Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
113 113

50,522 posts in this topic

802 posts

I snagged a Y The Last Man #4 out of a dollar box yesterday, and was surprised to find that a number of recent ebay sales were in the $25 to $35 range.

It also seemed that #2, #3 and #5 were edging up, though prices vary. I knew #1 was climbing, but had not picked up on these.

It also struck me in looking at completed sales that while there are many Y trades available, and a few slabbed copies, there are not many raw copies.

Does this suggest that supply is fairly limited?  Could this drive prices fairly rapidly as the TV show develops?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,522 posts
8 minutes ago, Brock said:

I snagged a Y The Last Man #4 out of a dollar box yesterday, and was surprised to find that a number of recent ebay sales were in the $25 to $35 range.

It also seemed that #2, #3 and #5 were edging up, though prices vary. I knew #1 was climbing, but had not picked up on these.

It also struck me in looking at completed sales that while there are many Y trades available, and a few slabbed copies, there are not many raw copies.

Does this suggest that supply is fairly limited?  Could this drive prices fairly rapidly as the TV show develops?

I've not had a hard time finding copies (#1 is a bit tougher).  I just think people are storing or holding books right now to see how things go with the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,734 posts

All those new comic book speculating sites are like super villains and the CGC board is the masked crusader. Each time a new one surfaces and captures the innocent lemming attention, CGC wears its cape and flies off to fight crime!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,926 posts
1 hour ago, Brock said:

I snagged a Y The Last Man #4 out of a dollar box yesterday, and was surprised to find that a number of recent ebay sales were in the $25 to $35 range.

It also seemed that #2, #3 and #5 were edging up, though prices vary. I knew #1 was climbing, but had not picked up on these.

It also struck me in looking at completed sales that while there are many Y trades available, and a few slabbed copies, there are not many raw copies.

Does this suggest that supply is fairly limited?  Could this drive prices fairly rapidly as the TV show develops?

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I've not had a hard time finding copies (#1 is a bit tougher).  I just think people are storing or holding books right now to see how things go with the show.

Show was supposed to be airing on FX soon. Was rumored to have just been cancelled.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,522 posts
31 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Show was supposed to be airing on FX soon. Was rumored to have just been cancelled.

 

The show runners were fired but it's still a go for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,926 posts
15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

The show runners were fired but it's still a go for next year.

Thanks, just read a Bleeding Stool article which of course is usually around 40% truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,969 posts
Posted (edited)

What's really odd is the difference in price between cover a and b of naomi 1.

I backed the wrong horse and bought quite a few cover b. Win some lose some. 

I still like it better lol.

Edited by fastballspecial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
529 posts
50 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

What's really odd is the difference in price between cover a and b of naomi 1.

I backed the wrong horse and bought quite a few cover b. Win some lose some. 

I still like it better lol.

I agree. i have both covers but the variant is nicer and i think the variant will take off soon.  I would bet that there are less printings of the variant than the normal cover, especially with 2nd printings and more being done with the normal cover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,926 posts
1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

What's really odd is the difference in price between cover a and b of naomi 1.

I backed the wrong horse and bought quite a few cover b. Win some lose some. 

I still like it better lol.

12 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

I agree. i have both covers but the variant is nicer and i think the variant will take off soon.  I would bet that there are less printings of the variant than the normal cover, especially with 2nd printings and more being done with the normal cover

The variant was the one that started the price creep. It was selling for $50 until everyone caught on and listed their copies. There is no doubt there are less copies of it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
529 posts
3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The variant was the one that started the price creep. It was selling for $50 until everyone caught on and listed their copies. There is no doubt there are less copies of it.

 

Thanks for the info....i wasnt paying attention to naomi until i heard about the craze for cover a.  I still love the variant and the story is pretty good.  Im all in on this character, not to speculate on, but to see where she takes the dc universe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
499 posts

Personally, I prefer the A cover to Naomi #1, but just slightly. What makes it more surprising to me though (the difference in price) is that I would imagine there were fewer Bs ordered than the main cover. However, when it comes to the DC A/B covers, some B covers seem to be more plentiful (like when Artgerm does a B variant).

