• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2019 at 9:01 PM, eddly said:

Thought I made a good purchase this week buying 3 Naomi #1s... but turns out they are reprints!!! Argh...

And those reprints are selling for around $25 each on eBay now lol.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:58 AM, ygogolak said:

If you are talking about Key Collect then say that. If you are talking about the former G+ groups or Facebook, no, they do not have any financial interest. If they have a website they have to put out good information to get the clicks they want to monetize it. If they don't put out good info. people will stop visiting them.

How are you supposed to discuss market changes without being accused of impropriety?

How have you been around this long and are still this naive? 

The people that promote themselves as sources of comic book speculation or investing and spend hours and hours sharing information publicly about comic books and the prices they command on the secondary market, while at the same time spending very little time talking about the characters, stories, or creators, are only sharing this information to make money. I guess this is somehow not obvious?

Whether they are doing this to fund their hobby or just to make money whatever its all good. The issue is when financial interests are not disclosed upfront, denied when asked, and when the information provided is knowingly false or unknowingly false but never corrected when made aware of it. The particular groups that do this know that they are doing it and have played dumb, lied, or shifted blame elsewhere when the topic is raised because there is no oversight within this hobby.  

You are making a massive assumption when stating that the information provided needs to be good or that people will stop visiting these sites. Most of the information can be complete as long as new information is regularly provided. The infrequent good calls can be amplified easily enough while the losses are dismissed. These people aren't beholden to anyone, they have very little financial exposure, and little to no competition. There is very little incentive to get it right. I've said it before and I'll say it again - this board moves tremendously slow at times despite its size and the popularity of CGC. That is because board users (most of them anyway) really have no reason to post unless something comes up that actually merits discussion. We aren't trying to conjure up demand for something just by talking about it out of the blue.

Claiming that these groups have no financial interests is absurd. You can ignore ad revenue altogether, the financial interest lies in the books themselves and all the extras attached to speculating on them - pressing, grading, and autograph services. Storefront fees, a percentage of storefront sales. Merchandise. Exclusive variants. Partnerships with retailers. Early access to books or information. Raffles. 

For years you have insisted on carrying the water for others in the comics community who have correctly been publicly and repeatedly taken to task for doing things that range from shady to illegal. Why you choose to battle with fastball, who is one of the nicest forum users and arguably the most open of anyone about his financial position regarding the books he discusses, of all people about this I have no idea.  

On 4/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, Brother J said:

I had a somewhat similar experience as there definitely was some pre-release hype on the Death of Superman. A local shop was offering pulls of all the issues leading into Superman #75. I ordered a set. They did not ask anyone to pre-pay. I remember going in hoping to get my books and was told they decided not to hold the books for anyone, and all the books leading into and Superman #75 itself were already jacked up in price the week it came out. Needless to say, I didn't go there after that and they quickly went out of business once the balloon popped. My Dad bought into the hype and bought a couple copies of Superman #75 black bag for me for $30 each or so. I'll never sell those books, not because I'll never get the money back, but because it meant a lot that he went out and bought those books for me. Those were crazy times and I do see a lot of the same thing nowadays.

Sorry to keep going off topic, but another thing that is reminding me of the last speculator boom and bust is stores asking over cover price for books that just came out. A shop that I have been buying from quite a bit here does a live pre-sale on Facebook of the new books on Tuesday night. There were at least four examples of books being priced well over cover that just came out this week. Probably most ridiculous was the Sonic #0 book that came out. Apparently it was supposed to be a free book before FCBD. Now, no big deal charging for it because I know the shops have to pay for them. I could understanding asking cost or even a little more, but they were charging $3 a pop. I bought nothing from them this week, but did place an order of several books with mycomicshop, as they had all the books I wanted at cover. We often hear support your local comic shop, but it's kind of hard to do when they seem to be going for a cash grab on new stuff that should be cover.

