• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I'm describing a slowly deflating market. It won't burst.

The ship began taking on water a few years ago and has been slowly sinking. All the churn does is replace the deckhands with buckets who have been throwing the water overboard. 

I agree with you,or at least I fear the reaper, especially when it comes to today's grading procedures and a lack of concrete prices on particular books.

In comparison it would be like going to a shopping mall and purchasing a pair of true religion Jeans at one store for $175.00 only to go to the store next to it and finding the same pair of Jean's for $55.00.

3 minutes ago, PeterPark said:
1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

That's your indication of crazy?

i have a whole thread dedicated to drek heating up and that's the best examples y'all can find???

...just a recent one.

Which points to a slowly deflating market, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's not sustainable for week-in-and-week-out books like Nowhere Men, Peter Panzerfaust, Nonplayer, Thief of Thieves, Bedlam, Harvest, Fatale, Morning Glories, Saga, Prophet, Walking Dead blowing up. There are a lot more, but those are just off the top of my head.

43 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Plenty of people have seen the movies without getting into the comics.  Before that, the same thing can be said about the cartoons, TV shows, etc.  The difference is that now, the more successful MCU films are giving birth to a group of people who are investing to flip books for max profit.  Couple that with the recent industry trend to print every title with a dozen variant covers.  It's very analogous to what happened in the mid-90's.

I somewhat agree with you in that I'm not trying to make money, but if/when this sort of bubble bursts, it generally takes a few LCSs with it.  That's what I hate to see.

Well, yeah, obviously not everyone that buys a movie ticket then goes to buy the first appearance of Thanos. But you were making the case that the MCU has been driving up prices, which it has. And the MCU appears stronger than ever at the moment. Wether the strength is partially propped up by investors or not doesn't really matter if the MCU is the reason they're investing in the first place, because the MCU isn't going away anytime soon. That was my point.

In general I'd not be worried about the LCS with regards to flippers, they are in much more trouble from digital outlets like Comixology than they are from flippers jumping in and out of the hobby. Also even physical form books like floppies or trades the competition from online retailers who can offer much deeper discounts, and in some cases can have them delivered to your door in a couple hours (Prime) is also a bigger threat than the flippers. Most flipping is happening almost entirely on e-Bay and auction sites anyways these days and doesn't affect a LCS that much. It's a bit different than the 90's when none of that existed and the LCS staying afloat was based entirely on people buying all the X-Force #1's that they ordered when print-runs were in the multi-millions, and in order to do that they'd needed all of their customers to buy multiple copies. 

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

Which points to a slowly deflating market, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's not sustainable for week-in-and-week-out books like Nowhere Men, Peter Panzerfaust, Nonplayer, Thief of Thieves, Bedlam, Harvest, Fatale, Morning Glories, Saga, Prophet, Walking Dead blowing up. There are a lot more, but those are just off the top of my head.

buy 'em all at 10 cents on the dollar!  :takeit:

(as long as you can wait 25 years. . .)

Edited by divad

I forsee a major market crash from illicit market practices much sooner than one caused by spec gambling inflation

Will you please describe these illicit market practices that you believe will cause a major market crash? 

I forsee a major market crash from illicit market practices much sooner than one caused by spec gambling inflation

I do not see a major comic crash being caused by the supply side of the equation.  The keys keep getting gobbled up like candy and the number of even high grade copies seems much less then demand.  Any crash in comics will come from the demand side of the equation. 

5 hours ago, Nico Esq said:
6 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Will you please describe these illicit market practices that you believe will cause a major market crash? 

I agree with the OP sadly. You cant tell me Nico you haven't seen some of these practices. Many of them learned several from the 
card hobby. Heck a fake Hulk 181 showed at my local shop this year slabbed by PGX. Granted it was PGX, but it really surprised me.

27 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

You cant tell me Nico you haven't seen some of these practices. Heck a fake Hulk 181 showed at my local shop this year slabbed by PGX. Granted it was PGX.

How could one tell it was a fake Hulk #181 unless comic was cracked out of PGX slab and owner found a legit #181 cover over a coverless Hulk #180 or 182 with Marvel Value Stamp inside?

4 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

How could one tell it was a fake Hulk #181 unless comic was cracked out of PGX slab and owner found a legit #181 cover over a coverless Hulk #180 or 182 with Marvel Value Stamp inside?

pgx probably put coumterfit on the label, i've seen those before, it might be the poster jwas just surprised that they exist..

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree with the OP sadly. You cant tell me Nico you haven't seen some of these practices. Many of them learned several from the 
card hobby. Heck a fake Hulk 181 showed at my local shop this year slabbed by PGX. Granted it was PGX, but it really surprised me.

Sources, examples? Or is the another one rant in which people are thrown under the bus yet nothing is revealed?

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Sources, examples? Or is the another one rant in which people are thrown under the bus yet nothing is revealed?

Not too sure what you relate to there

We're talking about speculation about market crash. The theories developed in the thread I linked above talk about pending federal investigation in the card industry. That's happening NOW

It further points out that a very credible person who's involved in our very hobby has been slapped several times with charges of market manipulation in the coin industry. 

Its easy to connect the dots here, no need to throw anyone under the bus. This is not an us vs them speculation theory discussion. If the Feds turn their attention to the comic book collection industry we may all suffer from this collectively 

15 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Work has been crazy recently, and I'm not familiar with what exactly is going on with the federal investigation of the sports cards deceptive practices stuff.  However, I am interested in all of this stuff if for no other reason that I vindicate consumers rights in trade practice cases in my day job.  I will make a point to see what I can figure out, evaluate the viability of potential criminal and civil suits in our beloved hobby, and report back with some of my observations.  The other thread is 40 pages and a lot of non-sense.  Does anyone have a citation to the past suits they can share and/or documents they pulled form Pacer or elsewhere?  If so, please DM me.     

32 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Not too sure what you relate to there

We're talking about speculation about market crash. The theories developed in the thread I linked above talk about pending federal investigation in the card industry. That's happening NOW

It further points out that a very credible person who's involved in our very hobby has been slapped several times with charges of market manipulation in the coin industry. 

Its easy to connect the dots here, no need to throw anyone under the bus. This is not an us vs them speculation theory discussion. If the Feds turn their attention to the comic book collection industry we may all suffer from this collectively 

Do you follow cards though? The PSA and PWCC investigation by the federal government has not hurt the prices for either. It's odd to me considering this is what originally tanked PGX.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:51 PM, fufat said:

Pertaining to Thor #1 1st appearance & Thor #2 1st full appearance multiple printings, comichron shows:

10/14 1st print 150,862

11/14 2nd print 10,576

12/14 3rd print didn't make the top 300 aprox. under 5,000

02/15 4th print didn't make the top 300 aprox. under 4,800

11/14 1st print   89,131

12/14 2nd print didn't make the top 300 aprox. under 5,000

03/15 3rd print didn't make the top 300 aprox. under 5,000

Wher do these  final numbers come from for #1 3rd and 4th print. 

I do not doubt but actually have interest. 

Is 4th lower print than 3rd or is this a guess? 

Please more information. 

Edited by Shoomanfoo

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Do you follow cards though? The PSA and PWCC investigation by the federal government has not hurt the prices for either. It's odd to me considering this is what originally tanked PGX.

I dont need to know anything about cards in order to comprehend that an investigation is pending within that industry that relates to practices that are taking place in our hobby as well. Im not saying its gonna happen to CGC, or PGX, or anyone else, I only know it causes reasons of concern.

Did you read the article about Halperin's history?