so since I barely have a life I actually watched all of these videos.  Upon doing so, the first thing that came into my mind was:  "I don't think many, if any of these people are actually Rick and Morty fans, or have even seen the show".

So I did a little research on the sauce itself.  Turns out, there is already a pre-existing pop cultural following for the sauce.  Which is why it was featured in a Rick and Morty episode in the first place.  It's kind of like the McRib, except instead of coming out once a year, it's once every several years.  Packets of the sauce of already been known to have traded on the secondary market (unbelievably so, but hey, you learn something everyday).  So I now have to call "B.S." even more so, because that show is entirely incidental to the turn out that you see for the sauce.  Maaaaybe it brought a certain contingency of fans out, but this showing that you are seeing is 95% for the sauce already, and maybe only about 5% or less because of the Rick and Morty, and I'm sure many of these people are planning on trying to make a quick buck by selling this already very popular sauce, which just so happens to incidentally have a Rick and Morty tie-in this time.  People who are trying to pump this show (really, the comics more so on these boards), and use this as some kind of additional "evidence" of this fake Rick and Morty hype are beating a dead horse with a red herring here with this.   Squarechaos is right, this is all silly and has no business being discussed in this forum, and now that I see how stupid it really is, I agree it would be nice to get back on topic for the thread.  2c

-J.

:roflmao:You could not be more wrong. Flip those numbers to 95% r&m and you got it. How the hell do you come up with those numbers?

As a 26 year old, I represent the millenial fanbase. I will straight up tell you I was considering a drive with some buddies, to either state college or Pittsburgh for the sauce/poster. We are all fans of the show! Do not spit bs about a fanbase you don't understand.

R&M is my favorite animated show of all time. I bought r&m #1 right at release, and a BAM variant at the same time just for the meseeks cover. 

Here's something fun,

this video had only 47,000 views before r&m season 3 premiere. After the episode to date it has jumped to 1,372,615 views.

Those darn dirty shills hiked the youtube views up as w:roflmao:well....

Your research method is trash.

Edited by maidenmate91

2 minutes ago, I like pie said:

My son is 19. Him and almost everyone he knows loves R&M. 

Although I agree there is a strong market for the comics, it's undeniable some people have tainted the market with shills and wouldn't invest a penny right now.

Oh absolutely, but to sit here and say the rabid fanbase doesn't exist is just pure ignorance. Some of the books values are ridiculous, but if I didn't have a #1 by now, I would glady pay $150-200 for one. Thats what being a fan is.

I'd like to see a thread discussing the comic book, not necessarily in this board, but ANYWHERE 

I'd like to see sales figures proving this book is increasing in popularity 

I'd like to see ANYTHING that indicates the book is worth WD prices on the secondary market

I understand that there are crazy fans for the show. But lets talk substance

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I'd like to see a thread discussing the comic book, not necessarily in this board, but ANYWHERE 

I'd like to see ANYTHING that indicates the book is worth WD prices on the secondary market

This R&M comic ... I hesitate to call it a conversation at this point... why not create a separate thread for it? It seems deserving of one due to longevity at this point.

46 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

:roflmao:You could not be more wrong. Flip those numbers to 95% r&m and you got it. How the hell do you come up with those numbers?

No.

The sauce was already popular.  How do you think it made onto the Rick and Morty show in the first place?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/08/mcdonalds-rick-and-morty-szechuan-sauce-stunt-backfires.html

McDonald's took the reference from the show as an opportunity to re-release the sauce with a Rick and Morty tie in that, judging from the crowds in the videos, the vast majority of them could give two whits about Rick or Morty.  I;'m not saying that Rick and Morty does not have a cult following (that about sums it up), what I am saying is that the sauce was already popular with its own cult following before this.  McDonalds capitalized on a promotional tie in, but they would have had crowds anyway.  To suggest otherwise would be an outright lie.

Enough with the pumping already.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

10 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Definitely deserves another thread. I have no idea why you say its WD prices though. A WD #1 1st print has averaged over $2800 over the past 12 months. R&M #1 1st print is no where near that. You can't compare a 1:50 ratio variant to that and even if you did, its still not up there (and as has been said, has been manipulated most likely to that level). WD has so many other first appearance and variant books that are up higher than the R&M #1 value as well. So, lets not even compare those two. Its not a fair comparison.

Edited by kevhtx

2 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Definitely deserves another thread. I have no idea why you say its WD prices though. A WD #1 1st print has averaged over $2800 over the past 12 months. R&M #1 1st print is no where near that. You can't compare a 1:50 ratio variant to that and even if you did, its still not up there. WD has so many other first appearance and variant books that are up higher than the R&M #1 value as well. So, lets not even compare those two. Its not a fair comparison.

You conveniently forgot to mention that the ONLY reason why we cant compare R&M 1:50 to WD is because ALL of its sales are shilled?

17 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

No.

The sauce was already popular.  How do you think it made onto the Rick and Morty show in the first place?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/08/mcdonalds-rick-and-morty-szechuan-sauce-stunt-backfires.html

McDonald's took the reference from the show as an opportunity to re-release the sauce with a Rick and Morty tie in that, judging from the crowds in the videos, the vast majority of them could give two whits about Rick or Morty.  I;'m not saying that Rick and Morty does not have a cult following (that about sums it up), what I am saying is that the sauce was already popular with its own cult following before this.  McDonalds capitalized on a promotional tie in, but they would have had crowds anyway.  To suggest otherwise would be an outright lie.

-J.

It made it on Rick and Morty because it was a favorite of the creator. It wasn't a real popular thing until after even according to you own link. The creator asked Mcdonalds "If they wanna get in on this" after the episode because fans were going crazy of it.

Then have gave him a huge Jug of it plus some other winners.http://nerdist.com/rick-and-morty-mcdonalds-szechuan-sauce/

Afterwards they did the one day promo.  This has almost nothing to do with foodies. Simply type in "sauce Rick & Morty" you'll find dozens of news stories.

This is the better thread to discuss the stories

Edited by Rip

If I was dumb enough to think that R&M 1 1:50 is actually worth that money, Id compare it to any comic book all day. Who cares if its a variant?

I counted 12 sales in the high $1000s for that book RAW. Show me ONE raw WD book, variant or not that closes at those prices x 12 in the past month

14 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

No.

-J.

lol Mcdonalds Szechuan sauce was terrible when it was released and it is terrible now. No one was asking for it until Rick and Morty made it a thing.