Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
109 109

50,196 posts in this topic

2,207 posts

Someone had the ridiculous money to spend on the sauce.

And they did.

20837005_108988503151528_920292511489772

 

PS: If you don't recognize him without the mouse head, that is Deadmau5.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,663 posts
5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

What about the 100+ BINS that I was actually showing in lieu of one high priced rare item that you plucked out?

This is kinda like you asking Coca Cola "but why do u need a $4m ad on the super bowl when u have people buying your product already?"

u have to realize that NO product is sought after by the masses without having perceived higher value

while there's no harm in advertising your product legally, there is great harm in hacking your product to the top charts illegally 

that's all these shills are - hacked ads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,357 posts
5 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

This is kinda like you asking Coca Cola "but why do u need a $4m ad on the super bowl when u have people buying your product already?"

u have to realize that NO product is sought after by the masses without having perceived higher value

while there's no harm in advertising your product legally, there is great harm in hacking your product to the top charts illegally 

that's all these shills are - hacked ads

Except the flaw in your logic is that the Szechuan sauce hype happened more recently. It was in season 3 episode 1 and started gaining a following on social media because of the creators doing some funny bits with it along with other organic fan attention it was getting via social. And now, press attention. The books (BINs included) have been selling well for months (arguably over a year if you look at the rise of price versus just the amounts now).

The unanticipated drop of Season 3 was a catalyst that has helped surge prices, but anticipation of a long awaited new season, lack of R&M content, growing fanbase via word of mouth/blurays/VOD/internet viewing all helped the comic sales. Deny it or not, everyone else understands it except a couple of you. And as has been said, any hot series will attract some shill bidding. Im sure when TWD was hot, you could find the same trends of occasional shill bidding (and I'm not talking about the 1:50 Roiland variant book). Actually, I bet it was worse because TWD was hotter than R&M ever was in its heyday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,663 posts
13 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Except the flaw in your logic is that the Szechuan sauce hype happened more recently. It was in season 3 episode 1 and started gaining a following on social media because of the creators doing some funny bits with it along with other organic fan attention it was getting via social. And now, press attention. The books (BINs included) have been selling well for months (arguably over a year if you look at the rise of price versus just the amounts now).

The unanticipated drop of Season 3 was a catalyst that has helped surge prices, but anticipation of a long awaited new season, lack of R&M content, growing fanbase via word of mouth/blurays/VOD/internet viewing all helped the comic sales. Deny it or not, everyone else understands it except a couple of you. And as has been said, any hot series will attract some shill bidding. Im sure when TWD was hot, you could find the same trends of occasional shill bidding (and I'm not talking about the 1:50 Roiland variant book). Actually, I bet it was worse because TWD was hotter than R&M ever was in its heyday.

You asking us to make sense out of "the evolution" of R&M's popularity is probably more difficult to us than you grasping the fact of how blatant you come across here to others as a dealer whos sole interest in engaging in this conversation is to protect your investment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,357 posts
2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

You asking us to make sense out of "the evolution" of R&M's popularity is probably more difficult to us than you grasping the fact of how blatant you come across here to others as a dealer whos sole interest in engaging in this conversation is to protect your investment

First off, you can call me a dealer. A better description, and probably like a lot of people on this board who speculate, is that I just happen to buy an extra copy or 2 of a book that I think will be popular, keep one for myself and sell the others for a profit. I do it to pay for my own personal collection. It allows me to buy more comics for myself. Not my day job. Not illegal and I don't scam people in any way or use false information.

When talking about this subject, Im a big fan of the show and have been for more than a year. Im knowledgable about the subject and the fans unlike others who when the subject initially came up had no clue what it even was and made shot in the dark guesses at why it got hot on eBay. All were wrong and the predictions of it falling off were wrong. They were wrong because of the fans and the popularity of the show. And I believe the fraud theory of the ENTIRE R&M series being based on a scam is ludicrous too based on the number of sales of not only issue #1, all the variants, but also all of the following issues and even further issues in the series. AND, the consistent print run numbers for Oni Press. Theres no denying those facts or the real BIN sales that I have had that are not fake or frauds.

Others have pointed valid points out, you just don't want to acknowledge it. Ive acknowledged that the 1:50 has shilled bids and I even reported it to eBay. Ive even acknowledged that theres probably some shilled bids in some other auctions in the series. But, theres overwhelming numbers in sales of the series that there no way that it would affect the series as a whole. Especially since there are so many BINs/Fixed bid sales and raw sales that aren't in GPA data along with tons of other products that have nothing to do with comics. A few shilled bids wouldn't have any affect on them.

