• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, jmatt said:

Really?  77% of the lot came back slabbed and it's still not worth it?  Jeez, tough crowd.  lol  By my reckoning, at current average sale prices, I'm up over $2500.

But yes, I actually am enjoying just having a ton of X-O #1s.  It's my favorite title.

I'm not in any hurry.  Eventually, I'll put them up for sale one at a time; no intention of flooding the market.

I'm thinking not worth it in terms of return for time and work invested. Listing and selling all those copies will take time and that's hoping the book holds its current value, which it may not.

When the announcement came that Sony invested a bunch of money into developing Valiant movies, several books spiked. When it turned out they were doing YouTube webisodes, the books dropped ( to be fair, they were already dropping as the market got flooded with high grade slabbed copies ). Now books like Eternal Warrior #4, Rai #0, X-O Manowar #4 and X-O Manowar #1 have spiked a little again, but no telling how long that may last. 

1 hour ago, jmatt said:

31 at 9.8

27 at 9.6

17 rejected at the 9.6 pre-screen.

1 of the original 76 was a junk issue that I presume the LCS who sold them picked from his bin and threw into the lot.  That was not submitted.

I'll give you $3 each for the 17 rejects.:whistle:

On 11/15/2017 at 12:50 AM, NamesJay said:

Daredevil 111 Aja variant: I must have had 10 of these guys since they were published and not one came back 9.8 -- very difficult book in high grade.

How is a book that hasn't sold one copy since October a "book that's heating"?

I don't mean anything funny and this is a legit inquiry. 

I'm knew and trying to understand what is actually heating so I can hunt.

1 hour ago, Obi-Wan said:

Welcome, we're here to do the work for you.

Also, he just said it's been a hard book for him to get a 9.8. Which is odd being a white cover.

Edited by ygogolak

2 hours ago, Obi-Wan said:

September sales were in the $50 range. The ones in October were considerably more with the last being $100. There are only two raws available and the asking price is $150 and $180, which is probably a reason one hasn't sold in a few weeks. I'd say that has the makings of a book heating up.

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

September sales were in the $50 range. The ones in October were considerably more with the last being $100. There are only two raws available and the asking price is $150 and $180, which is probably a reason one hasn't sold in a few weeks. I'd say that has the makings of a book heating up.

Ah I see. I didn't look that far back. Well I understand it has doubled maybe due to the scarce pickings available.

I can also see why nobody is buying at this "new" inflated prices. 

When one sells for 150+ this month I will agree that maybe it's warming.

If the underlying reason a supposed hot book has no sales in 30+ days is the inflated price???

What does that tell you?

And that argument can be made for any overpriced variant that's not selling...nope. Just no.

Edited by Obi-Wan

2 hours ago, Obi-Wan said:
3 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Ah I see. I didn't look that far back. Well I understand it has doubled maybe due to the scarce pickings available.

I can also see why nobody is buying at this "new" inflated prices. 

When one sells for 150+ this month I will agree that maybe it's warming.

If the underlying reason a supposed hot book has no sales in 30+ days is the inflated price???

What does that tell you?

And that argument can be made for any overpriced variant that's not selling...nope. Just no.

Edited 1 hour ago by Obi-Wan

Let me state upfront I don't have a copy and don't want one either.

If you graph the 5 sales even taking out the $149.95 Best Offer you still see a nice appreciation on those 4 sales. 
You only see 2 copies for sale. It looks like the book is generally hard to find. I look at sales and 4 sales is enough for me to see a trend. All 5 sales are from different sellers as well.

Amazon wants $179 and Mycomicshop wants $199 for a 9.4 on consignment. Ebay looks cheap by comparison on raw. 

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Let me state upfront I don't have a copy and don't want one either.

If you graph the 5 sales even taking out the $149.95 Best Offer you still see a nice appreciation on those 4 sales. 
You only see 2 copies for sale. It looks like the book is generally hard to find. I look at sales and 4 sales is enough for me to see a trend. All 5 sales are from different sellers as well.

Amazon wants $179 and Mycomicshop wants $199 for a 9.4 on consignment. Ebay looks cheap by comparison on raw. 

You are obviously a long time and respected member and I see you are correct. I tent to forget about mycomicshop because there's no app for bidding and the "yellow box" prices are outrageous at times.

