• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, the blob said:

Does anyone think that my comic shop setting the limit for pricing does not help you? Sure, a lot of the time they are high enough for most everyone else to price below (or compete on higher grade raws), but if they say some book is worth $7... that's probably the top anyone is going to get for that book and, realistically, a lot of the rest of us probably need to price it at $4. true, they don't have everything in stock. Do we have any sense of whether their sales are down? Might people just be going to them for less guess work in terms of grades, etc. than thousands of individual ebay sellers? Fact is, when I price a book I look at completed sales and I look at them. I'm not going to price it anywhere near them if they have it in stock. Of course, that shouldn't change unit volume, but it may impact dollar volume.

I wouldn't say their prices are super high if you compare the actual grades of the books rather than the stated grades of the books.  If I go to a random seller on Ebay, its very likely that the stated grade is an upper limit to what the book actually is.  If they say it is a Fine, it will occasionally be a Fine, but will often be lower.  With MCS, their stated grade is a lower limit to what the book actually is, and it will often be higher.  If they say it is a Fine, it will be at least a Fine, and if you look carefully, you will find some of their Fines that are actually 7.0-7.5s, IMO.  I'm still trying to figure out their grading, tbh.  I've also noticed some weird pricing choices.  I bought a bunch of Sgt Furys and Superboys with Neal Adams covers because they had a bunch of them where the 5.5 would be $3-4.  However, the 6.0s would be like $15.  Sometimes their 2.0 is just a regular 2.0, and sometimes they've been so strict that it is actually a 3.5-4.0 listed as a 2.0.  I feel like I need to look at a lot more scans of their lower grade books than I would at other places, because they often have books listed at lower grades that I actually find acceptable.

I will agree that they are going to be able to get more for a book than most Ebay sellers.  It just isn't nearly as dramatic as comparing the listed raw grades would indicate.

Something that has been interesting for me to look at is their "New in Stock" tab.  They mark stuff on it "sold" when it sells, so you can see what is selling very quickly for them, both in their regular stock and their consignments.  

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

BUT... the book is graded by MYCS, NOT the seller. Too many 'prices' I see sold for on eBay are suspect and grading is almost always an issue unless you're dealing with a regular experienced seller you know you can trust.

When you buy something from MYCS, you get a strictly graded book, unlike ebay where you get god knows what sometimes. 

MYCS, may not be setting the market on a lot of these books, but they ARE gobbling up the market, because they a) advertise like crazy everywhere and continue to expand their customer base, b) made a conscious effort a couple of years ago (maybe a good 7-8 years ago) to strictly grade, and c) BUY, BUY, BUY like crazy.

Add to that d) their packaging is top notch, e) their processing/shipping times have gotten MUCH faster, f) they accept multiple forms of payment and g) the dad has pretty much left the building.

Not everyone has 24 hours a day to spend on this stuff like some of you, and just want an easy place where they can go to get their books and not have the hassle of being hustled, or conned through shill bidding or messing with those Paypal clowns.

Why WOULDN'T someone go there over eBay?

Yup.  You can't compare a MCS 6.0 to an Ebay "Fine" generically.  You really have to look at the actual scans of the books to compare them apples to apples.  MCS grades strictly enough that their raw books often sell for more than a CGC book of the same grade, because they grade tighter than CGC in a lot of instances.  My MCS "7.5" sold for $250 on 9/5.  At the time, that was more than CGC 8.0 money.  I would have graded the book as an 8.0-8.5.  So it got what I considered a strong price for the book, considering that it was raw, but it wasn't crazy out of line.  However, if you just looked at it as a 7.5, it would have been crazy money.

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

BUT... the book is graded by MYCS, NOT the seller. Too many 'prices' I see sold for on eBay are suspect and grading is almost always an issue unless you're dealing with a regular experienced seller you know you can trust.

When you buy something from MYCS, you get a strictly graded book, unlike ebay where you get god knows what sometimes. 

MYCS, may not be setting the market on a lot of these books, but they ARE gobbling up the market, because they a) advertise like crazy everywhere and continue to expand their customer base, b) made a conscious effort a couple of years ago (maybe a good 7-8 years ago) to strictly grade, and c) BUY, BUY, BUY like crazy.

