• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2024 at 8:30 PM, MAR1979 said:
On 1/23/2024 at 9:22 AM, kimik said:

FWIW, it does make sense that the comic market is picking up with almost full employment, interest rates holding steady (and possibly being cut this year), and equities and cryptocurrencies hitting new highs. Let's hope things keep up for the entire year. 

Mid April 2024 update; nopes....

I am not sure what numbers you are looking at, but here are the numbers on on Jan 23 vs where things are now:

Dow - 4864.40 on Jan 23 vs 5123.41 yesterday (higher in April)

S&P - 37,905,45 on Jan 23 vs 37,983.24 yesterday (higher in April)

Nasdaq - 15,425.94  on Jan 23 vs 16,179.04 yesterday (higher in April)

Unemployment rate - 3.70 in Jan to 3.80 in March (so a smidge worse as of latest results)

Interest rate (Fed fund rate) - steady since January and not likely being cut until late in the year

Bitcoin - $40,245 on Jan 23 vs $67,170 yesterday

We should see a typical seasonal pullback in equities starting in May like usual, so things may change. However, interest rates are not likely going to see any changes until the late summer or fall when we may see an election inspired cut. I do not think it will be warranted as the US economy still has to work through the IRA and CHIPS stimulus packages and those dollars are just now being spent in earnest. The employment market will not see much change either if everything I am hearing from companies across a wide range of sectors continues - higher rates of retirement + more jobs being brought back to the USA should mean a tight labour market for the foreseeable future (the Canadian industry sectors we are involved in at work are already seeing employees leave to the USA and are worried it will increase). Unless we have a Black Swan event, 2024 should be another up year that likely accelerates into 2025 - it takes time to spend $800B in stimulus in the current environment (e.g. it is 8-12 months for major electrical infrastructure components now, the lack of skilled trades means construction delays, etc.). 

On 4/14/2024 at 1:44 AM, fastballspecial said:

I can only speak to my area of the country, but unemployment is at 2.2% in my work county. All the counties around my areas are 2.3 to 2.7% even the metropolitan area. We my company are paying yearly stay bonus and in the past year have paid relocation expenses of $5K for people who move more then 75 miles. We can't find workers and we pay very well with great insurance. The labor market at least in my area will not be tightening at all for the forseeable future. My children have never had to worry about finding a job. My first kid had 3 offers before he even got out of college. My second has already been offered full time employment and she hasn't even finished college yet.  The labor market in my areas is fantastic for anyone in their 20s. Its great to be that age and be able to leave jobs for more pay and benefits which I see yearly currently.  I know that's not the case in other areas, but its still shocking to me considering how many applications I had put within a 200 mile radius just to find a job out of college years ago. 

The Supply chain in manufacturing was just starting to get in good shape then the bridge fell over in MD which will affect us component wise at some point. Our suppliers suffer from lack of labor and critical party components they are getting from overseas vendors which again is the supply chain.  Our GDP has shown positive results for several quarters in a row now. 

Traditionally the market slows in the summer months. I have not seen that yet, but I do try not to sell traditional books I specialize which gives me a better sell thru rate. I expect by June to slow down like usual.  My shows locally have shown positive results average dealers at the show make between $1k to $2k on a one day show with some dealers making up to $3-5k per show depending on what they bring. Low end is $500 to $1k for dealers. Volume makes your sales some dealers rely on making a big sale too much while others sell 100s of $1 $2 $3 books easily. Some dealers hit it big with a nice sale then some go home not doing as well because they needed to rely on that big sale. Don't be the 2nd dealer in that example. 

Sales the last couple of months have been very good. Not record setting but constant. Speculators are entering the market again after having taken their lumps on slabs. That glut is going to sit there around some people's necks for awhile. Local shop was blowing out slabs for $25-35 a pop and they had probably 20 boxes they were selling.

X-men 97 right now is fueling sales of X-men books and let me tell the X-men 97 show is fantastic so far. 

