• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, oldrover said:

You didn't ask me, ( :) ) but I don't order cardboard... 2 pieces of cardboard is .75. Instead, I get the Kraft Stay-Flat mailer at .40 each in quantity.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-2220/Stay-Flat-Mailers/Tab-Locking-Kraft-StayFlats-5-9-3-4-x-12-1-4

They are bulletproof. I wrap the comic in a bit of bubble wrap, slide it inside, and have NEVER gotten a complaint... in fact, people specifically compliment my packaging in their eBay feedback. Just sayin'. YMMV.

EDIT: And that mailer will hold up to 4 comics, plus bubble wrap, and stay under a pound, so you can still use First Class Mail with eBay.

Maybe I lack imagination, but I don't see how that can keep a high grade comic high grade if there is some rough handling. I would be terrified shipping a $50 nm type book in that.. That's like mailing a comic out with 2 pieces of cardboard as the sandwhich, which I would never do unless maybe industrial thickness cardboard, otherwise minimum 3-4 depending on thickness. Regardless, I am shifting to boxes and the genesis type mailers. And I understand, you haven't had a book get damaged, but maybe you haven't encountered the right postal worker in the wrong mood? heck, I used to ship records in bubble mailers (because they were "free" at my office) like 18 years ago, but that makes no sense. Somehow out of like 75-100 records mailed, none got cracked in half. In hindsight, I got very lucky. 

31 minutes ago, the blob said:

Maybe I lack imagination, but I don't see how that can keep a high grade comic high grade if there is some rough handling. I would be terrified shipping a $50 nm type book in that.. That's like mailing a comic out with 2 pieces of cardboard as the sandwhich, which I would never do unless maybe industrial thickness cardboard, otherwise minimum 3-4 depending on thickness. Regardless, I am shifting to boxes and the genesis type mailers. And I understand, you haven't had a book get damaged, but maybe you haven't encountered the right postal worker in the wrong mood? heck, I used to ship records in bubble mailers (because they were "free" at my office) like 18 years ago, but that makes no sense. Somehow out of like 75-100 records mailed, none got cracked in half. In hindsight, I got very lucky. 

You're overly cautious. Nothing wrong with that. But, people use mailers like that a lot and they are fine.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Maybe I lack imagination, but I don't see how that can keep a high grade comic high grade if there is some rough handling.

You'd be surprised. Think of an insect... how much does it take to crush that outer shell? A LOT. And then the bubble wrap has it covered inside.

FWIW, though, I don't generally send a high grade comic like that, assuming its value was over, say, $50. Those I send inside a bubble bag, inside Kraft cardboard inserts, in a PM flat-rate envelope. Not really for protection... I believe both ways are equally solid... but for presentation when the buyer gets it. :) Plus it's only a buck or two more. And USPS supplies are free!

4 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

Hey!  Can you guys go start a different thread about "No one cares how fast you pack a book" and keep this thread on topic so I know what $2.00 book to grade and sell for $200.00 all day long.

This is the general discussion thread for the modern comics subforum now just as it has been since the beginning. If YOU want to get it back on track with a modern book heating up then YOU can mention a book. Otherwise it will naturally return to moderns heating up when the situation calls for it. We can either have a thread that regularly gets posted in at the cost of going off on a tangent now and then or we can have a thread that goes a week without a post if you insist that it stays on topic.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

I use something similiar and I've never had a problem. I'd say they're actually more rigid than a comic mailer. For safety I usually throw in a piece of cardboard or two depending on the quantity of comics. You cannot bend them by hand, and any machine that could would also have no problem with a comic mailer box.

27 minutes ago, darkstar said:

This is the general discussion thread for the modern comics subforum now just as it has been since the beginning. If YOU want to get it back on track with a modern book heating up then YOU can mention a book. Otherwise it will naturally return to moderns heating up when the situation calls for it. We can either have a thread that regularly gets posted in at the cost of going off on a tangent now and then or we can have a thread that goes a week without a post if you insist that it stays on topic.

Nope...this is not a "general discussion thread" in modern comics forum.  It is a thread called "Moderns that are heating up".  Hence, the off-topic discussion about packing peanuts and labels that are self-adhesive should have its own thread in the modern comics forum. 
Pushing this thread about anything else does nothing to help the purpose of the thread title and if there is nothing to post about on books heating up then the thread should slip to the next page or two until something does.

Having to read a new off-topic post in this thread does not help anyone reading this thread for its intended purpose.

52 minutes ago, divad said:

Enough already! :sumo:

Now wtf is HOT! hm

Your temper.

I use these:

https://www.geminicomicsupply.com/product/comic-flash-mailers-set/

They're pretty cheap, and I haven't heard any negative feedback about them yet, but they are a little less sturdy that some other cardboard mailers I've received from purchases.

2 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Nope...this is not a "general discussion thread" in modern comics forum.  It is a thread called "Moderns that are heating up".  Hence, the off-topic discussion about packing peanuts and labels that are self-adhesive should have its own thread in the modern comics forum. 
Pushing this thread about anything else does nothing to help the purpose of the thread title and if there is nothing to post about on books heating up then the thread should slip to the next page or two until something does.

