• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

a friend and I subscribe to the 30/60/90 rule. 

our goal is to move as much of the inventory at 30 days

anything at 60 days needs to be repriced

at 90 days, we need to move on - sell immediately (minimize loss)

Now not everything I buy falls under this rule. But I try to recoup most of my money under this idea. It's easier to buy something if I have the available money/space for it.

I like that rule a lot! Thanks! I do something similar but it is good to have a straightforward rubric (did I use that correctly?) to guide myself.

Just now, Bird said:

I like that rule a lot! Thanks! I do something similar but it is good to have a straightforward rubric (did I use that correctly?) to guide myself.

FYI to you and anyone else - you need to give be 2.5% of all sales as a result of using this business model or a significant discount when I buy your crummy books

yeah I sold a set recently and was glad to be rid of them. Of course now I have Inhumans 4 6 & 7 along with 2 1s but no 5 to be found.

Edited by Bird

It wasn't for a lot of money, and it didn't go for a huge amount, but the 3-issue run of Black Widow in Journey Into Mystery from the late 90s sold when I put that up for sale a while back. I was a little surprised that that sold before the adjacent 3-issue run featuring Shang Chi. All of the final issues of that series had pretty low reported sales numbers.

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Wow, nice sales. 

I loved this series when it came out.  Killer art and a solid story.  

When I culled a lot of my collection years ago, I couldn't give this one up. 

Patrick

On 6/29/2019 at 2:22 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'm already seeing listings for 2nd prints, so anyone who wants to read it will be able to.

And let's not forget that it's available to anyone with a computer the day it comes out.

https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Comics-Presents-2019-6/digital-comic/765161?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC90b3BSZXN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

It would be a lot more attractive to switch to digital if it was a cheaper option than print. The costs can't possible be as much as making and distributing a physical copy.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It would be a lot more attractive to switch to digital if it was a cheaper option than print. The costs can't possible be as much as making and distributing a physical copy.

And then there are the bootleggers who distribute them for free.

Whoever thought it's gonna be a crime to actually buy comics 🙄

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This is true, it's tough to justify paying $3.99 for a digital file when the same $3.99 at a comic shop will get you a physical item that may or may not increase in value. It's the same scenario with video game downloads: why does a download of a new game cost as much as a physical copy? With the physical copy, you can at least trade it in or sell it off down the road once you're done playing.

I believe the answer is: deference to retailers. Comic shops are hanging by a thread as it is. They are the only avenue most publishers have to get their products into people's hands. So, publishers need to maintain that relationship with comic retailers. If they start offering day and date new issue digital comics (to the actual weekly READERS who keep these shops alive) cheaper than comic shops can offer the same physical product, then they're hurting the retailers, which will, in turn, hurt them. So, i get it.

I enjoy reading digital comics, but I don't buy NEW digital comics, for the reasons outlined above. But it's a terrific way to catch up on lots of reading via Marvel Unlimited, Comixology, Humble Bundle, etc. You can usually get issues for 99 cents, or for a monthly fee, etc and still feel like you're getting value. Meanwhile the comic shops aren't being undercut on brand new books. It doesn't make much difference to me that I'm not up to date, because I usually run anywhere from 6 months to two years behind on my reading anyway.