• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Game of Thrones seems to have decent viewership and to have taken a very prominent place in pop culture. What do Game of Thrones comics sell for? The difference in print runs for the first issue of Game of Thrones compared to R&M is all of 3k copies. Game of Thrones #1 published in 2011. R&M #1 published in 2015. Game of Thrones adapted originally from a series of novels that have sold tens of millions of copies, which would lead one to believe that collectors would be interested in the material being transferred to another medium that also required reading. Game of Thrones also popular at cons (which is a stupid non-metric to begin with). Game of Thrones audience also skews older than R&M which means more disposable income collectively among fans to buy things like comic books that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. And yet the market for Game of Thrones comics is blah.

Thats not a good direct comparison. I didn't even know there was a GoT comic until a couple weeks ago and Ive been collecting comics for a while now. The marketing behind that comic has been terrible. Plus, I don't even know if the comic is very good. Its also not tied to the show very well compared to R&M being almost exactly like the show. Not comparable at all imo.

The market for R&M is not just young adults. It ranges from young adult up through the 40 something professionals (me). Most of my friends (who have money and can afford those prices) are big fans of the show. Its the same kind of people who like Simpsons, Family Guy, Robot Chicken and so on. Pop culture references and more. Not sure why people are throwing this show in the category of the people with limited income who couldn't afford these prices. This market is as wide as TWD and thats why its growing. Its comedy so easily translates to multiple demographics.

There is a video out there somewhere online of Fan Expo Canada of Justin Roiland's line after it closed and it was still huge and he was still signing 10 minutes after close while everything else was cleared out.

12 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Since you have hardly any knowledge about the show or the following and only are looking at a few auctions and bids, Id say you aren't really one to say whether it is or isn't. Until someone can actually prove otherwise, it is. Its just a bunch of tin foil hats without that proof.

I think people who actually watch the show, see whats going on at conventions and know about the demand can understand it much better. Sometimes a show makes people pull out their wallets and this just happens to be one of them.

Here is the most recent active auction.  

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=122723560326&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

It too has the identical shill bidding going on as every single other auction from this month.  Same two shill bidders, 4***y (1) and m***v (52) artificially increasing the price, and apparently not a real bid placed on it after $500 (though I am pretty sure I've seen that w***y (1876) in the other auctions too, now that I think about it).

No offense, but if you're still asking for more "proof", then you're simply denying the obvious and no amount of evidence will ever be enough.  

-J.

I watched R&M, it's a fun show. I'm under 40, but I'm a professional with some discretionary income... no way am I buying a $1500 modern comic based on the show. I never know who those people are or how the translation from one to the other occurs. Logically, you'd have to assume the cross section has to be already hardcore comic collectors discovering the show and going deep on that end. These conversations where people seem to theorize that Joe Sickpack likes <insert entertainment from other form of media here>, so therefore he is dropping stacks on a rare high grade funny book a few weeks later... never really worked for me. I've never met that guy. 

No, Im not denying that there are fraudulent bidders on that book and possibly some others. As Ive said, Im sure there are and Im sure there are on some other books on other series too. But, I do not believe that it influenced the entire R&M comic book market like you guys are saying. Its being implied and suggested that without those bidders, the R&M hype/market wouldn't exist.

8 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I watched R&M, it's a fun show. I'm under 40, but I'm a professional with some discretionary income... no way am I buying a $1500 modern comic based on the show. I never know who those people are or how the translation from one to the other occurs. Logically, you'd have to assume the cross section has to be already hardcore comic collectors discovering the show and going deep on that end. These conversations where people seem to theorize that Joe Sickpack likes <insert entertainment from other form of media here>, so therefore he is dropping stacks on a rare high grade funny book a few weeks later... never really worked for me. I've never met that guy. 

I have a sketch for sale right now for $1200. I put it up this afternoon. I have 2 offers on it. I won't say how much those are exactly, but both are within about 75-85% of that. Im holding out for more obviously. What you guys are suggesting is that its influenced by those fraudulent bidders based on a completely separate book.

Edited by kevhtx

6 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Theres a lot of shows that I watch and I like that I would never spend money on (GoT is one). Some people are more passionate about some than others. Nothing wrong with that. Not odd in the comic world especially. Im sure theres a comic series you probably spend more on than another right?

36 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Game of Thrones seems to have decent viewership and to have taken a very prominent place in pop culture. What do Game of Thrones comics sell for? The difference in print runs for the first issue of Game of Thrones compared to R&M is all of 3k copies. Game of Thrones #1 published in 2011. R&M #1 published in 2015. Game of Thrones adapted originally from a series of novels that have sold tens of millions of copies, which would lead one to believe that collectors would be interested in the material being transferred to another medium that also required reading. Game of Thrones audience also skews older than R&M which means more disposable income collectively among fans to buy things like comic books that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. And yet the market for Game of Thrones comics is blah.

Has any licensed comic ever done well on the secondary market when it wasn't the primary adaptation of the property?

