• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

I've opened more than a few UF#4. All of mine, which came from multiple cities, sellers, etc., had an impression/line running vertically in the middle of the back cover. The lines are faint but undeniably there so I'd be slightly skeptical of a 9.8 still in the bag. 2c

2 minutes ago, the authority said:

I've opened more than a few UF#4. All of mine, which came from multiple cities, sellers, etc., had an impression/line running vertically in the middle of the back cover. The lines are faint but undeniably there so I'd be slightly skeptical of a 9.8 still in the bag. 2c

This. :sumo: ALL poly-bagged books.

All valid input from experienced collectors. Thankyou

I have purchased it. What is some advice from when i obtain the comic? 

I'm not super keen on handling it in terms of taking it out of bag but i will if i have to. 

If i can't spot any imperfections i'll get it graded and slabbed. It's a bit of a pain in the butt as i have to send it over from Aus but it could be worth it.

I'll post up some some close ups of the entire when i get it.

Overall i'm happy with the purchase at the price. If it doesnt grade as expected well hopefully theres an appearance from Miles in the MCU going forward so at least i can make a little bit of money on it. 

3 minutes ago, Wolverine3 said:

I'm not super keen on handling it in terms of taking it out of bag but i will if i have to. 

If i can't spot any imperfections i'll get it graded and slabbed. It's a bit of a pain in the butt as i have to send it over from Aus but it could be worth it.

Overall i'm happy with the purchase at the price. If it doesnt grade as expected well hopefully theres an appearance from Miles in the MCU going forward so at least i can make a little bit of money on it. 

A number of people said not to buy it, but you did. And now you want more advice? :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

A number of people said not to buy it, but you did. And now you want more advice? :facepalm:

A number of people were saying all sorts of things! Mainly negative in terms of doubting the grade.

I am not doubting the grade but even if it doesnt come up i will not lose money on the purchase. 

I have scope to fall back on with this, if the comic in general was going to decline in value then i wouldnt buy it but like an optimistic member stated, if Miles appears in the MCU the value will spike and will be easy to offload in Aus.

If you don't want to give any advice then off you go elsewhere.

Someone more usefull than yourself will have a more positive outlook on the situation.

6 minutes ago, Wolverine3 said:

A number of people were saying all sorts of things! Mainly negative in terms of doubting the grade.

I am not doubting the grade but even if it doesnt come up i will not lose money on the purchase. 

I have scope to fall back on with this, if the comic in general was going to decline in value then i wouldnt buy it but like an optimistic member stated, if Miles appears in the MCU the value will spike and will be easy to offload in Aus.

Someone more usefull than yourself will have a more positive outlook on the situation.

You have a lot to learn. Good luck.

4 hours ago, Wolverine3 said:

He gave advice. You just didn't like it. That doesn't make it any less useful.

Edited by awakeintheashes

Advice: if you want a 9.8 book, especially if you're concerned about the high cost of shipping and grading, then just pony up the money and buy a 9.8 that is already slabbed. You'll lose your shirt trying to find a 9.8 bagged copy in the wild, and the time/money spent on getting it graded yourself, when you don't know much about grading yet, is going to add up much faster than if you just bite the bullet and buy it already slabbed. Seriously, save yourself a headache.

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Advice: if you want a 9.8 book, especially if you're concerned about the high cost of shipping and grading, then just pony up the money and buy a 9.8 that is already slabbed. You'll lose your shirt trying to find a 9.8 bagged copy in the wild, and the time/money spent on getting it graded yourself, when you don't know much about grading yet, is going to add up much faster than if you just bite the bullet and buy it already slabbed. Seriously, save yourself a headache.

Nope. Not positive enough. 

1tre99.jpg

Here's another option:  Keep believing that raw equivalents to CGC 9.8 are easy to find, that they are something anyone can identify, and there's no reason for anyone to pay CGC money to slab anything.  My local comic shop has this philosophy.  Lots of outspoken collectors online have this philosophy.  There's not anything that CGC could do for them that they can't do for themselves, using those 300 years of experience they have collecting and grading their own books.

After all, Schroedinger's Comic is always 9.8, heck, it's 9.9 or a 10... as long as you don't send it to CGC and kill the illusion.

6 hours ago, Wolverine3 said:

If you're super concerned about condition, you can wear latex gloves when handling the comic.  Obviously make sure your environment is dry and clean.  Make sure you have your bags and boards and any other equipment ready, including lighting or magnifying glasses (if you need them).

Also, if you'd have mentioned earlier you were in Australia, I would have given you a hard 'NO' on this endeavor in its entirety.  Shipping BOTH WAYS plus translation fees plus risk for a POLYBAG COMIC??? And even in the best case scenario of a 9.8, you're already $150USD into the comic, you would have a very tough time selling anywhere but Australia, because of shipping costs and international and trust and risk etc.  So you'd be selling in Australia where the market is somewhat limited, though I guess competition is limited too. 

It may be true that you have a naturally keen grading eye and a strong sense of the market in Australia, or that this is more about fun than money for you, which is all great.  But I think very very few experienced people here on the boards would take that type of risk as a pure investment.

With all that being said, if you insist on shipping it CGC, here's some tips:

1.  Save up until you have an order with a few more books so you can enjoy some economies of scale.  Preferably items in the same grading tier.

2.  Consider shipping it to a US pressing service first, to maximize your grading potential. (if you don't know what 'pressing' is, do some research)

3.  Package your items real well.

4.  Be prepared to wait. 

5.  Take pictures of your items before shipping, just in case.

6.  Don't lie on any customs forms.

7.  Read the CGC website carefully, and email/call CGC to clarify any questions AHEAD of time.

Edited by revat

22 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I wouldn't trust anyone advertising a 9.8 still in the bag. Having opened some myself, it's not something that can really be seen until you get proper light on the spine.

is it Divad?