• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

If CGC labelled them it would be:

Captain Marvel #1 - Carol Danvers becomes Captain Marvel

Avenging Spider-man #9 - Captain Marvel appearance

But if AS#9 was released first, would that not be her first appearance as Captain Marvel?

No dog in this fight, just curious. (shrug)

The release schedule for the corresponding series can't change their content. The first appearance of Captain Marvel, (you cant really call a name change a first appearance, but that's another debate), is the Panel I posted.

People keep trying to talk about trees, and ignoring the forest, which was/is my point.

Avenging Spider-man is nothing but a board pumped date chase.

Edited by CBT

Remember, this is what I said:

That would be in Captain Marvel #1, last page, already posted here prior to the shilling. The stuff people try to push on these boards is amusing.

I genuinely am amazed how people can get so busy focusing on the trees that they forget they are in a forest.

the trees would be trying to look up release dates and previews, the forest would be the panel where she takes the name. That would be the moment she becomes Captain Marvel, not the panel before, not the panel after.

Don't let the debate slide or shift. Everyone is fully aware of the release dates, that was never the issue. They were released in the same month, together, 7 days apart because of different release dates for their respective release schedules (books come out on fixed weeks within a month).

Avenging Spider-man #9 - Captain Marvel appearance(follows Captain Marvel #1, but available for sale 7 days earlier)

works if it helps people stop looking at the tree branch in front of them, and actually think about what is what.

Edited by CBT

If CGC labelled them it would be:

Avenging Spider-man #9 - Captain Marvel appearance

But if AS#9 was released first, would that not be her first appearance as Captain Marvel?

No dog in this fight, just curious. (shrug)

The release schedule for the corresponding series can't change their content. The first appearance of Captain Marvel, (you cant really call a name change a first appearance, but that's another debate), is the Panel I posted.

(thumbs u Gotchya

Was a little confused by the argument (only skimmed). I thought there was some debate as to whether or not she was Captain Marvel in AS#9.

I would have to come down on the AS#9 side then. In a canonical sense, yes Captain Marvel #1 was first, but the first comic book that collectors could purchase that featured her as Captain Marvel would be AS#9. 2c I suppose it would come down to if you believed "First Appearance" means "first appearance in a comic book" or "first chronological appearance."

How about we just ask CGC directly in the "Ask CGC" Forum on the label description for Avenging Spider-Man #9 & Captain Marvel #1. :idea:

CGC is so far from an expert on what to label books, they just respond to squeaky wheels. There are endless examples of incorrectly labelled things, and things where whats written has change, even multiple times. Hopefully the people with AS9's to sell dont manage to bamboozle them with no one sending in a CM1 to be reviewed as well.

Edited by CBT

I suppose it would come down to if you believed "First Appearance" means "first appearance in a comic book" or "first chronological appearance."

neither of them is her first appearance. MSH13 is her first appearance, and CM1 is the book where she becomes Captain Marvel.

hence, "cant see the forest for the trees" comment that started all this.

I suppose it would come down to if you believed "First Appearance" means "first appearance in a comic book" or "first chronological appearance."

neither of them is her first appearance. MSH13 is her first appearance, and CM1 is the book where she becomes Captain Marvel.

hence, "cant see the forest for the trees" comment that started all this.

But the first time the audience see's her as Captain Marvel is AS #9.

As long as there is precedence for an ad being labeled a "first appearance/first appearance as..." I would think the CGC labels would be.

Avenging Spider-man #9 - First appearance of Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel

Edited by AntBrown

Someone please stand up and say Carol doesnt become Captain Marvel in Captain Marvel #1, then go on to prove it.

Once that is done, I will say, whoops, I guess my comment saying people are pushing trash on here and missing the forest for the trees was wrong.

Yeah, instead of arguing about something which gets every bodies panties in a bunch, why not just see what Marvel has listed?

Real question though... Why doesn't this book have a Green or Yellow label? Was it signed on the case?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-Marvel-1-Variant-B-9-8-CGC-Vol-6-Signed-Kelly-Sue-DeConnick-Marvel-Now-/171512784755?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27eef56773&nma=true&si=tsTQ9JPq%252BSuQSPkCeoJWLsAQmjM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Also, since I am working late and drinking red bull, might as well stir up another debate.

Civil War comics, I am surprised more people arent chasing the sketch variants at the expense of all others. I know all of them are starting to climb, but I figured since the sketch variants are the rarest, they would be the ones people are going for.

go...

I don't have any of these books, I haven't read any of these books and I don't really care, but just from past experience on the way these things shake out, I'd label the books as follows:

MSH13 = 1st Carol Danvers

Avenging = 1st Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel 1 = nothing on the label, unless the book becomes super important, which I doubt, and people demand it be labeled "Origin Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)"

Traditionally, release date trumps story chronology as a first appearance and the first time an existing character shows up in costume as a new superhero is the book to have. And yes, I'd consider a female Captain Marvel as much of a new superhero as say...Barry Allen Flash or Hal Jordan Green Lantern, Jason Todd as Robin or Azrael as Batman (ugh)...

I agree with his points, I dont agree that Captain Marvel is an origin story, because its not.

AS9 continues directly out of it, they are the same story, produced at the same time, released together, 7 days apart, AS9 sold in stores first only because of an existing release date/week.

Someone please stand up and say Carol doesnt become Captain Marvel in Captain Marvel #1, then go on to prove it.

Once that is done, I will say, whoops, I guess my comment saying people are pushing trash on here and missing the forest for the trees was wrong.

I think people are arguing with you because they really don't care if she first becomes Captain Marvel in CM 1, chronologically speaking, when the Avenging Spider-Man issue was released first and features her as Captain Marvel. That would make it her first appearance as Captain Marvel, since the book released first, even though its telling a story that occurs after the events of CM 1. This is what I have gathered browsing the thread, having never read or owned an issue of Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, or Avenging Spider-Man.

I think people are arguing with you because they really don't care if she first becomes Captain Marvel in CM 1, chronologically speaking, when the Avenging Spider-Man issue was released first and features her as Captain Marvel. That would make it her first appearance as Captain Marvel, since the book released first, even though its telling a story that occurs after the events of CM 1. This is what I have gathered browsing the thread, having never read or owned an issue of Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, or Avenging Spider-Man.

Logic has no place in this thread. :makepoint:

Good, I was looking for a place I might fit in around here. ;)

Although the gap is greater, isn't this the same debate with ASM 252 & SW 8 for first black costume? Even though Spidey first wore the black costume (storywise) in SW 8 the first appearance of the black costume/symbiote is ASM 252 because of the release date.

:D