• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Green said:

There is a known error for hulk 400? Can anyone provide a photo, does anyone own one and if you do, do you have a bucket to carry my money in?

I would bet a large amount of money that there is at least one error copy of each mass produced, early 90s foil gimmick issue.

1 hour ago, 500Club said:
22 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:
22 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Unless the customer had specifically ordered it earlier, the LCS has no obligation to give away desperately needed profit to enable dirty flippers to make money.

Why are you assuming that the people who did not preorder one, but want one from their local comic shop are "dirty flippers" out to just make money?

Observation of behavior in the hobby over the last few years probably justifies his cynicism.

Yeah. I may need to wear glasses, but with them, I can see pretty damn well.

And, as I previously posted, shops can always make exceptions for their regulars. When I had a pull, I missed out on ordering a (somewhat) hot issue that was related to the other stuff I was buying, but got it for cover price despite the shelf copies being marked up.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:
4 hours ago, Green said:

There is a known error for hulk 400? Can anyone provide a photo, does anyone own one and if you do, do you have a bucket to carry my money in?

I would bet a large amount of money that there is at least one error copy of each mass produced, early 90s foil gimmick issue.

Yeah probably mostly missing foil or stamped wrong. Most of the 2099 books had errors like that.

6 hours ago, the blob said:

It is $20+ on ebay. Unless you ordered it for your file or you spend a bunch of money at your shop, why on earth should the shop be selling them to you at cover price? These are mostly struggling businessess, they need to make money where they can.

I have a contrary perspective. I would make the argument that the reason these are struggling businesses is because they’re the kinds of places that charge $20 for cover B on the day of release.

In my mind, the distinction that’s often missed is that flipper profits from the industry’s inability to operate an effective distribution system...I can sell Suicide Squad for $20 to someone in another community via ebay because the system itself is incapable of matching supply to demand. The shop that sells the same book for $20 is undercutting it’s own local retail market, and exacerbating the inefficiencies of the distribution system.

Morally, I don’t have any issues with the retailer charging $20, but (and I say this a serial entrepreneur who has launched and sold multiple businesses), from a business practice or market development perspective, it’s self-defeating and destructive... hence “these are mostly struggling businesses.”

Edited by Brock

27 minutes ago, Brock said:

I have a contrary perspective. I would make the argument that the reason these are struggling businesses is because they’re the kinds of places that charge $20 for cover B on the day of release.

In my mind, the distinction that’s often missed is that flipper profits from the industry’s inability to operate an effective distribution system...I can sell Suicide Squad for $20 to someone in another community via ebay because the system itself is incapable of matching supply to demand. The shop that sells the same book for $20 is undercutting it’s own local retail market, and exacerbating the inefficiencies of the distribution system.

Morally, I don’t have any issues with the retailer charging $20, but (and I say this a serial entrepreneur who has launched and sold multiple businesses), from a business practice or market development perspective, it’s self-defeating and destructive... hence “these are mostly struggling businesses.”

They are selling them for $20 because that is what they are popping for on ebay. Half the shops probably sold them for cover for a bit before realizing this. Was it pre-selling for $20? Shops get surprised and don't always know what will be hot.trying to guess winds up with 10 extra copies of Batman damned 2. I really doubt shops struggle because of the occasional $20 cover. They are struggling because readership is down because of a million Factors. Nobody is missing this story due to spec, there is the other cover. What benefit do they Gey selling Joe flipper a $20 book for 4? Joe flipper won't spend money on other things out of gratitude.

Edited by the blob

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I always assumed there was too. But ive been looking and asking for 10 years. Never seen one. Never heard of an actual sighting. I need visual confirmation. (And a paypal address)

8 minutes ago, Green said:

and if it keeps people coming back (and it does)

I stopped going to a LCS because he sold all the incentive variants on ebay. I would go in and ask about them and tell him in advance that I would pay ebay rates but he would never keep them in the store and take them home on Tuesday to list. I stopped going there. The store is now closed. Whether that behavior led to decreased profits I do not know but they seem correlated to me.

20 minutes ago, Green said:

A for whatever its worth, since im not contributing to the actual topic at hand, i own a lcs. I sold all my harleys at cover. Chasing whatever book is hot this week feels like a waste of my time and if it keeps people coming back (and it does) because they know im not worried about it, all the better. 

