• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I found 3 copies of NA 10 in 2 days in $1 bins.....then nada!  Two really sharp copies NM-/NM and a VF.  Can't complain with that since I sold the first 2 for $15 each....

You think the winner is Hulk 22?  I kind of wonder if the heat will stay on #21 and keep it there....  Time will tell.....

I was very surprised at Miracle Man #1 this week from Tom King (DC).....wow....nice start to a series.  

Yep, Mister Miracle on fire; and, of course, I only ordered 2 copies of 1A when I had quite a few more in my pre-order bin at DCBS.  Thought no one would care about this book but me and a select few others.

:tonofbricks:

5 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

Yep, Mister Miracle on fire; and, of course, I only ordered 2 copies of 1A when I had quite a few more in my pre-order bin at DCBS.  Thought no one would care about this book but me and a select few others.

:tonofbricks:

That one was such a tough call....Tom King's "Vision" was a resounding success, but to pre-order a ton of these based on that?  Tough call.  I don't think many people pre-ordered a lot of these.....or else the price wouldn't be so high right out of the gate.  Good for you for grabbing a couple though...

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

A lot of good replies here.

I would pass on Jupiter's Legacy. I love the book, but they printed the hell out of it. 

Hulk 22 has been selling very well presell. I hope they all can get their books. Honestly it will probably be the book of year in the back issue market. 

New Avengers 10 is a very hard find for me as well only 2 copies so far and been looking quite a while.

New Avengers 10 has been a spec pic for years because of Thane. 9 should be top of list right now.

Im also intrigued with the newer Infintiy series. Huge run, but is the movie leaning that way opposed to the 3 original Infinty series?

3 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I would pass on Jupiter's Legacy. I love the book, but they printed the hell out of it. 

Hulk 22 has been selling very well presell. I hope they all can get their books. Honestly it will probably be the book of year in the back issue market. 

New Avengers 10 is a very hard find for me as well only 2 copies so far and been looking quite a while.

I found 3 copies of NA 10 in 2 days in $1 bins.....then nada!  Two really sharp copies NM-/NM and a VF.  Can't complain with that since I sold the first 2 for $15 each....

You think the winner is Hulk 22?  I kind of wonder if the heat will stay on #21 and keep it there....  Time will tell.....

I was very surprised at Miracle Man #1 this week from Tom King (DC).....wow....nice start to a series.  

Hulk 22 is the winner IMO, but again the whole series is really doing well. I stop selling my Hulk 19s and will hold onto the rest. 

You can hedge your bets with the before or after app with Hulk 21 and Weapon X. Its gotten very little press because there are very little variants and a lower print run. There is no real 1/100 variant to chase which makes the book more appealing.

Either they kill off the Batch H or its a hit and it becomes Marvel's Doomsday. That's pretty much the decision you have to make. I made mine already.

Edited by fastballspecial

10 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Hulk 22 is the winner IMO, but again the whole series is really doing well. I stop selling my Hulk 19s and will hold onto the rest. 

You can hedge your bets with the before or after app with Hulk 21 and Weapon X. Its gotten very little press because there are very little variants and a lower print run. There is no real 1/100 variant to chase which makes the book more appealing.

Either they kill off the Batch H or its a hit and it becomes Marvel's Doomsday. That's pretty much the decision you have to make. I made mine already.

I completely agree with you that this is a hit....and I've seen the prices fall on TAH 21 in just the past couple of days, while #22 is still going strong.  I'm well covered on most of the issues, but my only regret is not picking up those two NM+ copies of TAH #19 that you had in your sales thread.   Foolish error on my part.....

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

That's a good commentary on the difference between rarity and distribution(or dispersion).

A book like a New Avengers 10 or a Hulk 22 will never have been concentrated, while something like Jupiter's Legacy will have been very concentrated.  For people searching the second hand market, books with high dispersion or distributed widely, can be extremely hard to find, while other books (not JL, but many variants on these boards would work as examples), might have much smaller print runs, but would be much easier to find "in the wild".

New Avengers 10 has a CC estimated print run of 60,700, but if those 60,700 books are owned by 40,000 people, it can be very difficult to find copies online and in stores.  If there were 2-500 easily available copies at the time that people started caring about it, this forum and the sites that orbit it, could vaporize that supply in less than a week, and the places that do have them (say stores without an easily searched online presence) won't have many copies per store/location, because they never did to begin with.

I've long felt this concept, (i sometimes call it strong hands versus weak hands), in terms of how able people are to buy up a supply, or how many are available to purchase at any one time, is something people dont talk about, think about much in terms of what it means for rarity.  It can have a huge impact on the short term price spikes, and the long term ability to hold value.

High rarity gives you both short term vulnerability to big price rises, and long term stability (inability for people to bring many to market quickly)

High Dispersion gives you good short term price spikes, but will draw out supply, less stability (but if enough demand exists to eat the supply, it will stay highly dispersed)

High rarity AND High Dispersion gives you "key books", and very strong stability.  Especially once people have a lot of skin in on a book, and are unwilling to sell for a loss.

13 minutes ago, CBT said:

That's a good commentary on the difference between rarity and distribution(or dispersion).

A book like a New Avengers 10 or a Hulk 22 will never have been concentrated, while something like Jupiter's Legacy will have been very concentrated.  For people searching the second hand market, books with high dispersion or distributed widely, can be extremely hard to find, while other books (not JL, but many variants on these boards would work as examples), might have much smaller print runs, but would be much easier to find "in the wild".