Edited by Brother J

11 hours ago, Brother J said:

Sorry to keep going off topic, but another thing that is reminding me of the last speculator boom and bust is stores asking over cover price for books that just came out. A shop that I have been buying from quite a bit here does a live pre-sale on Facebook of the new books on Tuesday night. There were at least four examples of books being priced well over cover that just came out this week. Probably most ridiculous was the Sonic #0 book that came out. Apparently it was supposed to be a free book before FCBD. Now, no big deal charging for it because I know the shops have to pay for them. I could understanding asking cost or even a little more, but they were charging $3 a pop. I bought nothing from them this week, but did place an order of several books with mycomicshop, as they had all the books I wanted at cover. We often hear support your local comic shop, but it's kind of hard to do when they seem to be going for a cash grab on new stuff that should be cover.

Maybe they aren't doing it for all books, but MyComicShop started grading brand new books and charging on a scale accordingly. Midtown went through a spell where they were charging eBay pricing the week before release and limiting anything selling to one per customer. I see that has already subsided some as they probably realize they aren't selling as much now.

14 hours ago, Brother J said:

I tune in to that seller's Tuesday night Facebook pre-sale as well. I have bought a couple books from them but mostly I just observe to get a feeling for what new books are moving.

Not only do they jack up some books way over cover ($10-15 bucks in some cases) but even their "cover price" is $5.00 on non-hot books.

I watch people eat their books up hand over fist and shake my head. I can go get those right now at Midtown for $3.39 with cheaper shipping.

Oh well I guess it's working for them so who am I to say anything. They obviously have a good thing going. Just kind of puzzles me.

41 minutes ago, Key Largo Comics said:

I tune in to that seller's Tuesday night Facebook pre-sale as well. I have bought a couple books from them but mostly I just observe to get a feeling for what new books are moving.

Not only do they jack up some books way over cover ($10-15 bucks in some cases) but even their "cover price" is $5.00 on non-hot books.

I watch people eat their books up hand over fist and shake my head. I can go get those right now at Midtown for $3.39 with cheaper shipping.

Oh well I guess it's working for them so who am I to say anything. They obviously have a good thing going. Just kind of puzzles me.

I wonder if it's the same seller. I would imagine that there may be more than one shop doing pre-sales on Tuesday. I didn't want to mention them by name as I don't want to hurt their business. This shop also does auctions on Saturday and I'm also surprised by some of the prices they get on books that I would frequently pass by in dollar bins. I guess the secret is generating a "fan base" who don't mind paying more when they buy from you. 

9 hours ago, Brother J said:
9 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

I wonder if it's the same seller. I would imagine that there may be more than one shop doing pre-sales on Tuesday. I didn't want to mention them by name as I don't want to hurt their business. This shop also does auctions on Saturday and I'm also surprised by some of the prices they get on books that I would frequently pass by in dollar bins. I guess the secret is generating a "fan base" who don't mind paying more when they buy from you. 

They also go giveaways to attract buyers and once they buy one book it makes it more attractive to buy more. 
This does work for some even some boardies are doing this and more power to them if they can make consistent earnings off it.
The sellers that bug me are the ones that only want friend payments which ironically has hurt them down the road with paypal anyway.

Edited by fastballspecial

25 minutes ago, Iqc23 said:

Do anyone know how many copies was printed for Thanos 15 4th print and the virgin cover? Thanks 

Of course. Nobody who's going to reveal that information, but yes.

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

The sellers that bug me are the ones that only want friend payments which ironically has hurt them down the road with paypal anyway.

If people think this place is bad, go check out Instagram. Huge $ books and the sellers want Friends and Family only.

Other gear-grinding (specific to IG): Adding the hashtag #comicsforsale and a). when asked, the book is not for sale or b). the price is best offer. If you want to sell the book, set a price.

7 minutes ago, manetteska said:

If people think this place is bad, go check out Instagram. Huge $ books and the sellers want Friends and Family only.

Other gear-grinding (specific to IG): Adding the hashtag #comicsforsale and a). when asked, the book is not for sale or b). the price is best offer. If you want to sell the book, set a price.

Inundate those people with low-ball offers until they get the hint

10 hours ago, Iqc23 said:

Do anyone know how many copies was printed for Thanos 15 4th print and the virgin cover? Thanks 

10 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Of course. Nobody who's going to reveal that information, but yes.

This is me begging the group not to start a long tirade about the failures of comicchron, the inaccuracies of print run estimates and the veracity of asserted print runs from retailers regarding their "store variants" ... please don't do it. 

Image result for south park please don't do it