Game of Thrones also popular at cons (which is a stupid non-metric to begin with).

I think the real point there was that some people don't understand just how popular R&M (a show on CN that just started its 3rd season) is, and them not hearing of it like they have the "big" shows (you know, the ones that have been around for decades on major networks) doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

R&M 1:50 variant RAW brings 1500-2000$ consistently

WD 1 RAW brings 1400-2000 consistently (probably less)

no other #1 indie modern books bring those numbers consistently

tell me why I shouldn't compare the two

You can't compare variants to non-variants. It doesn't work at all. There are ASM variants that sell for more than copies of ASM 300, for example.

Just now, kevhtx said:

I have a sketch for sale right now for $1200. I put it up this afternoon. I have 2 offers on it. I won't say how much those are exactly, but both are within about 75-85% of that. Im holding out for more obviously. What you guys are suggesting is that its influenced by those fraudulent bidders.

I'm not really suggesting that. I mean, yes, there are shills and crooks all over the place in the comic secondary market - we all know that, if you don't believe it yet, you will eventually. 

All I'm really trying to say is that I think the number of comic readers brought in by other forms of media is likely very small, and when it does happen, I do not believe that they go right into the deep end and spend thousands of dollars on a single item.

31 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Since you have hardly any knowledge about the show or the following and only are looking at a few auctions and bids, Id say you aren't really one to say whether it is or isn't. Until someone can actually prove otherwise, it is. Its just a bunch of tin foil hats without that proof.

I think people who actually watch the show, see whats going on at conventions and know about the demand can understand it much better. Sometimes a show makes people pull out their wallets and this just happens to be one of them.

Since when does someone has to know about a property in order to understand and analyze market trends???? :pullhair:

I don't know about the show so I don't have the right to speak?

where what.. what year is this?!?!?

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Since when does someone has to know about a property in order to understand and analyze market trends???? :pullhair:

Oh sure you can speak to it, but saying the R&M market isn't organic without knowing anything about the series or the fans is like someone who knows nothing about the walking dead saying that. If you don't know about the following and about the fanbase, how can you accurately know who the market is?

3 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Oh sure you can speak to it, but saying the R&M market isn't organic without knowing anything about the series or the fans is like someone who knows nothing about the walking dead saying that. If you don't know about the following and about the fanbase, how can you accurately know who the market is?

It is?

then what are all these shills about?

10 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

How are you arriving at your analysis? What are you looking at to get here? My take on it... I have no idea who is bidding - I take it for granted that on any book on the way up, there are people hyping it to get there. That is a given. But how do you personally pick things apart to say whether the hype is real or manufactured? 

1 minute ago, SquareChaos said:

How are you arriving at your analysis? What are you looking at to get here? My take on it... I have no idea who is bidding - I take it for granted that on any book on the way up, there are people hyping it to get there. That is a given. But how do you personally pick things apart to say whether the hype is real or manufactured? 

Because there have never been any indie raw books selling for those numbers without having true collectible values. 

Because the R&M followers, as large as they are, are likely not comic book readers more than WD or GOT followers are

Because the shills are blatantly in your face

add the three together and you can make your own analisys about said book 

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

Because there have never been any indie raw books selling for those numbers without having true collectible values. 

Because the R&M followers, as large as they are, are likely not comic book readers more than WD or GOT followers are

Because the shills are blatantly in your face

add the three together and you can make your own analisys about said book 

What do you mean by that first statement I put in bold? I think you likely mean things may be different if the comic came first, and then the cartoon blew up?

5 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

It is?

then what are all these shills about?

You guys are obviously the geniuses who are onto something HUGE here. Id immediately compile all of the hard evidence that you have compiled and contact ebay. They will want to know so they can contact every customer who has bought something related to Rick & Morty. Im sure they will be completely shocked that this type of activity has happened and they will have to come up with some sort of strategy to counter this new type of event on their platform. They might even need to bring down the platform for a few days I bet.

Ill be sure to contact the customers of mine who have bought from me to let them know that the fixed price auctions were fraudulently influenced by a completely separate book as well so I can refund them. And, the ones who messaged me after I didn't have anymore books and asked if I had more, Ill tell them that they were actually somehow influenced through those frauds as well. 

Just now, SquareChaos said:

What do you mean by that first statement I put in bold? I think you likely mean things may be different if the comic came first, and then the cartoon blew up?

Accurate. 

That is how books of any format behave when a successful show or movie are launched. 

Never have they happened in reverse to that extent and that quickly

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

Accurate. 

That is how books of any format behave when a successful show or movie are launched. 

Never have they happened in reverse to that extent and that quickly

I generally agree.

But there is a big wide gap between purchasers looking for value and those looking for profit. No way would I look here for value (read: long-term), and at these prices profit (short-term) is likely done too. Which means the book should stop selling, and the price should start dropping. If it doesn't, then you have two possibilities: shills are creating fake sales trying to keep it alive (most likely), or the value concept needs to be re-evaluated.