Having to read a new off-topic post in this thread does not help anyone reading this thread for its intended purpose.

That's the way things have worked in this thread pretty much since it began. Between book catching fire, topic seems to go in all sorts of directions.

5 hours ago, spreads said:

Agree with everything above, cutting cardboard even if you are a retired millionaire is so tedious....

@oldrover, how does the Kraft loader work, is there heavy cardboard on both sides?  It seems like it's combining an envelope with heavy cardboard?

@Bird - I ordered a 200 pack of 8/12 811 for .33 each CAD.  I tape two on each side together, so I'm using four pieces.  For cheaper books you could probably get away with just one piece of cardboard on each side.  I also ordered a stack of brown envelopes, that worked out to about 33 cents each (CAD).  I looked around and even comparing to places like Walmart the envelopes were by far the cheapest.  Again, I'm in Canada so prices might be better for you...

*EDIT I also found that this method allows me to ship 1-2 comics as 'letter mail' as determined by Canada Post - which is dirt cheap to ship.  If I changed the envelope size or added extra weight I might not be able to ship that way, you'll have to figure that part out for yourself.

Ive gone this route before.

I've not yet found cardboard that is precut that make me happy enough to only use 1 or 2 sheets. For me its a quality thing.
Ive gotten packages like that and some do a great job while others still manage to screw it up. Just in those examples above the cost
makes it difficult to continue to sell say 25-50 books a month. 

It isn't worth the cost to me when I get my cardboard for free. The shipping cost that you have to add in makes it not workable for me. I do hate cutting cardboard as much as the next person, but until I can find alternative that wont cost me $1+ per book to ship I will just keep cutting.

Its not that I am not looking, its just that I have the free time and the free cardboard.

16 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:
51 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Sure it does. It teaches new seller different scenarios for their packing of the modern books. It also gives them valuable networking skills that novice sellers don't understand or arrogant long time sellers neglect. 

Its a good topic discussion that happens from time to time organically. This topic is not discussed very often so either put forth some books for discussion or just ignore the discussion.

56 minutes ago, darkstar said:
5 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

Hey!  Can you guys go start a different thread about "No one cares how fast you pack a book" and keep this thread on topic so I know what $2.00 book to grade and sell for $200.00 all day long.

Just suggest some books then and it takes care of itself.

Edited by fastballspecial

5 hours ago, Bird said:

Earlier today I did notice the thread title and was like "oh wait, we are posting about this HERE?"

New Avengers 11! New Avengers 27!

I sold mine Last night, I didn't put them up for much, but they were kind of tattered so I'm still a little surprised they sold..... maybe buyer owns a press... idk

Just thought that I'd mention it since I got them Sunday and you mentioned that they might do well in the garge/antique thread on eBay at the moment  :foryou:

Thanks (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Tnexus said:

I use something similiar and I've never had a problem. I'd say they're actually more rigid than a comic mailer. For safety I usually throw in a piece of cardboard or two depending on the quantity of comics. You cannot bend them by hand, and any machine that could would also have no problem with a comic mailer box.

Ok, these must be stiffer than similar looking ones I have seen/received. My sincerest apologies.

Everyone just wants to get free valuable information. I apparently have 50 copies of thor 459 (same shop that bought 1000 339s..  It took 10 years for him to repeat a thor mistake). That book is not hot. Will thunderstrike be in avengers 8?

Edited by the blob

8 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

We didn't make it to almost 2400 pages without a few cows strewn across the tracks. 

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Ive gone this route before.

I've not yet found cardboard that is precut that make me happy enough to only use 1 or 2 sheets. For me its a quality thing.
Ive gotten packages like that and some do a great job while others still manage to screw it up. Just in those examples above the cost
makes it difficult to continue to sell say 25-50 books a month. 

It isn't worth the cost to me when I get my cardboard for free. The shipping cost that you have to add in makes it not workable for me. I do hate cutting cardboard as much as the next person, but until I can find alternative that wont cost me $1+ per book to ship I will just keep cutting.

Its not that I am not looking, its just that I have the free time and the free cardboard.

Hey I've you got the time and the cardboard cutting makes it work for you then great; I don't have that time, if I were to cut cardboard it would be taking time away from personal or professional commitments. 

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Everyone just wants to get free valuable information. I apparently have 50 copies of this 459 (same shop that bought 1000 339s..  It took 10 years for him to repeat a thor mistake). That book is not hot. Will thunderstrike be in avengers 8?

Ain't that the truth.  

“The average man doesn’t wish to be told that it is a bull or a bear market. What he desires is to be told specifically which particular stock to buy or sell. He wants to get something for nothing. He does not wish to work. He doesn’t even wish to have to think.”

3 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

No, it is exactly what I said it was because that is what it has always been. 

If you don't care for the stream of consciousness approach to this thread you can change the topic by suggesting a book yourself. It really is that simple.

If the current discussion in this thread isn't about a specific book, series, or character, it's because nobody has one to talk about at that particular moment or they don't feel like sharing.

Allowing for tangents in the more popular threads on this forum is one of the ways to foster a community here.