• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Why?

Why cutoff anywhere?

Is there some difference in service that warrants paying and waiting more for a "value" ASM139 vs a "modern" ASM140?

They really need to dump the whole "modern" category.

That is roughly when comics shrunk to the Modern dimensions. Obviously that bit of extra paper per page takes more work to grade. ;)

Or just money. Because money.

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm aware of what eBay considers it...but since when is eBay the authority on the subject of comic books?

And "Modern age is considered to be 1985-present"...according to whom...?

For reference: in 1965, Wonder Woman #156 was published. That book referred to comics from "Comics' Golden Age"...books that were published 20-23 years prior to that issue. 

So, a 26 year old comic is not a "Modern." 

For me, the Golden Age ends when the comic code begins, which is generally what everyone goes by.

*shrug*... As far as modern, it's 85+ according to plenty of shops, comic sites including this very one, wikipedia if you consider it a valid source.

I think 92+ is better, but it's obviously well past it's due date. It needs to end, and be re-named, so a new era can begin... but what do you base the end of the current era on? The end of the bubble in the early 2000s? Just make it an even 20yrs? The start of CGC, and first X-Men film in 2000? The beginning of the MCU in 2008? People come up with all kinds of reasons, who knows :)

1 minute ago, wikked said:

For me, the Golden Age ends when the comic code begins, which is generally what everyone goes by.

*shrug*... As far as modern, it's 85+ according to plenty of shops, comic sites including this very one, wikipedia if you consider it a valid source.

I think 92+ is better, but it's obviously well past it's due date. It needs to end, and be re-named, so a new era can begin... but what do you base the end of the current era on? The end of the bubble in the early 2000s? Just make it an even 20yrs? The start of CGC, and first X-Men film in 2000? The beginning of the MCU in 2008? People come up with all kinds of reasons, who knows :)

How about we just say "90s", "00s", and "10s"? We're covered that way until at least the 2070s, eh...?

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

How about we just say "90s", "00s", and "10s"? We're covered that way until at least the 2070s, eh...?

I like the current precious metal system... maybe Nickel, Lithium, Palladium, Vibranium, Bitcoin eras lol

23 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

I can't believe the Spawn 185 sketch CGC 9.6 (Signature Series) is getting so much money. Already at $9,500!!!! Check it out on eBay :) 

Apparently the raw that just sold brought a few new ones out. Well on it's way to become the new most valuable variant.

There is a 9.2 at $5k currently.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Apparently the raw that just sold brought a few new ones out. Well on it's way to become the new most valuable variant.

Not quite.  

You might want to check the bidding history of all three of those auctions.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Not quite.  

You might want to check the bidding history of all three of those auctions.  

-J.

The bidding history negates the fact that two copies are on auction now? Interesting.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

I wonder how much a 9.8 would be? I saw one for $100,000 (I think comiclink auctions) but it's not selling. Either way, I'm interested to see what the final price will be.

3 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

I wonder how much a 9.8 would be? I saw one for $100,000 (I think comiclink auctions) but it's not selling. Either way, I'm interested to see what the final price will be.

You have a CGC 9.8 and wont sell for $100,000??

Just now, 1Cool said:

You have a CGC 9.8 and wont sell for $100,000??

No I saw one for auction! I wish I had a 9.8 :(

By the way, the 185 9.6 is now at $12,000. I think, if a 9.8 came, it would be the most valuable modern comic. 

11 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

No I saw one for auction! I wish I had a 9.8 :(

By the way, the 185 9.6 is now at $12,000. I think, if a 9.8 came, it would be the most valuable modern comic. 

Yes the same fake (0) feedback bidder has bid up both copies currently at auction and also "won" the auction of the raw copy.  

-J.

22 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yes the same fake (0) feedback bidder has bid up both copies currently at auction and also "won" the auction of the raw copy.  

-J.

Oh really? I hope the value on the comic goes up, but only After I get myself a 9.8 ;)

I sold my 185 Sketch a few months ago.

While I made a stellar profit, I'm suddenly not comfortable with my decision. doh!

1 hour ago, Spawn1709 said:

How much did you sell it for if you don't mind me asking?

It was a private sale, so out of respect for the buyer, I'd rather not say.

Was well into the four-figure range though.