• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2018 at 12:23 PM, rogue14 said:
On 2/17/2018 at 6:38 AM, I like pie said:

Buyer beware when it comes to Frankies,  ComicMint and SadLemons. They all have very shady business practices when it comes to print runs and sell outs.

I’ve had no issues with them. Purchased a few times and get what I pay for so I’m happy. 

Maybe a PM with more information about this?

Each has had some issues, but nothing I wouldn't avoid them for. Packing issues were what I heard from boardies who have used them. That can be fixed.
I just ordered from one of them for the 1st time last week so I can report back later.

I think they all learned some lessons a couple of years ago and they are better for it. 

10 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

This has been a $50 book for a while. Never seen one in the wild. I'm sure the bump is because of the movie.

Edited by ygogolak

10 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I find nothing wrong with this listing. He does not call it Fantastic Four #52. He gives the year of the book. He shows the back cover which has a UPC code which didn't exist when the original came out. So in my opinion, this listing is fine and there is no deception.

3 minutes ago, Philflound said:

I find nothing wrong with this listing. He does not call it Fantastic Four #52. He gives the year of the book. He shows the back cover which has a UPC code which didn't exist when the original came out. So in my opinion, this listing is fine and there is no deception.

Nothing wrong with this listing and not called FF #52???  Here is the listing title.....again.

Marvel's Greatest Comics Fantastic Four #52 First Appearance of Black Panther

6 minutes ago, Philflound said:
11 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yes. Except for leaving out the colon, he listed it as the proper title of the book.  A clear back cover picture is provided. The date of the issue is provided in the body of the listing.

If some fool bought it thinking it was an FF 52, that is entirely on them.

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes. Except for leaving out the colon, he listed it as the proper title of the book.  A clear back cover picture is provided. The date of the issue is provided in the body of the listing.

If some fool bought it thinking it was an FF 52, that is entirely on them.

Yes, the listing is for the proper title of the book, even though the book doesn't show that particular phrase at all.  Caveat Emptor certainly applies here, but come on---everyone here was a "newbie" at some point and to think that this listing was an example of full disclosure is disingenuous....at best.  

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

:facepalm:

It was wrong for marvel to put out those reprints that are so easily passed off online. There should have been something on the cover. A non-collector may not see tbe differences. I was confused the first time i saw one of these in perfect shape and then realized it was a reprint.

Edited by the blob

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

It says it is the first appearance. It is a reprint of the first appearance. The listing was carefully crafted with the intention of duping someone who does not know comics, but who is interested in the black panther. It is worded to give cover. They knew exactly what they were doing. This sort of thing may kill a person's interest in collecting comics in its infancy.

+1000!  My thoughts exactly...but far more eloquently stated---thank you for that.  I think listings like these have real negative impacts on new or not that knowledgeable collectors.  Once they get completely burned....they will rarely come back.  This hurts the entire industry as readers, collectors, buyers and sellers....there is absolutely nothing good coming from such duplicitous auctions. 

16 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

And the seller listed it in the Modern section

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

The listing is somewhat  deceptive. It's inexcusable as a seller to do that. Put the year of the book in the title and I would have no issue instead of the description. Nothing wrong with cashing in on popularity as long as u do it transparently. 

The year doesn't matter here or the category. The word "reprint" is the key. They avoided it on purpose. This seller is going for the non-comic book buyer who just saw the movie and wants his first appearance comic. The one who wouldn't even know that 2006 wasn't his first appearance. BIN for $125 and boom, someone thinks they have his first appearance.

As an ebay seller, I find this deceptive. I get that some people may not, but in my standards of how I do my auctions, it is. Preying on a non-comic buyer is bad for the hobby. If we want the hobby to grow and be even more successful, we want more collectors. We don't want people think they are getting screwed over and give up on the hobby.

EDIT: The seller even put "First appearance of Black Panther" as the Main Character in specifics. They had a junk comic worth nothing and wanted to make $125 bucks on it. They were successful.

Edited by kevhtx

12 hours ago, the blob said:

It says it is the first appearance. It is a reprint of the first appearance. The listing was carefully crafted with the intention of duping someone who does not know comics, but who is interested in the black panther. It is worded to give cover. They knew exactly what they were doing. This sort of thing may kill a person's interest in collecting comics in its infancy.

Looks like the book was bought and buyer probably tried to immediately cancel the sale. Buyer was none too happy with his junk book nor the $20 restocking-fee.

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=kidultscomicstoys5051&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=negative&interval=365

Edited by jcjames