• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Na, let me list a couple properties that did well for the most part in the market and then look at how the comics performed. Only the Big 2 last at this point.

Dark Matter (3 seasons *now cancelled, thanks ComicCollectorMatt)

Wynonna Earp (2 seasons)

The Strain (4 seasons, now tied to an Academy Award winner, too late?)

Happy (renewed for 2nd season with B list star)

Kick A**(2 major movies with A list actors)

Secret Service (2 major movies and going)

Hard pressed to get $50 for the first of all of those. Meanwhile the rumor of Nomad appearing brings $50 easy.

The difference that I see is that Valiant is an ongoing shared universe. There's just more meat there, especially for Marvel and DC fans that might be looking for something new (but similar to what they are fans of).

6 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The difference that I see is that Valiant is an ongoing shared universe. There's just more meat there, especially for Marvel and DC fans that might be looking for something new (but similar to what they are fans of).

Yes, and that's what Valiant is hanging their hat on. Valiant super hero properties have been around for 25 years. They have created great stories, great interior art and great covers. IMO I don't see the needle shifting because of a movie. Many retailers have claimed movies don't do much in terms of new readers.

14 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Na, let me list a couple properties that did well for the most part in the market and then look at how the comics performed. Only the Big 2 last at this point.

Wynonna Earp (2 seasons)

Hard pressed to get $50 for the first of all of those. Meanwhile the rumor of Nomad appearing brings $50 easy.

I know your list isn't comprehensive, but another book that is currently selling for a fraction of what it was pre-TV show is iZombie (currently in it's 4th season and well liked). I liked the book although admittedly haven't kept up with the show.

12 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
15 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Wynonna Earp (2 seasons)

Yeah, Valiant is most likely somewhere between the Big Two and self-contained, creator-owned properties.

56 minutes ago, Hekla said:

I know your list isn't comprehensive, but another book that is currently selling for a fraction of what it was pre-TV show is iZombie (currently in it's 4th season and well liked). I liked the book although admittedly haven't kept up with the show.

Good one. I think it's on it's third season and it must be fairly popular on the CW. I would pick up the Cooke variant if I saw one at a good price. But I never see them. Honestly surprised Alias #1 is holding at a pretty good price.

12 hours ago, nordicguyinla said:

It also presented on the shelf as the swipe cover. Was hard to spot and identify as Thanos 13

Also, would it be fair to guess that most shops ordered more of the lenticular than the regular? Along with the regular cover actually having Cosmic Ghost Rider on it, and the lenticular for that one is pretty dern ugly. Even the trading card variant is going for considerably more than the lenticular.

1 hour ago, BishopT said:

Also, would it be fair to guess that most shops ordered more of the lenticular than the regular? Along with the regular cover actually having Cosmic Ghost Rider on it, and the lenticular for that one is pretty dern ugly. Even the trading card variant is going for considerably more than the lenticular.

Hard to say who ordered what. I would guess not more lenticulars because Marvel put ordering restrictions on all of them.

Also, CGR is not on the cover of 13 until the 2nd print.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Hard to say who ordered what. I would guess not more lenticulars because Marvel put ordering restrictions on all of them.

Also, CGR is not on the cover of 13 until the 2nd print.

Ah, my mistake on the 13 cover not featuring Ghost Rider. Also, I thought that the lenticulars were regular availability?

23 minutes ago, BishopT said:

Ah, my mistake on the 13 cover not featuring Ghost Rider. Also, I thought that the lenticulars were regular availability?

All 53 of the "Marvel Legacy" titles have a different percentage qualifier to unlock the ability for retailers to order the lenticular variant.

https://www.newsarama.com/35809-marvel-legacy-lenticular-cover-variants-retailers.html

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, and that's what Valiant is hanging their hat on. Valiant super hero properties have been around for 25 years. They have created great stories, great interior art and great covers. IMO I don't see the needle shifting because of a movie. Many retailers have claimed movies don't do much in terms of new readers.