How many did you have on the rack and when did you know it had popped? Did they go to regulars or guys who show up to clean you out whenever there is a hot book? If I had a shop I'd be happy to sell them at cover to my regulars, offer the B cover to file customers who ordered A, etc., not so happy to the guy who shows up when I open on Wed every 5 or 6 weeks to clean me out of the hot books.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:
1 hour ago, Green said:

A for whatever its worth, since im not contributing to the actual topic at hand, i own a lcs. I sold all my harleys at cover. Chasing whatever book is hot this week feels like a waste of my time and if it keeps people coming back (and it does) because they know im not worried about it, all the better. 

How many did you have on the rack and when did you know it had popped? Did they go to regulars or guys who show up to clean you out whenever there is a hot book? If I had a shop I'd be happy to sell them at cover to my regulars, offer the B cover to file customers who ordered A, etc., not so happy to the guy who shows up when I open on Wed every 5 or 6 weeks to clean me out of the hot books.

I think he was pretty clear on what he said. Its been awhile since I have seen this boardie, but I know he has owned shop for quite awhile and does know the market.

2 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I think he was pretty clear on what he said. Its been awhile since I have seen this boardie, but I know he has owned shop for quite awhile and does know the market.

Huh? I am not doubting he has a shop, just wondering how many copies we are talking about. As for knowing the market, this stuff is hour to hour. If you are scrambling around on new book day maybe you aren't on the interweb. A couple of months ago there were 4 flippable books that came out in one day.. The deadpool garbage pail, the creepy wonder woman cover b, the dematina deathstroke, and the horror themed Batman calvacade book.could have been others, I dunno. That stuff happened quick. Now maybe this stuff is getting hyped a couple of days before and a shop owner can figure this out, but I wonder.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Not very many. I dont overorder or speculate on anything from diamond. I mainly just fill my subs, grab a few shelf copies and keep it movin. My customers know that i dont play that market and usually lmk on tues whats up. In this instance tho a good friend (that i met here on the boards many moons ago told me before i opened) I dont know who bought them as i typically dont run the counter. I let my customers subscribe to b covers or whatever variants they want so long as they order whatever min number needs to be met at FOC. I have attracted/groomed some pretty savvy modern buyers so most of them already had copies (or multiple copies)in their boxes.

Edited by Green

On 1/2/2019 at 7:35 PM, Doohickamabob said:

Funny, the guy is now completely contradicting his story. First it was one story, now it's a revised story. First it's a valid tracking and item sent; now it's an invalid tracking and shipping level was never created.  Bizarre. I've never been given the run-around like this before. The entire thing is suspicious. Of course, again, if the seller makes it right and does the right thing, I'll gladly admit that I overreacted and was wrong.

Okay, gotta follow up on this wondercc transaction.  I got ahead of things and assumed the worst because the transaction was going so poorly. (It was a low-value transaction but I was happy to find the comic, and disappointed that the transaction seemed to be going wrong.)

The seller did make a number of mistakes. Since he apparently has a history of backing out of sales (at least that's what people were saying a few years ago), I thought it was probably that, but now it seems more like sloppiness.

Edited by Doohickamabob

4 minutes ago, Doohickamabob said:

Okay, gotta follow up on this wondercc transaction. First, I got ahead of things and assumed the worst because the transaction was going so poorly. (It was a low-value transaction but I was happy to find the comic, and disappointed that the transaction seemed to be going wrong.)

2 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

In Donny Cates news (because there is always Cates news), he has indicaed a desire to work on a Machine Man comic which sent his first appearance in 2001 a Space Odyssey flying off the shelf.  He later talked about some interest in writing Dracula, Blade and/or Moon Night for Marvel. In a conversation with fans on twitter he asked for suggestions about Moon Night arcs to read indicaitng that many fans had expressed interest in him writing the character.  He was also asked about him working on Blade and responded that if you knew him personally you would know that he will ultimately write Dracula for Marvel (must be a bucket list character for him).  Personally I really enjoy all of those titles and would be happy to see Cates on any one or all three of them in the future.  

1st appearance of Blade in TOD #10 is still relatively cheap compared to most other movie-related Marvel BA keys. There is still time to pick up a few copies........ :whistle:

28 minutes ago, kimik said:

1st appearance of Blade in TOD #10 is still relatively cheap compared to most other movie-related Marvel BA keys. There is still time to pick up a few copies........ :whistle:

I think all of TOD's and Undervalued and Cates bump or Not..pick them upwith Morbius movie coming out might spell for a TOD reboot or MCU Marvel TV series.  I for one Loved the Original Run and Consider that and Frankenstein Monster some of the Best Books Art and Writing,) from I know Cates is Great, but Tall order is Wolfman and Conways Masterpieces.  Honestly I look forward to it.  

Edited by Jaydee