• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Yup....that Sienkiewicz Hawkman cover came out of nowhere...rose up....and is probably back to cover.  I think I have 4 of them and I'm fine with sitting on them.  Those Frison and Cho covers...even Middleton covers will go for better prices in the future, but I don't think it will take 10 years....I really don't.  Now, I am being selective in this, but the following could be very much more in demand than they already are;

Aquaman #10B, 26B, 32B

HQ #4B, 11B, 24B & 25B, 30B

WW #7B, 17B, 20B, 23B, 24B, 25B

Again, who knows, but based on previous cycles, these should do far better than average....imo, of course.

Why are people still trying to make Frison a thing? What makes you think these cover artist runs are going to be worth something ever? In the entire modern age of comics, how many cover artist runs actually sell for decent money? Is this a print run thing? Of which previous cycles are you speaking?

4 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Why are people still trying to make Frison a thing? What makes you think these cover artist runs are going to be worth something ever? In the entire modern age of comics, how many cover artist runs actually sell for decent money? Is this a print run thing? Of which previous cycles are you speaking?

Absolutely agree. A great cover by a great artist doesnt translate to big bucks.

Look at Dave Stevens. Probably the biggest cheescake/girlie modern (copper) cover artist ever. None of his books or covers are worth a fraction of what those he inspired are worth.

That doesnt mean that they are less sought after, or that he is a bad artist

4 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Absolutely agree. A great cover by a great artist doesnt translate to big bucks.

Look at Dave Stevens. Probably the biggest cheescake/girlie modern (copper) cover artist ever. None of his books or covers are worth a fraction of what those he inspired are worth.

Stevens is going to see a large bump in prices...eventually. The discrepancy in availability between his stuff and the cheesecake stuff that is produced now is just too large. The only reason it hasn't happened already is because his subjects are not Marvel and DC characters. At some point this stuff gets old enough where the market buys into it despite the characters and titles no longer having any relevance in the hobby, because he has a relatively low number of works, in terms of covers, and they never fell off a cliff in terms of quality. 

33 minutes ago, darkstar said:
11 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Yup....that Sienkiewicz Hawkman cover came out of nowhere...rose up....and is probably back to cover.  I think I have 4 of them and I'm fine with sitting on them.  Those Frison and Cho covers...even Middleton covers will go for better prices in the future, but I don't think it will take 10 years....I really don't.  Now, I am being selective in this, but the following could be very much more in demand than they already are;

Aquaman #10B, 26B, 32B

Again, who knows, but based on previous cycles, these should do far better than average....imo, of course.

Covers are very very speculative. They have to develop their own audience for the artist. For me I wont touch one unless I get it very cheap for the most part. I will admit there are a few covers
that I think are spectacular, but I am past all the store variants exclusives.

Not a Frison fan either, but it is a print run thing many times unless you are a JSC or Hughes fan where there regular issues sell well in high grade especially early issues.

6 minutes ago, darkstar said:
29 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Stevens is going to see a large bump in prices...eventually. The discrepancy in availability between his stuff and the cheesecake stuff that is produced now is just too large. The only reason it hasn't happened already is because his subjects are not Marvel and DC characters. At some point this stuff gets old enough where the market buys into it despite the characters and titles no longer having any relevance in the hobby, because he has a relatively low number of works, in terms of covers, and they never fell off a cliff in terms of quality. 

Its going to be a long time I think. While I like the covers nobody knows about him anymore. You have to somehow get the newer collectors to view his art. Hard to do on a book that isn't a Marvel, Image, or DC back issue.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

#1.  Runs in general don't sell well it seems to me and that is why I gave specific titles and numbers.

#2.  Have you seen some of the closed prices recently on the books that I mentioned?  

#3. If you paid $2.00 for something and can sell it for $10.00 + shipping......is this a bad thing?

#4.  Artgerm Batgirls and Hughs Catwoman to name 2 right off the top of my head---I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that those books didn't encompass killer stories....

5 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

#1.  Runs in general don't sell well it seems to me and that is why I gave specific titles and numbers.

#2.  Have you seen some of the closed prices recently on the books that I mentioned?  

#3. If you paid $2.00 for something and can sell it for $10.00 + shipping......is this a bad thing?

#4.  Artgerm Batgirls and Hughs Catwoman to name 2 right off the top of my head---I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that those books didn't encompass killer stories....

1. Right, but you are selecting books by looking at runs done by a specific cover artist on a specific title. I'm just trying to narrow down your reasoning why you think the specific issues you listed were going to increase in price.

2. Are you talking about the 5 or 10 dollar closed prices? Frison and Cho, outside of their incentives, pretty much have no standing on the secondary market. All this talk about Frison over the past year has yet to materialize. Are all these hopes and dreams based on Astonishing Ant-Man 10? As for Cho, his Harley and Wonder Woman B cover variants are doing nothing raw and the CGC SS copies are going for 50-100 bucks ffs. Cho is great, but his Harley Quinn is meh, oftentimes it looks like she has been logging with Dexter.

3. That would depend on if the cost was actually $2. And volume involved. And acquisition time. And the amount of time until sale.

4. So as we approach 2 and a half decades worth of books, you managed to name a total of 2 off the top of your head? The debate here isn't about whether cover art alone is enough to move the needle on the secondary market, but how often it happens. Based on how infrequently it has happened in regards to books published within the last 25 years, there is a good bet that isn't all of a sudden going to become a thing with the introduction of Rebirth. Even if you have a crop of B cover variants that are currently selling for $10, why do you believe they'll eventually selling for significantly more, especially in less than 10 years? 

