• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Couchy81 said:

I get a much different result when I click on "most recent first" instead of highest price. ;)

Oh yes, to the "me now" generation, only last week is a "trend". :grin:

50 minutes ago, divad said:

Oh yes, to the "me now" generation, only last week is a "trend". :grin:

I honestly remember looking for this book at a convention that has passed a year and already had another one. (So, over a year ago) At the time it was hot because, as I stated, he was announced for the Green Lantern Corps movie.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I honestly remember looking for this book at a convention that has passed a year and already had another one. (So, over a year ago) At the time it was hot because, as I stated, he was announced for the Green Lantern Corps movie.

Granted, but then what explains nikelspot's sale in December? hm (also a boardie) hm 

Edited by divad

19 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Well, before the movie news it was a dollar book. It's not heating up, it already has risen in value.

It's a terrible first appearance too. Just a small image of a million lanterns in a DPS. I still sell them for $15 raw when labeled as their 1st apps, but they buyers may be disappointed when they get home (provided they actually open it).

1 hour ago, divad said:

I assume by your quotes you don't think it's a 9.8? lol

Would need to see a better image of the lower edge back cover below the words "Trademark Office"

Also my original point still stands, the book (the regular cover at least, haven't looked at the variant) has lost half of its raw value, no doubt it has see a lower transaction frequency as well. Ergo your sale is not part of a trend and the book is not heating up. 

5 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

....not attacking you, but your post (unless tongue-in-cheek) seems a little aggressive....

Ha, yes, very much so.

Everybody wants to be a flipper now and is looking for the hot book without contributing. Look how many views this thread gets when someone posts.

Look at the recent flavors of the week,  a few Batman books (proposal, annual, white knight), mostly small gainers. There is money to be made out there, but it's not on old spec. and one week not books.

11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Ha, yes, very much so.

Everybody wants to be a flipper now and is looking for the hot book without contributing. Look how many views this thread gets when someone posts.

Look at the recent flavors of the week,  a few Batman books (proposal, annual, white knight), mostly small gainers. There is money to be made out there, but it's not on old spec. and one week not books.

All very good points....and yes, the flipping of books seems to be the "hobby of the day".  Whether it's old spec...new spec....there is money to be made, albeit much smaller percentages in comparison to the more stellar "turns".  

Now, keeping in mind that what you sell it for is just as important as what you buy it for, this week was good for spec books.

Ice Cream Man #1 $10-$15

Aquaman #32B $7-10

Call of the Suicide Forest #1 $10-$12

Avengers #676 $10-14

....not bad returns really if you acquired the books at a discount and have sold them in their respective ranges.....

Serious question though; Would this qualify as "Moderns Heating Up" or are dividing the spectrum into further categories and/or timelines?

8 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

All very good points....and yes, the flipping of books seems to be the "hobby of the day".  Whether it's old spec...new spec....there is money to be made, albeit much smaller percentages in comparison to the more stellar "turns".  

Now, keeping in mind that what you sell it for is just as important as what you buy it for, this week was good for spec books.

Ice Cream Man #1 $10-$15

Aquaman #32B $7-10

Call of the Suicide Forest #1 $10-$12

Avengers #676 $10-14

....not bad returns really if you acquired the books at a discount and have sold them in their respective ranges.....

Serious question though; Would this qualify as "Moderns Heating Up" or are dividing the spectrum into further categories and/or timelines?

Avengers 676 hit $25. But I feel this is people thinking they are "missing out on the next thing". Not good speculation on future character(s). Voyager is in and on several covers of 675.

A book like Aquaman is one in a long line of DC B covers that have week of release fluctuations. Last week was Flash Mattina and another "flash" in the pan, JLA.

Yet, nobody is posting on here.

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Avengers 676 hit $25. But I feel this is people thinking they are "missing out on the next thing". Not good speculation on future character(s). Voyager is in and on several covers of 675.

A book like Aquaman is one in a long line of DC B covers that have week of release fluctuations. Last week was Flash Mattina and another "flash" in the pan, JLA.

Yet, nobody is posting on here.

Agree completely on all fronts.  With regards to the "Voyager" appearance madness.....she is on one of the covers for Captain America a few weeks ago, so your reference to FOMO is very accurate---I think anyways.  

I have a lot more faith in the Aquaman 32 variant (long term) as the print run is pretty low (respectively) and Mera is going to be in her own title soon with one of the covers drawn by Artgerm.  Couple this cover with the "Dolphin" cover of Aquaman #26B and that makes a far more attractive set---some are for sale for $25....

DC's variant covers by big names are very under-rated imo....just look at those Frison covers for WW or Cho covers for HQ.  I think this is going to be great money down the line and I buy a fair amount of those for just that reason.  Will I be right?  Only time will tell and that time might be 3-4 years off.  

33 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Agree completely on all fronts.  With regards to the "Voyager" appearance madness.....she is on one of the covers for Captain America a few weeks ago, so your reference to FOMO is very accurate---I think anyways.  

I have a lot more faith in the Aquaman 32 variant (long term) as the print run is pretty low (respectively) and Mera is going to be in her own title soon with one of the covers drawn by Artgerm.  Couple this cover with the "Dolphin" cover of Aquaman #26B and that makes a far more attractive set---some are for sale for $25....

DC's variant covers by big names are very under-rated imo....just look at those Frison covers for WW or Cho covers for HQ.  I think this is going to be great money down the line and I buy a fair amount of those for just that reason.  Will I be right?  Only time will tell and that time might be 3-4 years off.  

Agreed, I'm not a Frisson fan, but I do think her WW covers and the Cho HQ are long term winners. And with that I mean $12 in 10 years. So I'm only buying in at $1-2 overstock bins.

Lets not forget what happened to that Sienkwicz Hawkman cover. An early Rebirth winner.

Yup....that Sienkiewicz Hawkman cover came out of nowhere...rose up....and is probably back to cover.  I think I have 4 of them and I'm fine with sitting on them.  Those Frison and Cho covers...even Middleton covers will go for better prices in the future, but I don't think it will take 10 years....I really don't.  Now, I am being selective in this, but the following could be very much more in demand than they already are;

Aquaman #10B, 26B, 32B

HQ #4B, 11B, 24B & 25B, 30B

WW #7B, 17B, 20B, 23B, 24B, 25B

Again, who knows, but based on previous cycles, these should do far better than average....imo, of course.

I agree these are good books for the future, but lots of them are $10-$12 (plus shipping) already.

I would add the artgerm Supergirl covers to the list, and moving forward, the sporadic Hughes covers that are starting to appear (e.g. Batgirl and the Birds of Prey).