I don't expect movies in general to lead people who don't read comics to start reading them. But Marvel and DC readers who don't know much about Valiant might be turned on to them.

11 hours ago, BishopT said:

44,311 copies of Thanos 13 1st print shipped from Diamond, followed by 25,578 copies of Thanos 14. I'd bet there are 20,000 copies or so of the lenticular cover out there. Marvel played a bunch of games with the ordering on those lenticular covers, eg. you had to order a bunch of the regular cover to qualify, then you could order as many lenticulars as you wanted. Now see how that worked out, the regular cover is gold and the lenticular is selling for cover price. Marvel won't be able to pull that scam again.. for a few years anyway, until people forget. But be sure to pick up "Thanos Annual #1" in a few weeks, and pay no attention to that old "Thanos Annual #1" published back in 2014.

Edited by snematbakhsh

16 hours ago, snematbakhsh said:

44,311 copies of Thanos 13 1st print shipped from Diamond, followed by 25,578 copies of Thanos 14. I'd bet there are 20,000 copies or so of the lenticular cover out there. Marvel played a bunch of games with the ordering on those lenticular covers, eg. you had to order a bunch of the regular cover to qualify, then you could order as many lenticulars as you wanted. Now see how that worked out, the regular cover is gold and the lenticular is selling for cover price. Marvel won't be able to pull that scam again.. for a few years anyway, until people forget. But be sure to pick up "Thanos Annual #1" in a few weeks, and pay no attention to that old "Thanos Annual #1" published back in 2014.

No shops around here got the Thanos #13 1:25 variant or else I would've grabbed it, it's one of those series that just a few shop regulars were reading during Lemire's run so I'm guessing that even with Infinity War on the horizon, nobody went heavy on it.

They all finally caught on and went big on the 2nd and 3rd printings but still not so much with the 1st prints of the entire run at all, not even the last 2 issues when the series was established as a hit.

Point being, the lenticular will slowly rise in price, (currently $50-$60 in 9.8 which isn't bad) people are going to want complete sets because it's one of the few bright spots from Marvel in the last decade

On 4/12/2018 at 6:38 PM, Lonzilla said:

No shops around here got the Thanos #13 1:25 variant or else I would've grabbed it, it's one of those series that just a few shop regulars were reading during Lemire's run so I'm guessing that even with Infinity War on the horizon, nobody went heavy on it.

They all finally caught on and went big on the 2nd and 3rd printings but still not so much with the 1st prints of the entire run at all, not even the last 2 issues when the series was established as a hit.

Point being, the lenticular will slowly rise in price, (currently $50-$60 in 9.8 which isn't bad) people are going to want complete sets because it's one of the few bright spots from Marvel in the last decade

I could be wrong - but isn't the print run on 2nd prints about half of 1st print and then half again on 3rd ?  

The Thanos #17 Comic Mint exclusive variant should fetch premium prices in high grade. The one I ordered from them which took over a month to get was filled with spine ticks, and staple rubs. I guess they hoarded all of the 9.8's for themselves.

Seriously, don't order anything from those jerks. I read the horror stories about their crappy service and low grade raws, the only way you'll get anything close to a 9.8 is if you buy it slabbed from them. I should've listened to what others had said.

Is it ok to say "whores" on here? That's what they are. F THEM!

3 hours ago, Lonzilla said:

The Thanos #17 Comic Mint exclusive variant should fetch premium prices in high grade. The one I ordered from them which took over a month to get was filled with spine ticks, and staple rubs. I guess they hoarded all of the 9.8's for themselves.

Seriously, don't order anything from those jerks. I read the horror stories about their crappy service and low grade raws, the only way you'll get anything close to a 9.8 is if you buy it slabbed from them. I should've listened to what others had said.

Is it ok to say "whores" on here? That's what they are. F THEM!

Did you call them? Or just complain on these boards. I have two orders for asm 800 in with them. So, I am curious about these stories you speak of.