• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

Seriously though...

How did this pass CGC? Why doesn't this book have a Green or Yellow label? Was it signed on the case?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-Marvel-1-Variant-B-9-8-CGC-Vol-6-Signed-Kelly-Sue-DeConnick-Marvel-Now-/171512784755?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27eef56773

Edited by true_story1011

Ok, and what do you think Captain Marvel #1 should be labeled.

There are many instances where they label a character's first appearance as a new "codename/costume".

i.e. Grayson as Nightwing.

I do not believe Captain Marvel #1 needs any sort of notation...

I think people are arguing with you because they really don't care if she first becomes Captain Marvel in CM 1, chronologically speaking, when the Avenging Spider-Man issue was released first and features her as Captain Marvel. That would make it her first appearance as Captain Marvel, since the book released first, even though its telling a story that occurs after the events of CM 1. This is what I have gathered browsing the thread, having never read or owned an issue of Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, or Avenging Spider-Man.

I started the discussion with a loaded comment no doubt. If an existing character changes her name, the book where she changes her name, is the relevant book. My point about forest and trees remains, and was always about people chasing a date or previews as opposed to the actual event in question.

The people in the thread, with relation to me or "Arguing" with me, fall into three categories.

1.) Those having an honest discussion about the merits of both books. I respect that, and have no problem with it.

2.) People who have AS9 to sell and dont like me not drinking the kool-aid, or taking kool-aid out of would be victims hands.

3.) My haters, mostly people who have lost arguments in the past and "cant handle the truth"/"are mad bro".

CM1 is the book where Carol becomes Captain Marvel, no amount of debating can change that.

Edited by CBT

I also do not own any of these books, nor do I plan to.

I have never been a Danvers fan. All I can think of is when Rogue stole her powers and became Supergirl.

I have 1 of each, both of which I got when they came out, from my pull list as new comics. Most people in here havent even read them.

So, since Detective 27 isn't the first appearance of Batman any more, anyone know what was?

Not in even the slightest way, does that make sense or is it valid.

MSH 13 is the first Appearance of Carol Danvers

Captain Marvel #1 Carol Danvers becomes Captain Marvel

Even with all the fussing here, I dont see anyone actual willing to claim the Carol doesnt become Captain Marvel in Captain Marvel, because....wait for it.... she does.

If CGC labelled them it would be:

Captain Marvel #1 - Carol Danvers becomes Captain Marvel

Avenging Spider-man #9 - Captain Marvel appearance

This is all fine if you add the spider-man summer freebie as the first appearance of carol danvers as captain marvel. all these books are key but only one is a first appearance. im going with the one that came out months before the others.

Edited by MrWeen

I don't think that is a very permanent solution but I like it better than someone writing on a book.

I'm so glad I don't have any of these books.....wouldn't it be hilarious if they change Danvers so much its not the character in the comic book or what if its the new incarnation thrown in for giggles. lol

Be even more funny if Captain Marvel was the Captain Marvel from the Bronze aged series because he is the one who had so many interactions with Thanos. lol

I don't have any of these books, I haven't read any of these books and I don't really care, but just from past experience on the way these things shake out, I'd label the books as follows:

MSH13 = 1st Carol Danvers

Avenging = 1st Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel 1 = nothing on the label, unless the book becomes super important, which I doubt, and people demand it be labeled "Origin Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)"

Traditionally, release date trumps story chronology as a first appearance and the first time an existing character shows up in costume as a new superhero is the book to have. And yes, I'd consider a female Captain Marvel as much of a new superhero as say...Barry Allen Flash or Hal Jordan Green Lantern, Jason Todd as Robin or Azrael as Batman (ugh)...

Ding ding ding ding!

Just catching up on this thread, and it's amazing how long it took for someone to point this out. Captain Marvel is more appropriately labeled as an origin, as it tells the story of how she took the name. While many origin stories (e.g. Amazing Fantasy #15) are also first appearances, this one is not, because Danvers appeared as Captain Marvel in Avenging #9 the previous week. Which book is more important is a different discussion and will depend largely on what you're chasing. Personally I think Captain Marvel #1 is more important, but if you're strictly chasing first appearances (and including first appearances of a n existing characters with a new name, costume, powers, etc.) then Avenging is your book.

Although the gap is greater, isn't this the same debate with ASM 252 & SW 8 for first black costume? Even though Spidey first wore the black costume (storywise) in SW 8 the first appearance of the black costume/symbiote is ASM 252 because of the release date.

:D

A costume and a name are similar but different, but to compare them, they would have to be:

1.) a name change

2.) A continuous story, with ASM252 events/story continuing directly from SW8

3.) Be meant to go together

4.) be released together, separated by 7 days

5.) SW8 being issue 1 and starting a new release schedule for a new series, and only coming out those 7 days later than ASM252, because ASM252 was continuing on its release date from the month before's book (ASM251).

Then you could compare them and say, well the market did this, given this situation.

Oh, and:

6.) have the books be worthless until the CGC boards and blowout cards start a giant Urkel Twerk of selling books back and forth to each other.

Edited by CBT

I'm so glad I don't have any of these books.....wouldn't it be hilarious if they change Danvers so much its not the character in the comic book or what if its the new incarnation thrown in for giggles. lol

Be even more funny if Captain Marvel was the Captain Marvel from the Bronze aged series because he is the one who had so many interactions with Thanos. lol

They already said that Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel in the movie. (But I think they're going to work Mar-Vell in there along the way.)

Or if it was the Golden Age Captain Marvel

1909266_715619781791934_491084257_o_zps657671c4.jpg

I agree with his points, I dont agree that Captain Marvel is an origin story, because its not.

AS9 continues directly out of it, they are the same story, produced at the same time, released together, 7 days apart, AS9 sold in stores first only because of an existing release date/week.

"together" = "apart"

(shrug)

They already said that Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel in the movie. (But I think they're going to work Mar-Vell in there along the way.)

Mar-Vell :cloud9:

I agree with his points, I dont agree that Captain Marvel is an origin story, because its not.

AS9 continues directly out of it, they are the same story, produced at the same time, released together, 7 days apart, AS9 sold in stores first only because of an existing release date/week.

"together" = "apart"

(shrug)

lol