I am sure you will just respond with another cheap shot about me selling books or another vague theory about fraud somehow possibly affecting the series, but with no real data to back it up. Like I said before, if you really believed that and had data to back it up, you should be contacting eBay and sending them your data so they could be investigating it. But, you will just dig in your heels and adjust your tin foil hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,966 posts
3 hours ago, Flatliner1313 said:

Someone had the ridiculous money to spend on the sauce.

And they did.

20837005_108988503151528_920292511489772

 

PS: If you don't recognize him without the mouse head, that is Deadmau5.

 

There is always that wild card value of interested wealthy person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,743 posts
4 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

The McDonalds sauce auctions are obviously jokes. The actual R&M book auctions, some of this, and some of that.

What sauce, the little dipping sauces? No, those are actually real. It's a limited edition item.

The large bottle is a limited edition of 3 from what I am gathering from the tweet that was included in the listing. 3 in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,743 posts
2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

This is kinda like you asking Coca Cola "but why do u need a $4m ad on the super bowl when u have people buying your product already?"

u have to realize that NO product is sought after by the masses without having perceived higher value

while there's no harm in advertising your product legally, there is great harm in hacking your product to the top charts illegally 

that's all these shills are - hacked ads

These are limited edition. McDonald's said they would only be available for one day. "Perceived higher value" has nothing to do with it. People are not buying these to resell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,966 posts

Limited edition dipping sauce as collectible. Sure, why not. CGC should encapsulate them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,743 posts
3 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Limited edition dipping sauce as collectible. Sure, why not. CGC should encapsulate them.

 

I'm sure some people would say the same thing about a comic book. Everybody collects different things for different reasons. But, of course, it you mention that on these boards you are wrong and everything is created from a false market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,357 posts
11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I'm sure some people would say the same thing about a comic book. Everybody collects different things for different reasons. But, of course, it you mention that on these boards you are wrong and everything is created from a false market.

My dad has Dr. Pepper bottles (unopened) from Crimson Tide football with Bear Bryant on them. I have no idea how old they are. Yes, I think some things are ridiculous. A lot of collectibles are. Funko Pop vinyls??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,357 posts

Now days, advertisers are doing everything they can to market. Its the wild west again. Traditional marketing doesn't work. Look how McDonalds is jumping on board a simple reference to this sauce from that episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,966 posts
38 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Now days, advertisers are doing everything they can to market. Its the wild west again. Traditional marketing doesn't work. Look how McDonalds is jumping on board a simple reference to this sauce from that episode.

Traditional marketing works fine, they're just always coming up with new ways to market items.

 

Also, collecting food stuffs is not really comparable to collecting Americana or comics or art, etc.

Edited by SquareChaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,357 posts
1 minute ago, SquareChaos said:

Traditional marketing works fine, they're just always coming up with new ways to market items.

 

Also, collecting food stuffs is not really comparable to collecting Americana or comics or art, etc.

When I say traditional marketing, I mean print ads, TV advertisements and what marketing used to rely on even just a few years ago. Even now, online advertisements are always evolving and advertisers have to stay on top of it. Advertising evolves much faster than it did 10-20 years ago. This year, its video ads, next year, it may be something else. Viral marketing, influencer marketing and other tools are very successful as well. Its a different world than it was just a few years ago. These viral campaigns aren't going to go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,357 posts
9 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Also, collecting food stuffs is not really comparable to collecting Americana or comics or art, etc.

It also probably depends on if he was actually keeping it for a collection or going to eat it. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,966 posts
8 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

It also probably depends on if he was actually keeping it for a collection or going to eat it. ;) 

They can just go to McDonalds and stock up on the cheap soon. Though I imagine with it being a one day thing they are likely to run out in a lot of stores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,743 posts
22 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

They can just go to McDonalds and stock up on the cheap soon. Though I imagine with it being a one day thing they are likely to run out in a lot of stores.

It's the variant of sauces. That's like saying you can walk into a comic shop whenever you want and get the hot variant at cover price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,966 posts
1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

It's the variant of sauces. That's like saying you can walk into a comic shop whenever you want and get the hot variant at cover price.

hm

I hear Dell'Otto, JSC, and Hughes were all involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,743 posts
7 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

hm

I hear Dell'Otto, JSC, and Hughes were all involved.

LOOK! HOT! RARE! HTF!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,663 posts
2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

These are limited edition.

Product= R&M ≠ sauce

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

People are not buying these to resell.

"Can you share the results of this survey you obviously conducted " :baiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
109 109