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

doh!
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=planet+comics&_udlo=10&_mPrRngCbx=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC1.A0.H0.Xplanet+comics+steven.TRS1&_nkw=planet+comics+stevens&_sacat=0

3 hours ago, Brock said:

I agree these are good books for the future, but lots of them are $10-$12 (plus shipping) already.

I would add the artgerm Supergirl covers to the list, and moving forward, the sporadic Hughes covers that are starting to appear (e.g. Batgirl and the Birds of Prey).

They may have been at one time, but none regularly sell for that.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=wonder+woman+frison&_udlo=10&_mPrRngCbx=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xwonder+woman+frison+-cgc.TRS1&_nkw=wonder+woman+frison+-cgc&_sacat=0

44 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

They may have been at one time, but none regularly sell for that.

I think that - looking only at Mapleleafvann's list - Wonder Woman 7 and Aquaman 26 are usually ("regularly") in that range.

And I agree with the bet on Stevens. Planet Comics sells well, but Elvira has really taken off recently too...

14 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Aquaman #10B, 26B, 32B

If you're looking for Frison's I would look at her Vampirella covers. Way lower print runs / availability.

18 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

It's a terrible first appearance too. Just a small image of a million lanterns in a DPS. I still sell them for $15 raw when labeled as their 1st apps, but they buyers may be disappointed when they get home (provided they actually open it).

Well then . . . why don't you just  give them away? lol Freakin' dealers. :p

I post real sales that people might be interested in. I rarely if ever own more than one copy of any book. I don't scour dollar boxes for "deals". I buy HG original owner collections, and keep what I want for my own collection and sell the rest when the timing is appropriate. So in a couple of words . . . lol

Edited by divad

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Planet Comics 1 doesn't fetch anywhere close to what the Dirty Pair swipe does, which is exactly the point aweandlorder was making. Also the duration of the recent interest in PC 1 is currently unknown. 

19 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

It's a terrible first appearance too. Just a small image of a million lanterns in a DPS. I still sell them for $15 raw when labeled as their 1st apps, but they buyers may be disappointed when they get home (provided they actually open it).

It has an incentive variant so that is the issue that sees the investment. Issue 28 doesn't have a variant, so it's a dog.

I understand the skepticism on cover artist runs. However, we need to keep in mind there is a whole generation of collectors who entered this game where variants are king and cover artists and scarcity are more important than content.

It's not the same rules the rest of us were raised with. I don't know if old precedents apply. It's easy to say these won't last but the truth is; anything is possible in this insane bull market.

4 hours ago, darkstar said:

1. Right, but you are selecting books by looking at runs done by a specific cover artist on a specific title. I'm just trying to narrow down your reasoning why you think the specific issues you listed were going to increase in price.

2. Are you talking about the 5 or 10 dollar closed prices? Frison and Cho, outside of their incentives, pretty much have no standing on the secondary market. All this talk about Frison over the past year has yet to materialize. Are all these hopes and dreams based on Astonishing Ant-Man 10? As for Cho, his Harley and Wonder Woman B cover variants are doing nothing raw and the CGC SS copies are going for 50-100 bucks ffs. Cho is great, but his Harley Quinn is meh, oftentimes it looks like she has been logging with Dexter.

3. That would depend on if the cost was actually $2. And volume involved. And acquisition time. And the amount of time until sale.

4. So as we approach 2 and a half decades worth of books, you managed to name a total of 2 off the top of your head? The debate here isn't about whether cover art alone is enough to move the needle on the secondary market, but how often it happens. Based on how infrequently it has happened in regards to books published within the last 25 years, there is a good bet that isn't all of a sudden going to become a thing with the introduction of Rebirth. Even if you have a crop of B cover variants that are currently selling for $10, why do you believe they'll eventually selling for significantly more, especially in less than 10 years? 

-I just think these covers are outstanding and will be in demand for their cover art alone.  Keep in mind that HQ and WW are highly collectible mainstream titles.  Aquaman?  Not so much, but with great cover art featuring Mera and Dolphin?  I'll take it.   

-I think there are some of both $5 and $10 closed prices for these books.  I wouldn't exactly call them hopes and dreams---no one is going to buying an island with the profit from these books.  

-Given that my cost is $2.10 for these books, I have no problem sitting on them to see if they will move up further---sell some right out of the gate and that basically has paid for the rest of your copies, so really, your actual money that is being risked = $0.

-I think your last point here is absolutely correct---I don't see many of them going for a lot more than $10---unless something happened in the storyline to make them more important.  I do think that they will be covers that will be sought out by collectors though and that might lead to higher prices.....but that doesn't guarantee a single thing.  I sure wish I had multiples of those Hughs books....as well as the Alex Garner WW's. 

6 hours ago, darkstar said:

Stevens is going to see a large bump in prices...eventually.

Now I know where all those high grade DS covers are hiding :bigsmile:

6 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Its going to be a long time I think. While I like the covers nobody knows about him anymore

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords="dave+stevens"&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3A"dave+stevens"

Actually alot of people do. He's just more known among art collectors than comic fan-boys. 

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

2 hours ago, darkstar said:

Planet Comics 1 doesn't fetch anywhere close to what the Dirty Pair swipe does, which is exactly the point aweandlorder was making. Also the duration of the recent interest in PC 1 is currently unknown. 

lNEg8.gif

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

If you're looking for Frison's I would look at her Vampirella covers. Way lower print runs / availability.

True, but I'm not a completionist/completist.  I certainly don't love all of her work...or any artists' collective body of work.  I pick and choose the covers that I think are outstanding and I do buy multiples of them---in some cases, many multiples.  Almost all of those covers I mentioned were immediate sell outs and "surprised" the market.....with zero reprints since they are cover price variants.