Invincible sales still do well as they introduce more characters this season. I continue to see strong sales for Simpsons, Spider-Gwen, Dazzler singles, and off all things Alf at local shows. Couple of women buying strictly Gwenpool and Spider-Gwen. Golden Age buyers are still strong looking for good cover books like EC covers. I didn't have any large sales, but had dozens of sales from books $15 to $50 this time around. 
1st Marvel Zombies, Cap 241, Hulk 181 Foils, Dazzler 1, Watchmen 1, Marvel Age 12, DC Versus Marvel Set, Showcase 96 3. Nothing huge but solid books I sell consistently either on or offline. 

We did a card show with our comic book show this last time and it did not go well. When one group advertises alot and the other does not they cannibalize money from the other group. My advice is never do it. Dealers still made money, but I learned a lesson not to do it again. 

Invincible fascinates me because prices have steadily reason for most of the series.

On 4/14/2024 at 4:35 PM, MrWeen said:

Invincible fascinates me because prices have steadily reason for most of the series.

Well its well written that helps, but also the print runs were really low at beginning and end of series.
The 12 issue ending is a must have. I've sold 3 sets and I rarely keep them more then a couple of months.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 4/14/2024 at 1:17 AM, kimik said:

I am not sure what numbers you are looking at, but here are the numbers on on Jan 23 vs where things are now:

Dow - 4864.40 on Jan 23 vs 5123.41 yesterday (higher in April)

S&P - 37,905,45 on Jan 23 vs 37,983.24 yesterday (higher in April)

Nasdaq - 15,425.94  on Jan 23 vs 16,179.04 yesterday (higher in April)

Unemployment rate - 3.70 in Jan to 3.80 in March (so a smidge worse as of latest results)

Interest rate (Fed fund rate) - steady since January and not likely being cut until late in the year

Bitcoin - $40,245 on Jan 23 vs $67,170 yesterday

We should see a typical seasonal pullback in equities starting in May like usual, so things may change. However, interest rates are not likely going to see any changes until the late summer or fall when we may see an election inspired cut. I do not think it will be warranted as the US economy still has to work through the IRA and CHIPS stimulus packages and those dollars are just now being spent in earnest. The employment market will not see much change either if everything I am hearing from companies across a wide range of sectors continues - higher rates of retirement + more jobs being brought back to the USA should mean a tight labour market for the foreseeable future (the Canadian industry sectors we are involved in at work are already seeing employees leave to the USA and are worried it will increase). Unless we have a Black Swan event, 2024 should be another up year that likely accelerates into 2025 - it takes time to spend $800B in stimulus in the current environment (e.g. it is 8-12 months for major electrical infrastructure components now, the lack of skilled trades means construction delays, etc.). 

Perhaps, Perhaps Not...

On 4/14/2024 at 1:44 AM, fastballspecial said:

I can only speak to my area of the country, but unemployment is at 2.2% in my work county. All the counties around my areas are 2.3 to 2.7% even the metropolitan area. We my company are paying yearly stay bonus and in the past year have paid relocation expenses of $5K for people who move more then 75 miles. We can't find workers and we pay very well with great insurance. The labor market at least in my area will not be tightening at all for the forseeable future. My children have never had to worry about finding a job. My first kid had 3 offers before he even got out of college. My second has already been offered full time employment and she hasn't even finished college yet.  The labor market in my areas is fantastic for anyone in their 20s. Its great to be that age and be able to leave jobs for more pay and benefits which I see yearly currently.  I know that's not the case in other areas, but its still shocking to me considering how many applications I had put within a 200 mile radius just to find a job out of college years ago. 

The Supply chain in manufacturing was just starting to get in good shape then the bridge fell over in MD which will affect us component wise at some point. Our suppliers suffer from lack of labor and critical party components they are getting from overseas vendors which again is the supply chain.  Our GDP has shown positive results for several quarters in a row now. 

