• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kimik said:

That was the gist of it. As cool as I think the Sears Turok #1 cover is, there is no way to move that many copies. The longs of Unity issues and common books like Rai #9 would have had to be tossed in the garbage.

I did pay the premium of 3 for $1 on the couple of longs of remaining pre-unity and retailer incentive books, though.........

3 for $1 on pre-Unity and retailer incentives is a no-brainer. Even the worst of those should move for $20 in lots of 20, regardless of issue.

3 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

While rarity (how few of something), doesn't automatically equal scarcity (rarity < desirability), the comparable rarity of a generally desirable cameo appearance (e..g, 1st Darkseid, CM 17 2nd print) generally means that this book is more desirable than the first full appearance.  So it is surprising that 684 is selling better than the 682 2nd print and the even more rare 682 1:25 variant.  

Ok, I couldn't gather where you were going with the Comichron numbers. I was attributing the better sales for #684 because of the full appearance of the Immortal Hulk versus the cameo appearance in #682.

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

Yeah, you could dump everything but the "at least 200 Spawn #1" and you'd have been in good shape at $500. hm

Ya that story doesn't make much sense, just show up the day before the garbage or recycling is due and cart all his stuff to the curb.  You don't even have to bring the mess home with you....Then load up the 200 Spawns into your car....

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

Yeah, you could dump everything but the "at least 200 Spawn #1" and you'd have been in good shape at $500. hm

at the time i wouldnt spend even $100 on 200 spawn 1.. there were plenty at dollar boxes and zero demand... couple that with the fact that at that time (4 years ago) I wouldve gotten bronze/silver collections for $500.. like... almost weekly

I looked at that load and thought to myself ugh... good luck with the sucker that will pick those up

What never ceases to amaze me in this business is how quickly people forget what a desired book was worth yesterday. I passed along hundreds and hundreds of spawn #1s in dollar boxes. Actually I didn't even have to leave my desk to find one for a dollar or less as they were always readily available for that amount right online. If I told someone even 2 years ago that I bought a 100 spawns for investment purposes I would get all sorts of dirty looks 

I'm still curious how Spider-Man Reign #1 hasn't really heated up post 2006 ~

Is there any data on how many issues of the two originally variants after the unofficial recall are about? 46k units, but how many were recalled? http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2006/2006-12.html

Edited by Bart Allen

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

What never ceases to amaze me in this business is how quickly people forget what a desired book was worth yesterday. I passed along hundreds and hundreds of spawn #1s in dollar boxes. Actually I didn't even have to leave my desk to find one for a dollar or less as they were always readily available for that amount right online. If I told someone even 2 years ago that I bought a 100 spawns for investment purposes I would get all sorts of dirty looks 

Yeah, it was definitely depressed for a long time. 

I bought them at a $1 a pop for awhile, then dumped a bunch in a bigger collection.  

On a occasion, I still snag them for cheap from the less knowledgeable crowd (non-comic book conventions where someone brings comics).

Patrick

3 minutes ago, wikked said:

What are the chances of Immortal Hulk making it to a solo movie someday? Or Netflix/Hulu/etc... I don't get this hype at all.

Huge red flags on this one for me.

With a bunch of these Marvel actors retiring their capes and so many companies looking for content, I think the newer characters have chances to get into the future movies. Same for DC (movies/shows). Not at all saying it will happen for this one, but I think its what is driving a lot of this. You look at even properties outside Marvel making it to Netflix, Hulu and others starting to popup. Content is being grabbed up. Is it really worth anything? Probably not.

It will be interesting to see what happens if these newer characters get into ensemble movies, solo movies, shows and so on, but dont do anything. Then, they resurrect the classics (Cap, Ironman, Wolvie and so on). If so, you'll see a crash hard. A lot of this stuff is inflated for sure. Every once in a while something might hit and could be a long termer, but it will probably be rare. Personally, I think the Batman Who Laughs could be one that lasts, but it will depend on if they can get him into some movies/shows.

5 hours ago, wikked said:

What are the chances of Immortal Hulk making it to a solo movie someday? Or Netflix/Hulu/etc... I don't get this hype at all.

The current run would make an awesome series 

5 hours ago, wikked said:

Have you read any of the issues? The writer has Hulk doing all kinds of macabre things in this series. Eating the face off one his opponents, being completely dismembered yet still alive and able to reincorporate himself, he cracked Thor's skull and punched She-Hulk so hard she flew 2 miles away. Back to Bruce Banner being on the run and only being able to turn into the Hulk at night. Readers are eating this stuff up.

1 hour ago, kairos70 said:

Have you read any of the issues? The writer has Hulk doing all kinds of macabre things in this series. Eating the face off one his opponents, being completely dismembered yet still alive and able to reincorporate himself, he cracked Thor's skull and punched She-Hulk so hard she flew 2 miles away. Back to Bruce Banner being on the run and only being able to turn into the Hulk at night. Readers are eating this stuff up.

Exactly.. it's in my pull box because I'm   in  it for the story that keeps getting better and better.. Then in addition to that, the fight scenes are mint... have hulk grabbing an opponent by one eye socket in one panel, another eye socket in the next, and then ripping them into two pieces via said sockets. ..  Totally awesome.. Not been a bad issue in the run yet.   

The fact the values are going up is the cherry on top with this book.. 

15 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

You should have tried walking into dozens of comic shops around the country in the late 1990s and early 2000s asking for Valiant. lol