• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, cd4ever said:

And let's face it....All due respect to the late great Jack Kirby.....He's done more for comics than almost anyone. But The Eternals is practically unreadable..

Reading the letters page where fans are 'WTF is this? And when does FF show up?' and Kirby responding 'LOL, this not in the Marvel Universe' passive aggressively is definitely worth reading

Edited by Hekla
clarity

3 hours ago, Hekla said:

Reading the letters page where fans are 'WTF is this? And when does FF show up?' and Kirby responding 'LOL, this not in the Marvel Universe' passive aggressively is definitely worth reading

I’d love to see that

Edited by Aweandlorder

54 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

True, but speculating on comics meant for children is a weak game.

Wasn't most comics pre-1975 meant for children?  Now I know why you concentrate on modern junk

17 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, and Playboy was published for the articles. What section are we in anyway?

I don't have a clue any longer.  Has there been any modern books that have caught fire?  Key Collector is saying Spiderman 76 and Hulk 1 (Red Hulk) are hot but I've not seen a ton of action on either of these.  I did buy a set of Ex-Machina 1 - 50 when the news of a movie came out but I also just wanted to reread that series.

On 1/18/2020 at 7:52 AM, Shoomanfoo said:

I don’t know I paid 45.00 for a Eternals 1 in fine condition when I was on my Kirby collecting.

I was wrong that it’s more than SME but I’m confused about all the Eternals hate.

we must remember our keys where not always keys.

people don’t actually read comics much anymore so if another type of media makes it popular or sought...then it is a new key.

cant be denied as hard as we wish it to not be.

Nobody read Eternals. They got 6 or 8 pages into it. They bought the rest out of respect for Kirby. 

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

True, but speculating on comics meant for children is a weak game.

How’s that a weak game? If you’re flipping the point is to make money. Buy low sell high and the wider variety of books you have the wider base of customers you have. 

40 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

How’s that a weak game? If you’re flipping the point is to make money. Buy low sell high and the wider variety of books you have the wider base of customers you have. 

There are plenty of comics to flip that are mostly geared towards teen+. Flipping something like a Frozen comic is especially weak.

15 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There are plenty of comics to flip that are mostly geared towards teen+. Flipping something like a Frozen comic is especially weak.

I'd flip a book geared to geriatric grandmas if I could make a buck.

I wouldn't be buying up new releases of titles meant for the young ones, but finding a nice Superman Adventures (or Batman Adventures perhaps!) and flipping it hard is fine by me.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Ogie Porterhouse said:

i doubt there are 10 year-olds on ebay buying Frozen comics. What an absolutely dumb thing to say.

and LMAO at trying to classify reselling comics as kicking "game". you nerd.

@ygogogolak. this quote function is weird.

Been around for almost 3 years and you have three posts. Glad I made the cut for your attention.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:47 PM, Aweandlorder said:

I wouldnt know; I own alot of kirby 70s complete runs/books, Sandman, Omac, New Gods, CA 193-214, almost the complete Kamandi series.

Eternals was never on my to read list.

Of course whoever bought heavy on those did great with their investment. No doubt about that. Smart actually

Just not as something I would consider a Kirby must have

If you are just looking at sales, I believe Omac and the 1970s short-lived Sandman sold less than The Eternals.
Omac did not even had an edition here in Italy. The Eternals not only had their own title, but it was magazine-sized, featured as backups Nova, Omega the Unknown, Deathlok, 2001 A Space Odyseey and others and was a very successful title, still much sought after by collectors and readers alike.
Besides this, here you guys are speaking of "flipping", but the best Marvel titles of the 1970s (not "moderns") were not necessarily big sellers. Maybe they sold moderately. Sales are not the sole indicators of quality.
As a kid I liked the Eternals. I also found it quite disturbing (not much as 2001), and the fact that initially it implied such concepts and was not so related to the Marvel universe made it even more striking.

32 minutes ago, vaillant said:

If you are just looking at sales, I believe Omac and the 1970s short-lived Sandman sold less than The Eternals.
Omac did not even had an edition here in Italy. The Eternals not only had their own title, but it was magazine-sized, featured as backups Nova, Omega the Unknown, Deathlok, 2001 A Space Odyseey and others and was a very successful title, still much sought after by collectors and readers alike.
Besides this, here you guys are speaking of "flipping", but the best Marvel titles of the 1970s (not "moderns") were not necessarily big sellers. Maybe they sold moderately. Sales are not the sole indicators of quality.
As a kid I liked the Eternals. I also found it quite disturbing (not much as 2001), and the fact that initially it implied such concepts and was not so related to the Marvel universe made it even more striking.

Thank you for the insight

In America, Eternals was a pretty obscure, and apparently, judging from previous comments, not a well received title