New Avengers 10 has a CC estimated print run of 60,700, but if those 60,700 books are owned by 40,000 people, it can be very difficult to find copies online and in stores.  If there were 2-500 easily available copies at the time that people started caring about it, this forum and the sites that orbit it, could vaporize that supply in less than a week, and the places that do have them (say stores without an easily searched online presence) won't have many copies per store/location, because they never did to begin with.

I've long felt this concept, (i sometimes call it strong hands versus weak hands), in terms of how able people are to buy up a supply, or how many are available to purchase at any one time, is something people dont talk about, think about much in terms of what it means for rarity.  It can have a huge impact on the short term price spikes, and the long term ability to hold value.

High rarity gives you both short term vulnerability to big price rises, and long term stability (inability for people to bring many to market quickly)

High Dispersion gives you good short term price spikes, but will draw out supply, less stability (but if enough demand exists to eat the supply, it will stay highly dispersed)

High rarity AND High Dispersion gives you "key books", and very strong stability.  Especially once people have a lot of skin in on a book, and are unwilling to sell for a loss.

Everyone bought multiple copies of Jupiter's Legacy #1 to sit on. Pretty much nobody bought multiple copies of New Avengers #8-10 to sit on. Thrill of the hunt

5 hours ago, paul747 said:

Is NA #10 his first? I thought it was another book.

Can this be confirmed? As in would it be labeled his first appearance on a slab? 

I have 4 high grade copies of NA 10 so i am hoping that Thane makes his appearance. One of my mates has put alot of time into speculating the upcoming Infinity movies and he is certain Thane will be a major player in the 4th Avengers movie and possibly beyond. He believes it's part of the reason they will not release the name. 

I'm a little scepticle on that though as it just has to be called Infinity Gauntlet? And Gamora's actor(cant remember her name) let it slip didn't she?

I see there has been no CGC graded sales of NA 10 in the last couple of years if at all. Is there a reason for this?

3 hours ago, Lonzilla said:

Everyone bought multiple copies of Jupiter's Legacy #1 to sit on. Pretty much nobody bought multiple copies of New Avengers #8-10 to sit on. Thrill of the hunt

exactly, I pulled it at the time but would never have more than 1 copy of books like that.

and in the issue 8-10 range(not a 1st issue or early issue), even stores arent ordering more than a couple beyond their customers with it on the pull list, so even though the copies would sit there from then to now, there wont be more a than a couple at any one place.

The big places with volume, like MCS, midtown, etc, would get raided from here immediately and be out-of-stock the same day people point out a bounce.

41 minutes ago, Wolverine3 said:

Can this be confirmed? As in would it be labeled his first appearance on a slab? 

I have 4 high grade copies of NA 10 so i am hoping that Thane makes his appearance. One of my mates has put alot of time into speculating the upcoming Infinity movies and he is certain Thane will be a major player in the 4th Avengers movie and possibly beyond. He believes it's part of the reason they will not release the name. 

I'm a little scepticle on that though as it just has to be called Infinity Gauntlet? And Gamora's actor(cant remember her name) let it slip didn't she?

I see there has been no CGC graded sales of NA 10 in the last couple of years if at all. Is there a reason for this?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/15/mindless-speculation-thane-coming-marvel-cinematic-universe/

What you are talking about comes from the above article I believe.

I have my own theories on where Marvel is going next, (been saying it for a few years in private convos), but this is not the thread for that kind of talk.... :)

Thane seems pretty boring as a story line, hopefully they have more to offer than that.

9 minutes ago, CBT said:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/15/mindless-speculation-thane-coming-marvel-cinematic-universe/

What you are talking about comes from the above article I believe.

I have my own theories on where Marvel is going next, (been saying it for a few years in private convos), but this is not the thread for that kind of talk.... :)

Thane seems pretty boring as a story line, hopefully they have more to offer than that.

It could be. I have not seen much about it before but my mate has done alot of digging and thinks he has found a few things that points to Thane being in #4. I honestly don't know much about it. 

I have my own theories on the next gen of Marvel and it's no secret they want to expand into the cosmos. 

They will phase it the usual suspects in the next couple of movies and bring in new to LAM characters. 

Which characters they will be going forward is the million dollar question?

From what limited knowledge i have on this, Thane could be part of a side story interwined with the main. They have set it up for him to be included and they are probably looking at introducing some "newer" modern characters with not so much exposed history. I see it as a way to spike the interest in the diehards and also gain potential new fans. If they phase in too many of the common major players from back in the day that are yet to appear in the MCU then they may please the diehards but theres a huge chance that they won't and it also could put them in a situation where they are forced to stick to storylines when they may want to put there own spin on things, which has the potential to disappoint. 

6 hours ago, Wolverine3 said:

Which characters they will be going forward is the million dollar question?

I agree, I made my bet about three years ago :), so obviously I hope I'm right.

Whatever it is will become obvious within the next 12 months, should be an interesting time.

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Weapons of Mutant Destruction, is there a crossover event that has stood the test of time? 

Here are a few that have gotten hot, then cooled then hot again etc....  Done right its a monster.

Maximum Carnage
Death of Craven
Death of Superman
Dream's End
Apocalypse the Twelve
Lonely Place for Dying
Avengers/Defenders Crossover

Edited by fastballspecial