• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:
2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Those reprints may surprise you down the road. 2nd prints where printed in large amounts. 3rd prints I wouldn't bother 
with because everyone ordered those.

Agree completely.  Those 2nd prints will fetch a nice penny later.  Disagree somewhat on the 3rd prints.  I don't think this is a mainstream title yet....it's off the radar of most still.  3rd prints will do just fine I think.

The print runs will tell us eventually. I think the print runs between the 2nd and 3rd prints will be much closer or even higher then the 2nd print.

7 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

The print runs will tell us eventually. I think the print runs between the 2nd and 3rd prints will be much closer or even higher then the 2nd print.

Oh, I agree.  The third print will be higher than the second print, but the second print was also released well before people started buying up copies of #1 1st print.  The second print was selling for cover or below while the the variant to cover 1 (#1B) was still available for cover at a lot of online shops.  

The word is out now, the above is ancient history and #4 is sold out at the Diamond level.  This title is moving upwards quickly....

2 hours ago, divad said:

Anyone have thoughts about modern books that weren't printed yesterday? lol

Sure find some late issue Sabrina books and you will make a hefty profit. 

Eternals Series from the 80s and 2000s sell great as sets.

Young Avengers 1 is doing well still.

Bat Girl 12 still does very well.

GL 55 Variant is still a $60-100 book.

New Avengers 11 is still holding well at $20-30 book

Marville 5 sells well every time a copy pops up.

Last 5 issue of Tomb Raider V1 are easy sales

2nd print variants are utter :censored: that will damage our hobby.

Any Umbrella Academy book is a complete sell thru

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Ehhhh...maybe Fabian, too. The genesis of the smartarse was there from the beginning. Kelly and McGuinness perfected it.

Maybe. But his smartarseness wasn't all that different from Spider-man's to begin with, I'd say. The breaking of the 4th wall is what made it different enough. (And yes, Byrne did that well before with She-Hulk, but people were too busy with the latest hot artist to care much at that time)

21 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

Liefeld: "No! It's not that affordable book guys, it's this book on my website for $100 a piece." S*pec*u*lat*cke*o*rs <===="who" buys into this trash?  

I like Liefeld too, but that's ridiculous! I was born in 1991 so I didn't get to appreciate/witness the comic crash of the 90s, due to the speculation driven market. That said, today with all the variants/ reprints, and manufactured collectibles, I imagine THIS is how it felt! 

This bubble is going to pop, soon I would think too.

All board! Train leaving HYPETOWN.

Received this email today, April 6. Anybody want to pick it apart?

Doc1.jpg

Liefeld had copies at ECCC, He also tweeted something about only getting part of the order and not the full order a few days ago, and since ECCC was only a few days after the release of Spider-Man / Deadpool #47 you'd have to assume Liefeld received his copies first.

Edited by Jimmy Linguini

3 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Liefeld had copies at ECCC, He also tweeted something about only getting part of the order and not the full order a few days ago, and since ECCC was only a few days after the release of Spider-Man / Deadpool #47 you'd have to assume Liefeld received his copies first.

Yes, you would think. But it's Liefeld, and he's gotta feed his ego / hype machine. He probably blocked 50 people this week.

18 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Sure find some late issue Sabrina books and you will make a hefty profit. 

Eternals Series from the 80s and 2000s sell great as sets.[SOLD]

Young Avengers 1 is doing well still.[SOLD]

Bat Girl 12 still does very well.[SOLD]

GL 55 Variant is still a $60-100 book.[NO GOTS]

New Avengers 11 is still holding well at $20-30 book[SOLD]

Marville 5 sells well every time a copy pops up.[NO GOTS]

Last 5 issue of Tomb Raider V1 are easy sales hm

2nd print variants are utter :censored: that will damage our hobby. [AGREED :sick:]

Any Umbrella Academy book is a complete sell thru

Thanks, but . . . 

On 4/5/2019 at 3:44 PM, maidenmate91 said:

Liefeld: "No! It's not that affordable book guys, it's this book on my website for $100 a piece." S*pec*u*lat*cke*o*rs <===="who" buys into this trash?  

I like Liefeld too, but that's ridiculous! I was born in 1991 so I didn't get to appreciate/witness the comic crash of the 90s, due to the speculation driven market. That said, today with all the variants/ reprints, and manufactured collectibles, I imagine THIS is how it felt! 

This bubble is going to pop, soon I would think too.

These things did not help in the 90s, but it really crashed under the weight of 7 digitesque print runs for a host of books. 5, 10, 15 copies of a book per actual collector. The same thing that happened with sports cards. So, nowadays, rather than a glut (and millions of dollars tied up on inventory that would never sell... See, e.g., turok 1... That bankrupted dealers) the hobby is subjected to an endless stream of manufactured rarities. Possibly a glut in itself even if individually we are talking about 5k print run books. But I think variant overstock is easier to absorb than excess palettes of an individual book. On the other hand, so much new material is quickly worth 1/2 or less of its wholesale price. In 1991, relegating overstock to a 50 cent box almost covered the cost of the book. A dollar box today does not.

Edited by the blob