• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2019 at 2:55 PM, valiantman said:

I'll take those Harbinger #1 and Batman Adventures #12 off your hands for $1, since they're worthless. lol

Two books out of an era? Yeah, that makes the entire speculator boom and bust okay and because of those TWO comics, then I shouldn't refer to it as the Fool's Gold Age? Yeah, that doesn't make up for the huge crash. How many golds and platinums, hologram covers, die-cut covers and retailer variants from that era -- that people went nuts over and speculated on that ended up being dumped into 50 cent bins -- are even worth much at all these days?

How many comic shops opened and then closed during that time?

Marvel's bankruptcy, Tekno Comics stores popping up in malls and then being closed down not long afterward, Valiant's sale to Acclaim and demise and so many more things that happened during that time really overshadow those two books. ;)

12 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Two books out of an era? Yeah, that makes the entire speculator boom and bust okay and because of those TWO comics, then I shouldn't refer to it as the Fool's Gold Age? Yeah, that doesn't make up for the huge crash. How many golds and platinums, hologram covers, die-cut covers and retailer variants from that era -- that people went nuts over and speculated on that ended up being dumped into 50 cent bins -- are even worth much at all these days?

Marvel's bankruptcy, Tekno Comics stores popping up in malls and then being closed down not long afterward, Valiant's sale to Acclaim and demise and so many more things that happened during that time really overshadow those two books. ;)

IMG_5232.GIF.25b6750caa84910e1097dfaccc37cb7f.GIF

12 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

There's no doubt that 1992-1997 was "the crash" following "the highest peak" but that's a six year window.  Pick any "peak/crash" combination in any industry and looking back you can say "man, people were dumb" but there were people who didn't get caught up in it, people who didn't lose any money, people who never bought into the "dumbness" of die-cut hologram $50 gold variant comics printed the month before.

Compare that to the insanity of $1,000+ comics printed in just the past few years, super-rare-just-watch-it-will-never-fall-in-price-what-do-you-mean-the-artist-just-made-one-even-rarer-I-spent-all-my-rent-money-on-the-last-one-he-did and I think "Fool's Gold Age" is far more applicable today.

18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There's no doubt that 1992-1997 was "the crash" following "the highest peak" but that's a six year window. 

Compare that to the insanity of $1,000+ comics printed in just the past few years, super-rare-just-watch-it-will-never-fall-in-price-what-do-you-mean-the-artist-just-made-one-even-rarer-I-spent-all-my-rent-money-on-the-last-one-he-did and I think "Fool's Gold Age" is far more applicable today.

I would say it was Fool's Gold phase 1 after the boom times of 1990 (McFarlane then Image then Valiant craze) to 1993 market crash and bankrupt comic/sports card shops and comic distributors.

gufYz1M.jpg

Fool's Gold phase 2 (or the Variant spec age) is causing half of my LCS's to close :pullhair: the last 3 years. It is overly easy for LCS to pre-order extra copies of all these weekly variant covers (e.g. Artgerm DC or Marvel) and have to discount them 60% below cover price 1 month later, as they have too many long boxes of them to store since every Wed. there are even more variant covers arriving from Diamond Distribution.

3 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

I would say it was Fool's Gold phase 1 after the boom times of 1990 (McFarlane then Image then Valiant craze) to 1993 market crash and bankrupt comic/sports card shops and comic distributors.

gufYz1M.jpg

Fool's Gold phase 2 (or the Variant spec age) is causing half of my LCS's to close :pullhair: the last 3 years. It is overly easy for LCS to pre-order extra copies of all these weekly variant covers (e.g. Artgerm DC or Marvel) and have to discount them 60% below cover price 1 month later, as they have too many long boxes of them to store since every Wed. there are even more variant covers arriving from Diamond Distribution.

If your LCSs are losing money from having to discount inventory that never moved, then I think the issue is the stores' ability to order correctly, not the product being offered. Know the market in your area and what you can move in a month. Maybe kick the order up a tad so you have books for the shelf for the month, but don't overdo it. I don't think it's the variants that are the issue, but rather a slowly dying industry that is putting that off a bit by offering up additional products.

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If your LCSs are losing money from having to discount inventory that never moved, then I think the issue is the stores' ability to order correctly, not the product being offered. Know the market in your area and what you can move in a month. Maybe kick the order up a tad so you have books for the shelf for the month, but don't overdo it. I don't think it's the variants that are the issue, but rather a slowly dying industry that is putting that off a bit by offering up additional products.

Glass is half full I guess. I could argue either way.

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Currently 

Die and Giant Size Defender 3 are doing very well. High Grade GSD3s
are over $100 raw. I am having no issues selling multiple copies of each currently.

Spider-man Deadpool 47 is a still a strong book. I don't get it either.

Walking Dead 191 was an easy $15 sell. I look for WD 192 to be a $10+ book for a few weeks at least.

Spawn 221 is becoming a monster

AOC issues are selling very well due to controversy. If you got them flip them.

Venom 3 continues to chug along upward.

High Grade Atlas comics are being snatched up fast currently.

Again the right Spawn newsstand is gold to a seller.

Inhumans 5 very hot I missed out. :o(

Submariner 1 SA is seeing some heat.

Silver Surfer Dangerous Artifacts has suddenly become a hot book as well.
Multiple BIN sales.

DCBS has Walking Dead 192 relisted, but at $10 each and a limit of 2, so I think that's going to be a ceiling, at least temporarily.

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Currently 

are over $100 raw. I am having no issues selling multiple copies of each currently.

Walking Dead 191 was an easy $15 sell. I look for WD 192 to be a $10+ book for a few weeks at least.

Multiple BIN sales.

Check out the prices on Spawn #174, 175 and #216 as well. They are going for more than #221 now. Insane.

16 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I have this but didnt notice X.  What page?

Spider-man Deadpool 47

Patrick

I believe it's page 3. Major X is right underneath the shark dude falling into the lava. Broad, I know. But hopefully that helps.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:07 PM, fastballspecial said:

Currently 

Multiple BIN sales.

I never saw this cover before, very cool. Thanks for the heads up, I just grabbed a copy. :cloud9: