• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I'm not sticking up for JSC and his artistic output at all but I believe he was able to put out 4 or more issues of gen13 (volume 2). 

Sure, JSC did more than 4 issues of Gen 13 total by himself (he did 10)...but not consecutively, nor monthly, which was your prior claim.

17 hours ago, valiantman said:

No argument from me.  Valiant books (2012-current) have been far and away better quality than most competitors' titles that have greater quantity... but they don't have household names for men with the characteristics of spiders and bats.  Saga has been a huge non-big-2 hit, and it deserves all the accolades that it deserves, but not necessarily all the accolades that it gets.  Saga gets credit for "outselling" Marvel, DC, Valiant, etc., but Saga isn't getting penalized for the months of zero sales.  Marvel, DC, Valiant, etc., all outsell Saga each month there is no Saga.  In other words, if I was sagaman, instead of valiantman, I'd be frustrated by the delay between my needed doses.

You're only considering floppy sales. Saga in trades is a monster, and can therefore still be said to outsell a lot of the books you mentioned. The latest Comichron sales available (for April) has all 8 Saga TPs in the top 24 of sales fro trades. That's huge. We're far past the point where companies look only at monthly sales to decide on the success of a book (unless, perhaps, it's a new book, with low sales, and no history of connected trades to determine how well it will sell in that format).

39 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
18 hours ago, valiantman said:

No argument from me.  Valiant books (2012-current) have been far and away better quality than most competitors' titles that have greater quantity... but they don't have household names for men with the characteristics of spiders and bats.  Saga has been a huge non-big-2 hit, and it deserves all the accolades that it deserves, but not necessarily all the accolades that it gets.  Saga gets credit for "outselling" Marvel, DC, Valiant, etc., but Saga isn't getting penalized for the months of zero sales.  Marvel, DC, Valiant, etc., all outsell Saga each month there is no Saga.  In other words, if I was sagaman, instead of valiantman, I'd be frustrated by the delay between my needed doses.

You're only considering floppy sales. Saga in trades is a monster, and can therefore still be said to outsell a lot of the books you mentioned. The latest Comichron sales available (for April) has all 8 Saga TPs in the top 24 of sales fro trades. That's huge. We're far past the point where companies look only at monthly sales to decide on the success of a book (unless, perhaps, it's a new book, with low sales, and no history of connected trades to determine how well it will sell in that format).

Yes trades are finally reshaping the market in a large way. At least smart companies or writers are looking at this. That being said though will the TPB market have any resale value down the road? 
Early DC and Marvel trades are gold in great shape I wonder how this will pan out later during this period.

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sure, JSC did more than 4 issues of Gen 13 total by himself (he did 10)...but not consecutively, nor monthly, which was your prior claim.

Actually we are both wrong as it appears that the first 4 issues of the Gen13 mini series did come out on a monthly schedule, all drawn by JSC.  The 5th issue of that mini was delayed 2 months, and the second series had numerous delays.

42 minutes ago, sonicdan said:

$10 each for 1997-1998 Acclaim Comics that are not last issues or 1999-2001 Acclaim? I'll take it! 

The funniest part is you sold a couple at $9.99 and now you are undercutting your own sales at $9.50.

Just a tip, when something sells at a price quickly, you then raise the price to test the market value. Not go the other way.

21 hours ago, 500Club said:
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:02 AM, Broke as a Joke said:
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, ygogolak said:

Yes, he did NYX. Dell 'Otto, Hughes, Campbell, Mattina, even Skottie Young have done interiors in their past. Becoming almost strictly a cover artist means you have been recognized as bringing unique talent to comics. With that, I'm sure their prices increase. Although, I guess they could keep drawing interiors for a fraction of the price. That makes sense, right?

Actually he only did the first 4 issues of NYX, he couldn't even finish the whole 6 issues.  Hughes and Campbell have at least held it down on a monthly title before for more than 4 issues.  Of course you can talk about money but when these talented guys don't give us any creativity or storytelling in a medium that is currently dying for that very thing, it is disheartening.   

It is disheartening as a fan, but, putting myself in the artists`shoes, I`d happily do covers exclusively for the kind of money JSC and others are getting.

Truthfully, this is a monster of our (collectors as a whole) own creation.

I agree we continue to fund the monster. I think its become its own legit field, but I am hoping the last few books like ASM 800 and Bat 50 wear out the market.