Add to that d) their packaging is top notch, e) their processing/shipping times have gotten MUCH faster, f) they accept multiple forms of payment and g) the dad has pretty much left the building.

Not everyone has 24 hours a day to spend on this stuff like some of you, and just want an easy place where they can go to get their books and not have the hassle of being hustled, or conned through shill bidding or messing with those Paypal clowns.

Why WOULDN'T someone go there over eBay?

I'll take a shot at this. I placed an order with MCS's eBay store a while back. They offered free return shipping, so I figured why not; if I was unhappy with the grading, I could return the books. I would sat at least half of the books were overgraded past the point where you could argue that grading is subjective (e.g. busted corner and color-breaking creases on books described as NM). Despite the advertised free return shipping, they didn't cover the cost of getting the books back.

Despite my bad experience, I decided to use them again to pre-order a book that they were offering a good price on. They later ended up cancelling my order (because apparently they didn't bother to learn the ordering conditions for the book before setting their price), and offered me store credit for the purchase price. I didn't see their email at the time, so when I never got my order, I searched through my emails and found out what happened. So I had to waste my time getting a refund on an order that they never filled. I wonder how much money they keep from customers that never catch that. Bunch of thieves.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'll take a shot at this. I placed an order with MCS's eBay store a while back. They offered free return shipping, so I figured why not; if I was unhappy with the grading, I could return the books. I would sat at least half of the books were overgraded past the point where you could argue that grading is subjective (e.g. busted corner and color-breaking creases on books described as NM). Despite the advertised free return shipping, they didn't cover the cost of getting the books back.

What's "a while back?" Many of the issues they had 6-7 years ago, they've made right. 

And why would you order a book of there's through eBay when you can get it cheaper on their website?

Despite my bad experience, I decided to use them again to pre-order a book that they were offering a good price on. They later ended up cancelling my order (because apparently they didn't bother to learn the ordering conditions for the book before setting their price), and offered me store credit for the purchase price. I didn't see their email at the time, so when I never got my order, I searched through my emails and found out what happened. So I had to waste my time getting a refund on an order that they never filled. I wonder how much money they keep from customers that never catch that.

When a book gets super hot overnight and you get 100 orders for 10 copies, someone is getting shorted. If it's some modern, I'm sure it's readily available now for a cheaper price. But no one wants it now to flip do they? That window has passed.

Yes, for flippers, the site may have its inconveniences if someone beats you to the punch.

But blaming them because you missed their e-mail? How is that their fault?

Bunch of thieves.

You're in the minority. For both readers and picky grade people, they're the biggest selection available. For people looking to flip, not so much.

7 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

What's "a while back?" Many of the issues they had 6-7 years ago, they've made right. 

And why would you order a book of there's through eBay when you can get it cheaper on their website?

I don't remember how far back. And eBay offers protections that you can't guarantee you'll have if you purchase from them directly.

8 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

When a book gets super hot overnight and you get 100 orders for 10 copies, someone is getting shorted. If it's some modern, I'm sure it's readily available now for a cheaper price. But no one wants it now to flip do they? That window has passed.

Yes, for flippers, the site may have its inconveniences if someone beats you to the punch.

But blaming them because you missed their e-mail? How is that their fault?

Since you missed the point, the problem was them thinking that it was okay to offer store credit for a purchase that they decided to cancel. I'm not a bank. I don't offer interest-free loans. And even if I had seen the email right away, it was still my burden to get the refund they should have issued immediately, as soon as they decided to cancel my order. You may not consider your time valuable, but I know that mine is. 

4 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

Finally read Venom 20

Cates is clearly going to bring back the Ultimate Universe in general in addition to the “Ultimate Symbiote”

Anyone think this will lead to renewed interest in any of the original Ultimate titles?

hm Good point . . . (but they're too busy discussing MCS at the moment) lol

5 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

Finally read Venom 20

Cates is clearly going to bring back the Ultimate Universe in general in addition to the “Ultimate Symbiote”

Anyone think this will lead to renewed interest in any of the original Ultimate titles?

1 hour ago, divad said:

hm Good point . . . (but they're too busy discussing MCS at the moment) lol

:gossip: already heated up....

