• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2019 at 12:20 PM, Jaydee said:

giphy.gif

@Jaydogrules  You Chose a SPECIFIC Book and said it is fake.  I asked How do you know this one is.  You are calling out the seller.  Bay seller or Not....Canadian or Not.   How do you know THAT book is fake

I don't know the dude, but his selling record looks pretty good. (:

Well i dont know anyone on here personally, nor do i have a horse in this race, but i do know a few years ago an ebay user did contact me with a proposition to buy about 10 or so black venom error comics.  When i asked how he acquired them after talking about how great a character venom was to us gro3qing up, he did confide in me that he knew a gentleman/collector who did indeed successfully remove the red chrome and had sent a bunch of them to cgc to be graded over the years.  All came back legit error comics, though he had made them.  The guy did show me pics of the 10 or so that he was going to sell me but i was turned off by how they werent legit errors.  With that said, id love to hear if anyone on here had tried removing the chrome and succeeded.

7 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I got to listen to several dealers talk about the industry among themselves and how it was going for them as Friday are slower.
Most were very positive with the current market. Everyone express the fear of variants killing the over market in the near future.
Many fear the "card collector" mentality has invaded our hobby now like a plague. (Their words not mine.)

Another comic shop on the way home closed. I used to stop by there when I was in their town for the last 10+ years. They sold out 
to some kids that are running a card shop hated to see that.

So I am probably just completely clueless, but what do you/did they mean by "card collector" mentality invading our hobby?

9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I love how some dealers are now creative in pricing. $1 books, $3 books and 4 for $10 and so on. I spent an hour+ at one dealer
because of this. And then went and bought a wall book or two from them just because of it.

This has been my price model for years, $5 each 5 for $20 also

Am I a trendsetter? :acclaim: 

1 hour ago, Key Largo Comics said:

So I am probably just completely clueless, but what do you/did they mean by "card collector" mentality invading our hobby?

Their sins are many, but their market is dependant on artificial rarity.  Most collectors dont build sets, they only want the rookie cards (usually short printed) and "special" ones (signed, numbered, piece of jersey, color variants, and combinations therein).  It's not uncommon to see someone open packs, put the special cards in top loads, and throw out the rest.  Every company makes multiple sets, and each set has it's own batch of special cards, so to make them more special, they number them to make them rarer. It's to the point where there are sets where every card is a special, and you pay hundreds of dollars per pack.  Obviously, the common specials become worthless, and people chase after the really special specials.

11 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Their sins are many, but their market is dependant on artificial rarity.  Most collectors dont build sets, they only want the rookie cards (usually short printed) and "special" ones (signed, numbered, piece of jersey, color variants, and combinations therein).  It's not uncommon to see someone open packs, put the special cards in top loads, and throw out the rest.  Every company makes multiple sets, and each set has it's own batch of special cards, so to make them more special, they number them to make them rarer. It's to the point where there are sets where every card is a special, and you pay hundreds of dollars per pack.  Obviously, the common specials become worthless, and people chase after the really special specials.

Thanks for that explanation. Makes sense.

2 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:
9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I got to listen to several dealers talk about the industry among themselves and how it was going for them as Friday are slower.
Most were very positive with the current market. Everyone express the fear of variants killing the over market in the near future.
Many fear the "card collector" mentality has invaded our hobby now like a plague. (Their words not mine.)

Another comic shop on the way home closed. I used to stop by there when I was in their town for the last 10+ years. They sold out 
to some kids that are running a card shop hated to see that.

Well I can only guess, but most of these dealers are older then me and were around in the 90s the last time card collectors entered the hobby. I am assuming that's what they were talking about. There isn't a lot of love for card dealers/hobbiests in our hobby from older collectors. Their viewpoint of our hobby isn't the same and rubs some the wrong way and I can understand that after seeing how some treat them at shows lately. 

Edited by fastballspecial

27 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

That right there is probably a better explanation then I could have given. 

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Well I can only guess, but most of these dealers are older then me and were around in the 90s the last time card collectors entered the hobby. I am assuming that's what they were talking about. There isn't a lot of love for card dealers/hobbiests in our hobby from older collectors. Their viewpoint of our hobby isn't the same and rubs some the wrong way and I can understand that after seeing how some treat them at shows lately.

A great market report...and people are still talking about blow drying comics?:baiting:

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:
32 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

That right there is probably a better explanation then I could have given. 