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:
On 6/15/2018 at 1:37 PM, 500Club said:
On 6/15/2018 at 10:02 AM, Broke as a Joke said:
On 6/15/2018 at 8:08 AM, ygogolak said:

Yes, he did NYX. Dell 'Otto, Hughes, Campbell, Mattina, even Skottie Young have done interiors in their past. Becoming almost strictly a cover artist means you have been recognized as bringing unique talent to comics. With that, I'm sure their prices increase. Although, I guess they could keep drawing interiors for a fraction of the price. That makes sense, right?

Actually he only did the first 4 issues of NYX, he couldn't even finish the whole 6 issues.  Hughes and Campbell have at least held it down on a monthly title before for more than 4 issues.  Of course you can talk about money but when these talented guys don't give us any creativity or storytelling in a medium that is currently dying for that very thing, it is disheartening.   

It is disheartening as a fan, but, putting myself in the artists`shoes, I`d happily do covers exclusively for the kind of money JSC and others are getting.

Truthfully, this is a monster of our (collectors as a whole) own creation.

I agree we continue to fund the monster. I think its become its own legit field, but I am hoping the last few books like ASM 800 and Bat 50 wear out the market.

Credit where credit is due, though - some of these ‘hot cover artists’ are doing some eye popping work.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

The funniest part is you sold a couple at $9.99 and now you are undercutting your own sales at $9.50.

Just a tip, when something sells at a price quickly, you then raise the price to test the market value. Not go the other way.

Thanks! It's all good. I moved through a few extras I was sitting on. I ran a small category sale on Valiant Comics, over the weekend, so you could save an extra 5% :) 

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes trades are finally reshaping the market in a large way. That being said though will the TPB market have any resale value down the road? 

Yes. Trades have a lot of value in many cases. There are a lot of graphic novel/trade paperback/hardcover collectors who like to fill their libraries with complete collections of series and trade paperbacks do look really good on shelves.

As soon as a trade paperback goes out of print, it goes up in value just like a rare comic book. Low printed trade paperbacks can sell for upwards of $100. Omnibuses sell for hundreds of dollars each when they have low print runs.

9 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Yes. Trades have a lot of value in many cases. There are a lot of graphic novel/trade paperback/hardcover collectors who like to fill their libraries with complete collections of series and trade paperbacks do look really good on shelves.

As soon as a trade paperback goes out of print, it goes up in value just like a rare comic book. Low printed trade paperbacks can sell for upwards of $100. Omnibuses sell for hundreds of dollars each when they have low print runs.

Yes, we know some trades have resale value. Typically they were only printed one time however. Or very few and the first print holds value. The first volume of Saga keeps getting reprinted.

Did they start putting the printing edition in them yet? I know they haven't historically.

Omnibus's can sell for a couple hundred, but they are usually $80-100 to start with.

Just now, ygogolak said:

Yes, we know some trades have resale value. Typically they were only printed one time however. Or very few and the first print holds value. The first volume of Saga keeps getting reprinted.

Did they start putting the printing edition in them yet? I know they haven't historically.

Omnibus's can sell for a couple hundred, but they are usually $80-100 to start with.

To start with, Omnibuses are $100-$125 each and usually have very small print runs because of that price point. But, when an omnibus goes out of print, like with the Garth Ennis Punisher that was out of print for several years, it continued to rise and several copies sold for $400-$500 each. Copies of the Hickman Fantastic Four Volume 1 are selling around $400 currently and others like Silver Surfer, which have never been reprinted, sell for close to that.

23 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes trades are finally reshaping the market in a large way. At least smart companies or writers are looking at this. That being said though will the TPB market have any resale value down the road? 
Early DC and Marvel trades are gold in great shape I wonder how this will pan out later during this period.

I didn't mention trades because of resale vale. I was referring to them in regards to how successful a series is. A lot of readers only buy books to read; more so with trades, I think.

11 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, fastballspecial said:

I didn't mention trades because of resale vale. I was referring to them in regards to how successful a series is. A lot of readers only buy books to read; more so with trades, I think.

Yes I understand that. What I was trying to say is will that affect sales down the road later or not. Will create a market later or will they just toss them out. I think its the later, but I was hoping it would create a new market for trades from the last 10 years or so.

Edited by fastballspecial