I am just getting a feel of things and learning the ropes here.

I was honestly only questioning and I know I've alot to learn about how the market works and what is trully desirable to buyers and why. 

Thank you fastball and  everyone that has replied as well. Even in disagreement or unawareness I read and acknowledge.

I'm happy to be here.

Everytime I look I see more typos.I'm usually multitasking but will work on it!

Edited by Obi-Wan
Typos

Mycomicshop is outrageous at times. It's usually consignment items but most buyers don't look to see the difference. I think that hurts their reputation.

Many sellers just ask stupid prices and hope for the best. The smart sellers price accordingly to ending sales and grade of book. That and they actually put a grade on their book. 

It's one thing to call a book nm+ and ask a higher price. It's quite another to ask the same price and just put pics with no grade. Just my 2c

Edited by fastballspecial

On 11/15/2017 at 5:28 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 11/14/2017 at 8:37 PM, divad said:

I'll give you $3 each for the 17 rejects.:whistle:

Figure you can make a bundle by listing them as 9.8s?

Actually . . . that's just what I think of CGC's grading on any given day.:whistle:For all you people (you know who you are) that don't think a book can be a 9.8 unless it's encapsulated in so much plastic, that you couldn't possibly grade it (even in hand) and bears the "certified" numero in the upper LH corner . . . 9.8

Starting here: "Aweandlorder, 500Club, Hey Kids, Comics! and 3 others reacted to this"

Edited by divad

8 hours ago, divad said:

Actually . . . that's just what I think of CGC's grading on any given day.:whistle:For all you people (you know who you are) that don't think a book can be a 9.8 unless it's encapsulated in so much plastic, that you couldn't possibly grade it (even in hand) and bears the "certified" numero in the upper LH corner . . . 9.8

Starting here: "Aweandlorder, 500Club, Hey Kids, Comics! and 3 others reacted to this"

Oh, I certainly think a book *can* be, but I've seen plenty of books that you posted which have obvious flaws that would keep it from being considered a 9.8 by the most respected third-party grading outlet (CGC), or by Overstreet's Grading Guide. If a Divad 9.8 uses different criteria for grading, you should list that criteria in your auctions. Otherwise, you're being deceptive, as people expect that, without qualifying your grade with your criteria, you're employing the accepted industry standards.

13 hours ago, divad said:

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Oh, I certainly think a book *can* be, but I've seen plenty of books that you posted which have obvious flaws that would keep it from being considered a 9.8 by the most respected third-party grading outlet (CGC), or by Overstreet's Grading Guide. If a Divad 9.8 uses different criteria for grading, you should list that criteria in your auctions. Otherwise, you're being deceptive, as people expect that, without qualifying your grade with your criteria, you're employing the accepted industry standards.

No one said or implied that the rejects were going to be 9.8s (except you in your silly attempt to put words in my mouth) but I can easily state that they are likely very nice copies of the book, and certainly collection-worthy. It's the "plastic and label obsession" that should be criticized here, not the difference between any individual grading between a 9.0 and 9.6.  And for those of you who don't cherish the 9.0s in your collection, I truly feel sorry for you. 

1 hour ago, divad said:

No one said or implied that the rejects were going to be 9.8s (except you in your silly attempt to put words in my mouth) but I can easily state that they are likely very nice copies of the book, and certainly collection-worthy. It's the "plastic and label obsession" that should be criticized here, not the difference between any individual grading between a 9.0 and 9.6.  And for those of you who don't cherish the 9.0s in your collection, I truly feel sorry for you. 

Not trying to start trouble I think everyone is making valid points.

...with that said if someone cannot tell the difference between a 9.0 and a 9.6 then they need to do there homework. Grading is subjective only to a certain degree. Just an opinion guys.

2 hours ago, divad said:

Yet you list books that are clearly not 9.8s as 9.8s. Why don't you describe books accurately and target those people who do cherish their 9.0s?

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

On 11/15/2017 at 12:50 AM, NamesJay said:

Daredevil 111 Aja variant: I must have had 10 of these guys since they were published and not one came back 9.8 -- very difficult book in high grade.

I've heard this around. I don't have one and would not buy at current price but I'm curious as to why so hard in high grade?

Is there a certain flaw that is common?