A few weeks ago, I said I'd not sell a Naomi #1 until it hit $50. Then it hit $50, and I said "when it hits $70"... now I'm not so sure if I'll even sell if it hits $100 raw. Just call it a hunch, I think this is a true modern key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,099 posts
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, BishopT said:

Personally, I prefer the A cover to Naomi #1, but just slightly. What makes it more surprising to me though (the difference in price) is that I would imagine there were fewer Bs ordered than the main cover. However, when it comes to the DC A/B covers, some B covers seem to be more plentiful (like when Artgerm does a B variant).

A few weeks ago, I said I'd not sell a Naomi #1 until it hit $50. Then it hit $50, and I said "when it hits $70"... now I'm not so sure if I'll even sell if it hits $100 raw. Just call it a hunch, I think this is a true modern key.

Same thing with Teen Titans 12 (1st Batman Who Laughs) ... I anticipated that the B cover was going to be the "it" book, but it sells for 1/2 what the A cover sells for.  I think this demonstrates to some degree who is buying these books at these prices and their level of experience.  I get that the A cover of Naomi is the better artwork and that the A cover of the TT book depicts the BWL, but historically we've seen shorter print run variants see prices that far exceeded A covers regardless of the factors that these two books have going for them.  It's an interesting phenomenon and certainly something that keeps the hobby exciting for me.  I kind of like it when I don't see a trend coming.  It reminds me that I'm always a student of the comic game.  :preach:

 

Edited by Nico Esq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
499 posts
6 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

Same thing with Teen Titans 12 (1st Batman Who Laughs) ... I anticipated that the B cover was going to be the it book, but it sells for 1/2 what the A cover sells for.  I think this demonstrates to some degree who is buying these books at these prices and there level of experience.  I get that the A cover of Naomi is the better artwork and that the A cover of the TT book depicts the BWL, but historically we've seen shorter print run variants see prices that far exceeded A covers regardless of the factors that these two books have going for them.  It's an interesting phenomenon and certainly something that keeps the hobby exciting for me.  I kind of like it when I don't see a trend coming.  It reminds me that I'm always a student of the comic game.  :preach:

 

As well with Thanos #13 (Cosmic Ghost Rider)... I got the 1:10 variant and it sells for half of what the regular cover does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,099 posts
7 minutes ago, BishopT said:

As well with Thanos #13 (Cosmic Ghost Rider)... I got the 1:10 variant and it sells for half of what the regular cover does.

AND it is a sweet Moebius cover! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,365 posts
6 minutes ago, BishopT said:

As well with Thanos #13 (Cosmic Ghost Rider)... I got the 1:10 variant and it sells for half of what the regular cover does.

In that books defense, the Albuquerque variant is the one to have. it's a variant and doesn't have Cosmic Ghost Rider on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
499 posts

That Albuquerque is a beast, and has always been. Far out of the realm of my purchasing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,365 posts
20 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

Same thing with Teen Titans 12 (1st Batman Who Laughs) ... I anticipated that the B cover was going to be the "it" book, but it sells for 1/2 what the A cover sells for.  I think this demonstrates to some degree who is buying these books at these prices and their level of experience.  I get that the A cover of Naomi is the better artwork and that the A cover of the TT book depicts the BWL, but historically we've seen shorter print run variants see prices that far exceeded A covers regardless of the factors that these two books have going for them.  It's an interesting phenomenon and certainly something that keeps the hobby exciting for me.  I kind of like it when I don't see a trend coming.  It reminds me that I'm always a student of the comic game.  :preach:

 

Do we know the print run on the B cover of TT12? I remember when it came out, everyone was buying that one up. I bought a bunch of A covers since BMWL was actually on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,365 posts

Also, ability to grade is somewhat taken into account. For example, I think the TT12 A cover is much harder to get in 9.8 than B cover. Of my B covers, almost all came back 9.8. I only got a few 9.8 of TT12 A. The others were 9.6 and 9.4's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
499 posts

And then you think about the lenticular Thanos #13, you would assume it's lower print than the others but I don't know. It sells for what, $15 on a good day? Admittedly, it's a hideous cover and the lenticular covers Marvel put out at that time are of poor quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
113 113