• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

See I look at things differently. UF4 was EXACTLY like pp 1 in terms of price. A 200 book in 9.8 and 10-15 raw for many years. To me that always shows longevity. And sure enough the movie dropped and it took off, more so as a raw. Also bear in mind that UF4 has a variant which would make it a little riskier to hold back then, but I was a believer and held until it got to 50.. I started liquidating then and had enough inventory to hold till it got to 75. Plenty of inventory. That's the same rule I apply to PP1. It's a 170-200 9.8er. And 10 or less currently for a raw nm. Which is why I'm holding. That book will NEVER drop below its current price because of its status, age, and.. well.. spec prospects. The fact that it's a first appearance with no other variants and a 35 year old book makes it a sure thing for me. I can pretty much sell anytime at 10$, but it just might go higher in which case I would surely sell then

Wait, you're holding Power Pack over Miles Morales? ???

It's not that there aren't plenty out there. It's the age old rule of supply and demand. I don't see any reason for demand of Power Pack looking into the future besides a uptick on a movie or show being made. Miles on the other hand, IMO, has very long term potential. Similar to the NM 98 effect.

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Wait, you're holding Power Pack over Miles Morales? ???

It's not that there aren't plenty out there. It's the age old rule of supply and demand. I don't see any reason for demand of Power Pack looking into the future besides a uptick on a movie or show being made. Miles on the other hand, IMO, has very long term potential. Similar to the NM 98 effect.

Wait, you're predicting a spec won't work by proving another did? ???

do u have some sort of a working formula you could share with us?

its all speculation. A year or 2 ago youd get into a heated debate over whether Marvel will ever get Miles to have a movie. Even when the first rumor was out a raw would sell for 15-20 at most. Plenty of sellers dumped at these prices. Even up until a couple of months ago there was a seller moving well over a 100 copies for 40 a pop. Clearly, not many thought this would be a 70-100 raw book. And over what? An animated movie?

a Power Pack spec is as credible, if not more, based on all the things I outlined above. Of course you don't agree with it. But that doesn't mean it won't happen

11 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Wait, you're predicting a spec won't work by proving another did? ???

do u have some sort of a working formula you could share with us?

its all speculation. A year or 2 ago youd get into a heated debate over whether Marvel will ever get Miles to have a movie. Even when the first rumor was out a raw would sell for 15-20 at most. Plenty of sellers dumped at these prices. Even up until a couple of months ago there was a seller moving well over a 100 copies for 40 a pop. Clearly, not many thought this would be a 70-100 raw book. And over what? An animated movie?

a Power Pack spec is as credible, if not more, based on all the things I outlined above. Of course you don't agree with it. But that doesn't mean it won't happen

Right, I'm saying long term. Deadpool took a decade to get anywhere close to what Miles has done in 5 years. A "new" look at the most popular character that Marvel has that appeals to the newer generations. And then we can get into the inclusion differences between the two properties.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

Right, I'm saying long term. Deadpool took a decade to get anywhere close to what Miles has done in 5 years. A "new" look at the most popular character that Marvel has that appeals to the newer generations. And then we can get into the inclusion differences between the two properties.

In addition to that. youre also suggesting that no spec has ever cooled off after it took off?

why are you comparing miles to deadpool?

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

In addition to that. youre also suggesting that no spec has ever cooled off after it took off?

why are you comparing miles to deadpool?

Because of what I'm calling the Deadpool effect. There are many on here that will say NM 98 could be pulled out of a $1 bin for a long time. Same with UF #4. I've pulled big stacks for $1 years ago. Sold most to J Silver Janet I believe for about $10 a pop thinking I could get them again for $1 down the line. The same as NM 98 many years ago. I see UF 4 to be on the same path. It will go up, not come down.

I could find a $10 bill down the road (pun intended) that doesnt mean im gonna wait till i find it to invest it in a $10 share.

Again, a spec has no rules, and no formula. In fact, most people who invested in properties that others rejected were getting better profit margins, because not many had stocked up on those because they were "not credible"

Shang Chi wasnt credible, Eternals werent credible, Miles wasnt credible.... Many many others werent

Power Pack is just another spec

6 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I could find a $10 bill down the road (pun intended) that doesnt mean im gonna wait till i find it to invest it in a $10 share.

Again, a spec has no rules, and no formula. In fact, most people who invested in properties that others rejected were getting better profit margins, because not many had stocked up on those because they were "not credible"

Shang Chi wasnt credible, Eternals werent credible, Miles wasnt credible.... Many many others werent

Eternals and Miles are tied into a bigger connected universe with established characters. Many people have been speculating on Eternals for a long time now as the end of the Thanos era was impending. I'll give you Shang Chi.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Eternals and Miles are tied into a bigger connected universe with established characters. Many people have been speculating on Eternals for a long time now as the end of the Thanos era was impending. I'll give you Shang Chi.

I had just about given up on eternals ever doing anything. I remember my father buying TWO copies of #1 at a show in 1977 for us thinking as #1s they might be worth something one day and 40 years later they were still worthless (dad didn't know anything about comics..he bought two copies of ASM Annual #1 thinking it was ASM #1...)..I bought them when I saw them for $1-$2 for years... But I remember last show I went to (NYCC in 2017) passing on mid-grade copies in $2 boxes...oh well

2 hours ago, the blob said:
3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I had just about given up on eternals ever doing anything. I remember my father buying TWO copies of #1 at a show in 1977 for us thinking as #1s they might be worth something one day and 40 years later they were still worthless (dad didn't know anything about comics..he bought two copies of ASM Annual #1 thinking it was ASM #1...)..I bought them when I saw them for $1-$2 for years... But I remember last show I went to (NYCC in 2017) passing on mid-grade copies in $2 boxes...oh well

Ive bought every copy of the 1970s Eternals run I can find for the last 2 years at any show I am at. I am still actively buying them.

I have stockpiled 30 cent variants, and all the key issues especially Sersi. That series is going make some collectors some very good coin.
Up until last month I was still pulling out high grade copies for $1 to $2 at shows.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:
4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

He can have Shang Chi. All take the others.

4 hours ago, the blob said:

"Shogun Warriors 1 - $10-20 a book 10 copies"

Really? Title looks dead on ebay. I used to get $7-10 a pop for nice copies, but that stopped, so I stopped trying to sell them.

The grade and the seller matters. I have no issues selling high grade copies of that issue. 9.6 is really hard for me to find so 
when I find them I do ask a slight premium for them. 

Keep in mind this over the last year. 

Edited by fastballspecial

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Im just giving you random examples.. of course you know there are a million others... Again, my point is NOT to give an example, cause nothing is set in stone when you spec on a book.

My whole point was that to sell a book at a low profit defeats the whole point of specing to begin with.

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Oh no I was just still using the PP 1 example. I sold a couple of miles thru the year but not volume I am still holding several.

I sold 30+ dazzler #1 last year at 10 a pop... 10+ alpha flight #1 at 10 a pop... the list goes on and on...

Those are random books i got for dirt cheap and flipped with no regrets...

I wouldnt call them hot picks just because I can ALWAYS sell them (and will in the future) at that price

Power pack never heated up. Right now it belongs to the same group of books I listed above. The only difference is, there is STILL an active spec rumor attached to it. There always has been. Its also a 1st appearance. and also a VERY sought after book.

Im not stuck on PP, in fact, its exactly the opposite, I think its weird to call it a hot book at this point. Thats all