My son is majoring in construction management, but other than being semi handy and putting together furniture for us has no real experience, he worked maintenance at a beach club last summer so he did haul around and wear work gloves though. We're hoping he can find a moderately relevant job in construction as a general laborer this summer when he comes home in 3 weeks or as an intern for some company in the field, but it isn't so easy to do this in advance and without connections I'm not so sure how doable that is. It doesn't help that his math/science grades were not great and the first year they don't really teach you anything relevant about the industry, you're getting prerequisites out of the way. They have a great consruction/carpentry lab but you don't have access until you're taking upper level classes. The people I knew are long dead or retired and the people I know have no use for an 18 year old for a few months. He could stand by the Duncan Donuts with all the undocumented guys for whom the going rate is apparently $150-200 a day and stand out as someone who speaks English for sure, but I'm afraid they might not like him trying to take the work, he'd be the only legal there. 

Edited by the blob

On 4/15/2024 at 12:49 PM, the blob said:

My son is majoring in construction management, but other than being semi handy and putting together furniture for us has no real experience, he worked maintenance at a beach club last summer so he did haul around and wear work gloves though. We're hoping he can find a moderately relevant job in construction as a general laborer this summer when he comes home in 3 weeks or as an intern for some company in the field, but it isn't so easy to do this in advance and without connections I'm not so sure how doable that is. It doesn't help that his math/science grades were not great and the first year they don't really teach you anything relevant about the industry, you're getting prerequisites out of the way. They have a great consruction/carpentry lab but you don't have access until you're taking upper level classes. The people I knew are long dead or retired and the people I know have no use for an 18 year old for a few months. He could stand by the Duncan Donuts with all the undocumented guys for whom the going rate is apparently $150-200 a day and stand out as someone who speaks English for sure, but I'm afraid they might not like him trying to take the work, he'd be the only legal there. 

Have him go down the union hall and ask if they need anyone to help out this summer. In my area they would take an 18 year old for the summer all day and twice on Sunday, but you only be so picky about what job you want. 

On 4/15/2024 at 5:25 PM, fastballspecial said:

Have him go down the union hall and ask if they need anyone to help out this summer. In my area they would take an 18 year old for the summer all day and twice on Sunday, but you only be so picky about what job you want. 

He needs to take the OSHA certification class to work on any union site in NY, which he should do anyway, it makes him look more serious. He isn't picky, he'd be fine working as a laborer hauling around. He is sinewy strong. Although the local union has an apprenticeship program you can join at 18 with a GED, so they may have their fill of young guys.

Edited by the blob

On 4/21/2024 at 1:14 AM, Onewhois said:

These are on a raise. Italy exclusive x4 of the variant sold @ $80each. 

x4 of the Triple Acetate x3 sold at $100 one sold at $115.

All three combo sold over $300.  

IMG_4488.png

IMG_4487.png

When you're dealing with Exclusives, a lot of the early sales are going to be completists or speculators. Consistent sales well after release indicates heat. I imagine a lot of the buyers here hadn't heard of this particular variant, and are grabbing it up "just in case"

On 4/21/2024 at 8:16 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

When you're dealing with Exclusives, a lot of the early sales are going to be completists or speculators. Consistent sales well after release indicates heat. I imagine a lot of the buyers here hadn't heard of this particular variant, and are grabbing it up "just in case"

Right and my question would be how much they paid originally and is the price pattern going up or down? 

On 4/21/2024 at 2:16 PM, fastballspecial said:

Right and my question would be how much they paid originally and is the price pattern going up or down? 

I was originally offered to pre order from a reseller @$35 each, but have really just started not bothering when a new limited variant or foreign edition comes out. 

From what a gather these prices are here in USA. From the other side on the pond the prices are a bit near that but also when you factor in shipping. It almost comes close to reflecting eBay prices. Some of the Italy exclusives are variant. I dont see a lot of them falling from prices. And if they do it’s been a while with time and  because the conditions on the comics are not even in near mint. I watch lot of the Mexico and France to Brazil and Italy variants. Just to name a few. Anyways. I just notice the Italy variants aka exclusive. There doing well  I think there prices won’t fall just what I see but for now it’s fun to watch. Wanted to pass this along. 

Edited by Onewhois