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

:gossip: already heated up....

USM 33-36 did yes

My question was- do you see any OTHER books in that universe heating up?

Ultimate Spidey besides those 4 books and Miles stuff has been tumbleweeds for a long time now

6 minutes ago, GLCBrad said:

USM 33-36 did yes

My question was- do you see any OTHER books in that universe heating up?

Ultimate Spidey besides those 4 books and Miles stuff has been tumbleweeds for a long time now

Not sure why Ultimate Spidey would have renewed interest now that Miles is solidified. Maker has been integral for a while to the Venom story but too many Ultimate FF 1s around. Anything else significant in the Ultimate Universe? They are just different iterations / updates on existing characters. Like the Ultimate Taskmaster "look" in the Black Widow movie.

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Despite my bad experience, I decided to use them again to pre-order a book that they were offering a good price on. They later ended up cancelling my order (because apparently they didn't bother to learn the ordering conditions for the book before setting their price), and offered me store credit for the purchase price. I didn't see their email at the time, so when I never got my order, I searched through my emails and found out what happened. So I had to waste my time getting a refund on an order that they never filled. I wonder how much money they keep from customers that never catch that. Bunch of thieves.

I've had great success with MCS. Nonethess, I'd like to offer up this advice for your situation (if not too late): (1) As for them not paying return postage take it up with your credit card company or paypal (if you paid using either method), and state that they breached their agreement. VISA/MC should stand behind you and get you your postage back. Ditto Paypal.  (2) Same for the offer of credit - contact your cc company or Paypal etc and tell them you didn't get what you paid for.

Did you call them on reversing their return postage policy? If so, what was their response? A phone call or e-mail to someone higher up should get you that postage refunded.

Good luck!

6 minutes ago, Frank.Einstein said:

I've had great success with MCS. Nonethess, I'd like to offer up this advice for your situation (if not too late): (1) As for them not paying return postage take it up with your credit card company or paypal (if you paid using either method), and state that they breached their agreement. VISA/MC should stand behind you and get you your postage back. Ditto Paypal.  (2) Same for the offer of credit - contact your cc company or Paypal etc and tell them you didn't get what you paid for.

Did you call them on reversing their return postage policy? If so, what was their response? A phone call or e-mail to someone higher up should get you that postage refunded.

Good luck!

It was a few years ago now and the time to get it fixed wasn't worth the amount.

9 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

As far as mycomicshop setting a selling price limit?

Thank goodness because dealers will rape you with there prices without other buying “options”

...and mcs prices are mostly ridiculous to begin with.  

The consignment stuff mostly. Their regular prices are not terribly different than a lot of ebay store prices. They are not mile high.

"Too many 'prices' I see sold for on eBay are suspect and grading is almost always an issue unless you're dealing with a regular experienced seller you know you can trust."

Actually, the prevalence of poor grading on ebay depresses the prices. Rarely do I see a book go for some crazy number  where it looks like they inflated the grade or, heck, crazy numbers at all raw. Folks bidding on ebay assume an overgrade half the time. 

Edited by the blob

Well, I forgot to complete the sale on my basket of books when they did the 10% off, so I don't have much to say about their grading. I bought 1 book from them, it was advertised as low grade and that was accurate.

I guess my question was that aside from pretty much setting a price ceiling in the market for the stuff they have in stock, do folks here think they have so much of the market that it is genuinely impacting your sales? Of course, this isn't something that would have just happened this month.

10 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

Finally read Venom 20

Honestly I am a little tired of Venom and the super hype machine. I cant be the only one.

I like a lot of Cates stuff, but the constant hyping has gotten old.

3 hours ago, Frank.Einstein said:

Good luck!

I had to return a book to MCS recently ( they missed a clipped coupon ).  They had me print out a return shipping label from their website so I wasn’t out return postage.  

I get the impression from stories that they are a much different business than they were a few years ago.

13 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

I had to return a book to MCS recently ( they missed a clipped coupon ).  They had me print out a return shipping label from their website so I wasn’t out return postage.  

I get the impression from stories that they are a much different business than they were a few years ago.

Yes. Conan has done an amazing job of turning that place into what it is today.