Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
104 104

49,406 posts in this topic

19,400 posts
4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think one of the questions here is whether there is a large crossover of fans that collect/pay a premium for books and those that care about gender politics. My hunch is there isn't a huge crossover (which would explain the lack of value), but that could be wrong.

Then again, books like this might be sought after like those mentioned in SOTI.

Someone is trying to get a $20 a pop for them (not the DC universe ones, of which there seem to be plenty too) on ebay (and not succeeding), but everyone else is at $2 or $3. While it is an issue that has gone well outside the comics scene, seems like a topic Fanboys aren't going to throw their money at given that they probably think it is a dumb issue and feminists aren't out their collecting the book to get pissed off at it. If the book was truly offensive with the fridge and an arm sticking out on the cover, then it might have a shot at living in infamy and being a $20 book.

2,041 posts
6 minutes ago, the blob said:

Someone is trying to get a $20 a pop for them (not the DC universe ones, of which there seem to be plenty too) on ebay (and not succeeding), but everyone else is at $2 or $3. While it is an issue that has gone well outside the comics scene, seems like a topic Fanboys aren't going to throw their money at given that they probably think it is a dumb issue and feminists aren't out their collecting the book to get pissed off at it. If the book was truly offensive with the fridge and an arm sticking out on the cover, then it might have a shot at living in infamy and being a $20 book.

If/when CGC puts "women in refridgerator," "comicsgate" or something to that effect on the label - that book suddently becomes collectable.  Time will tell, but I think this issue is important in much the same way the bludgening of Jason Todd to death is, or Batman: Damned #1 is important to comic history.   If collectors are anything they are archievests and this is why we are seeing all the excitement about Walmart Superman #7.  Collecting comics is really about preserving and sharing popular culture, art and stories.  I believe that these events are going to be increasingly important to collectors as the years turn into decades, but only time will tell. B|    

19,400 posts
1 minute ago, Nico Esq said:

If/when CGC puts "women in refridgerator," "comicsgate" or something to that effect on the label - that book suddently becomes collectable.  Time will tell, but I think this issue is important in much the same way the bludgening of Jason Todd to death is, or Batman: Damned #1 is important to comic history.   If collectors are anything they are archievests and this is why we are seeing all the excitement about Walmart Superman #7.  Collecting comics is really about preserving and sharing popular culture, art and stories.  I believe that these events are going to be increasingly important to collectors as the years turn into decades, but only time will tell. B|    

Sure, when CGC stars putting it on the label maybe they will care. If the book had been recalled or banned in Wyoming (all 3 copies getting pulled off the shelves), then they might care.

19,400 posts

Needless to say, at a total cost of $5-$9 after shipping on ebay I am not going there. I'll buy them in the cheap boxes in the wild, but I buy GLs around that era anyway from the cheap-o box.

4,676 posts
22 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

Batman: Damned #1 is important to comic history

:roflmao:

7,394 posts

There are like 5 pages on eBay full of giant superman #7's .... There is a glut now and I don't think it'll survive...

Granted I bought 1 copy, but I don't have a lot of confidence....

39,633 posts
9 hours ago, the blob said:

Someone is trying to get a $20 a pop for them (not the DC universe ones, of which there seem to be plenty too) on ebay

I don't think this is that farfetched (:

19,400 posts
8 minutes ago, divad said:

I don't think this is that farfetched (:

When 20 others have them at $3-4 it is silly. They aren't claimed to be 9.9s or anything.

2,869 posts
6 hours ago, the blob said:

When 20 others have them at $3-4 it is silly. They aren't claimed to be 9.9s or anything.

Someone following the boards, I'm sure

7,137 posts
17 hours ago, the blob said:

Needless to say, at a total cost of $5-$9 after shipping on ebay I am not going there. I'll buy them in the cheap boxes in the wild, but I buy GLs around that era anyway from the cheap-o box.

I pick them up for $0.50 - $1 whenever I see them, which is the price I'd recommend to anyone buying them. No reason to spend more at this point. 

18,011 posts

I agree all grab the dcu variant in NM but other then that all pass I see the book everywhere.

As far as Batman Damned goes as soon it was announced it was oversized I was done with it.

Edited by fastballspecial

19,400 posts
8 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree all grab the dcu variant in NM but other then that all pass I see the book everywhere.

As far as Batman Damned goes as soon. As soon it was announced it was oversized I was done with it.

48-51 are everywhere too, but they sell nicely, particularly as a set

28,277 posts
11 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

... as soon it was announced it was oversized I was done with it.

hm

7,137 posts
25 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:
11 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

hm

I think, "that's what she said" are the words you are looking for.

1Q41.gif 

Edited by awakeintheashes

18,011 posts
46 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:
12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

hm

This is just payback for me in John's sales thread this week. lol

39,633 posts
2 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

I think, "that's what she said" are the words you are looking for.

1Q41.gif 

And that's why he's called THE BATman . . . :baiting:

6,772 posts

Kevin Smith made a comment recently that "It would be cool if WB made a Batman Beyond movie with Michael Keaton as elder Bruce Wayne."  - I am paraphrasing but I noticed that Batman Beyond 1 has doubled in price for CGC 9.8 issues since December/November :facepalm:

18,011 posts

So lets reflect on last year a bit.
Give me your top 3 sellers from Modern and Copper last year or a mixture.

Mine(Of the top of my head)
The Rejected - I sold 8 or 9 copies for $30-50 a piece. 
Young Avengers 1 - $25-60 a copy 7 copies
Captain Marvel 1 - 10 copies $35-50 a copy .

Copper
Power Pack 1 - Dozen copies for $10-15 
Shogun Warriors 1 - $10-20 a book 10 copies
Stan Lee Meets 1-5 Set - $35-80 a set 7 sets