I think what is troublesome for me is the collusion between websites, publishers and online selling sites now. We have a couple of websites wanting to be the new online Wizard (Which that part I am fine with.), but at the same time colluding with publishers, sellers, and writers. Its such a slimy collaboration that seems doomed in the long run one way or another. 

Fanboy #6 from DC Comics, published in 1999... an auction just finished over $240 for a 9.8.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fanboy-6-CGC-9-8-Aragones-Spiegle-Jimenez-Comic-Book-Fan-Finster-Wonder-Woman/303097378162?hash=item469202f572:g:kD8AAOSwf-Bci-dS

I dropped out of the bidding at around $150, and was astonished that it went even that high.

My guess is that the Bolland Wonder Woman crowd was in a feeding frenzy...

11 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

Well i dont know anyone on here personally, nor do i have a horse in this race, but i do know a few years ago an ebay user did contact me with a proposition to buy about 10 or so black venom error comics.  When i asked how he acquired them after talking about how great a character venom was to us gro3qing up, he did confide in me that he knew a gentleman/collector who did indeed successfully remove the red chrome and had sent a bunch of them to cgc to be graded over the years.  All came back legit error comics, though he had made them.  The guy did show me pics of the 10 or so that he was going to sell me but i was turned off by how they werent legit errors.  With that said, id love to hear if anyone on here had tried removing the chrome and succeeded.

I knew someone who did it to at least about a half dozen copies as well and had them graded.  He probably ruined a dozen or so other copies at the same time. I think it is easier to do with some copies than others, depending on how the well the glue was originally applied and to what extent it has degraded over the years. I personally have never tried it and I never would, as I find it unethical.  To @RockMyAmadeus point, no one ever said the Ebay seller himself faked the copy he sold, he may have bought it that way himself.  Back to my original (and final) comment on the matter, I don't know why CGC grades these because it is simply impossible to tell which ones were legitimate "manufacturing errors" and which ones were homemade years later.  

-J.

53 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

To @RockMyAmadeus point, no one ever said the Ebay seller himself faked the copy he sold, he may have bought it that way himself. 

You're confusing respondents. I didn't say anything about the example you linked being one that the seller faked. I said you pointed at it as an example of one that is faked. Whether the seller did it or not isn't relevant; merely making the accusation can do him or her damage.

It's really simple: If that example is faked, then you should be able to replicate it.

To counter-anecdote @rckstr1253, I've heard of people faking these for decades. I even HAVE a faked copy...but it's not faked in the way we're discussing here. People were talking about faking these from the day they were discovered. Yet, in 26 years, I have yet to see a compelling example that would fool the experts. "I know a guy who knew a guy" isn't proof. It's not really even evidence.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

I personally have never tried it and I never would, as I find it unethical

Then you don't know what you're talking about, and are merely assuming.

Foil is not applied the way you think it is. 

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I don't know why CGC grades these because it is simply impossible to tell which ones were legitimate "manufacturing errors" and which ones were homemade years later. 

Because CGC disagrees with your opinion.

4 hours ago, Brock said:

Fanboy #6 from DC Comics, published in 1999... an auction just finished over $240 for a 9.8.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fanboy-6-CGC-9-8-Aragones-Spiegle-Jimenez-Comic-Book-Fan-Finster-Wonder-Woman/303097378162?hash=item469202f572:g:kD8AAOSwf-Bci-dS

I dropped out of the bidding at around $150, and was astonished that it went even that high.

My guess is that the Bolland Wonder Woman crowd was in a feeding frenzy...

Wowsers.

39 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Then you don't know what you're talking about, and are merely assuming.

Because CGC disagrees with your opinion.

Given that CGC has graded known faked copies, I would say their "opinion" is beyond debatable and buyer beware on that book (as it has been for two decades now). Lol

Peace out playa!  (thumbsu

-J.

6 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I think it is easier to do with some copies than others, depending on how the well the glue was originally applied and to what extent it has degraded over the years.

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Ugh.

Semantics. Get over yourself.  

Okay, WHATEVER "adhesive" was used during the embossing process to make the original books. 

-J.

The book isn't embossed.

Again if you're entirely unfamiliar with the book, the process used to make it, and the process to "create" fakes, how can you possibly say, with any degree of certainty, that the example you pointed to is an example of one...?