• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

(shrug)

together = one continuous story. Comic books are released once a month, these two issues go together and were released in the same month. The are the issues of those books, for July.

apart = 7 days apart, avenging spider-man on its existing release day, captain marvel on its brand new release day

Captain Marvel is more appropriately labeled as an origin, as it tells the story of how she took the name.

Spider-man is IN CM1, and asks her to come with him. AS9 then follows from that. I realize most people havent read these, but you cant claim that CM1 is an origin story. They go together/were written together, and the only reason there is even this silly debate is the existing release date of AS9. No doubt the 7 day out of order release was likely to help boost sales of CM1

But all of this is moot. CM1 = Carol Danvers becomes Captain Marvel. It's not an origin story, as9 follows from it directly.

Edited by CBT

Although the gap is greater, isn't this the same debate with ASM 252 & SW 8 for first black costume? Even though Spidey first wore the black costume (storywise) in SW 8 the first appearance of the black costume/symbiote is ASM 252 because of the release date.

:D

A costume and a name are similar but different, but to compare them, they would have to be:

1.) a name change

2.) A continuous story, with ASM252 events/story continuing directly from SW8

3.) Be meant to go together

4.) be released together, separated by 7 days

5.) SW8 being issue 1 and starting a new release schedule for a new series, and only coming out those 7 days later than ASM252, because ASM252 was continuing on its release date from the month before's book (ASM251).

Then you could compare them and say, well the market did this, given this situation.

Oh, and:

6.) have the books be worthless until the CGC boards and blowout cards start a giant Urkel Twerk of selling books back and forth to each other.

1.) it's not a name change it's a change in rank and/or marital status

2.) 252 is a continuation from the end of the SW mini

3.) does not compute

4.) together = separate ? (I saw someone else do this :grin:)

5.) whether the story is in a #1 issue or not doesn't matter; also see point 2 - 251 ends with start of SW, 252 continues after SW

6.) neither book is considered desirable or worth acquiring IMHO so talking up either one seems pointless

(:

1.) it's not a name change it's a change in rank and/or marital status

2.) 252 is a continuation from the end of the SW mini

3.) does not compute

4.) together = separate ? (I saw someone else do this :grin:)

5.) whether the story is in a #1 issue or not doesn't matter; also see point 2 - 251 ends with start of SW, 252 continues after SW

6.) neither book is considered desirable or worth acquiring IMHO so talking up either one seems pointless

(:

1.) If you read CM1, the entire issue is about Carol trying to decide if its right or wrong to take the name of the fallen hero. It's a name change, and it ends with her saying. "I'm taking the name"

2.) To be a direct comparison, they have to not just be related, but continue directly. ie. SW8 "Characters says come with me", ASM252 "thanks for coming, here we are"

3.) refer to 2 & 4

4.) As already explained previously :) , be THAT months copies of their respective series, released with the intention of being a single continuing story.

5.) being a number 1 mattered in the sense that it was not being released on to an already existing release schedule, but starting a brand new schedule, (ie, this book comes out on week 3 in a given month)

6.) the point is flipping, and I agree, the people selling are winning, the people buying will end up losing, for both books.

Edited by CBT

Captain Marvel is more appropriately labeled as an origin, as it tells the story of how she took the name.

Spider-man is IN CM1, and asks her to come with him. AS9 then follows from that. I realize most people havent read these, but you cant claim that CM1 is an origin story. They go together/were written together, and the only reason there is even this silly debate is the existing release date of AS9. No doubt the 7 day out of order release was likely to help boost sales of CM1

But all of this is moot. CM1 = Carol Danvers becomes Captain Marvel. It's not an origin story, as9 follows from it directly.

No one is arguing that Carol Danvers did not become Captain Marvel in Captain Marvel #1. It's just not the first appearance of her as the character. The books were not released together. They were released a week apart. Nor were they intended to be released together. These are facts. Facts are not debatable. What that means for the importance of these books? That we can certainly debate. But until we agree that the facts are the facts any debate is pointless.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

alright, I will of course always respond to any actual points. But its almost 11 and I need to get my work done. I'll check in again in the morning.

To all the lurkers out there, and those sitting on the fence (and I usually get a couple PMs in private from people thanking me, whenever one of these debates goes down), I'll leave it like this:

If you want to buy a book because of Captain Marvels announced movie....

Buy MSH 13.

If you want to buy the book where Carol Danvers becomes Captain Marvel

Buy CM1

If you want to buy a release date...

Buy AS9, but read the argument that has transpired, and know what you are actually buying (or better yet just read the books and make a decision).

Cheers.

and to the haters :D , *smoochies*

Nor were they intended to be released together.

That part is wrong and not a fact, the rest are facts that no one is disputing. My entrance comment that triggered this is that people are missing the forest (her becoming captain marvel) for the trees (a 7 day gap in the release date of two books that go together).

I answered your post cause it was typed while I was typing my goodbye for the evening.

Peace