• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

So you're talking about a specific instance that you had. Do you remember when you first started buying comics to sell for profit? You hit a home run each time?

What are you babbling about?

My initial comment was about new people coming into the industry that weren't here a few years ago.  Have you ever sold books at a show?  There are a lot more uninformed buyers of comics now, than there were 3 years ago, and definitely 5-10 years ago.  This is what I'm talking about when people are asking about additional prints on books where there's clearly ever only been a single print - Rai 0. 

Do you buy collections locally where you are?  If you do, you'll notice the competition for collections has increased 5-10 fold.  Are these all people that are staying in comics, or is it a fad for them and they could all evaporate in a year or two?

4 minutes ago, spreads said:

What are you babbling about?

My initial comment was about new people coming into the industry that weren't here a few years ago.  Have you ever sold books at a show?  There are a lot more uninformed buyers of comics now, than there were 3 years ago, and definitely 5-10 years ago.  This is what I'm talking about when people are asking about additional prints on books where there's clearly ever only been a single print - Rai 0. 

Do you buy collections locally where you are?  If you do, you'll notice the competition for collections has increased 5-10 fold.  Are these all people that are staying in comics, or is it a fad for them and they could all evaporate in a year or two?

1. There will always be new people. At least I hope. If not, that means comics will go down in value.

2. Yes, I do sell books at shows. And I try and educate people instead of making fun or turning my nose up at them. If you can be an ally you build trust and with that trust comes money.

3. No, I don't buy collections. Space cost money and collections are littered with comics that you can't even give away.

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

1. There will always be new people. At least I hope. If not, that means comics will go down in value. Check

2. Yes, I do sell books at shows. Nope, Never. And I try and educate people instead of making fun or turning my nose up at them. If you can be an ally you build trust and with that trust comes money. 

3. No, I don't buy collections. Space cost money and collections are littered with comics that you can't even give away. That's a mistake, a miscalculation at best - space has no real cost - it's a fixed cost. 

I respectfully disagree as to point 3. :foryou:

48 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Space base no real cost? Lol

ummmmmmmm 👌🏻

If you can quickly sell the drek in lots, identify space, or are fine with donating the drek, then buying collections is the way to go. Some of my biggest scores have come from buying collections.

Not saying anyone is doing it wrong by not buying collections, everyone has their own formula. But, you are missing out on some real gems by eschewing buying collections altogether. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:

If you can quickly sell the drek in lots, identify space, or are fine with donating the drek, then buying collections is the way to go. Some of my biggest scores have come from buying collections.

Not saying anyone is doing it wrong by not buying collections, everyone has their own formula. But, you are missing out on some real gems by eschewing buying collections altogether. 

Ok this I cannot argue.

Good advice too

9 hours ago, littledoom said:

I have a theory that the market of those who collects comics is 20% and those who strictly read is 80%.. and I think that collectors percentage is going down

Keep in mind this board is smaller microcosm of the hobby in general. A lot of time we think are the center of the hobby when in reality we are actually just a
smaller section that is growing larger.

4 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

For sure. I am not going to spend all day at someone's house looking through thousands of comics. Cheap enough I will buy anything and sometimes there is nothing worth more than $3. Can always make $ but it is work. I read and collect so always something in there for me. And I find you can give away pretty much anything if not sell it. But not fun selling drek. 

I usually go through a couple boxes quickly and looking unimpressed no matter what it is, find out how much they want. Will ask what their price is. If low all good. If high I ask what makes you believe they are worth that much, they will pull out some keys and tell me they are worth cgc 9.8 price, I just ask for price for the rest of the books. Chances are they dont know all the keys. One time guy had 1 key he knew, new mutants 87 told me they go online for 300 bucks or something. It was the 2nd printing copy. 

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Awesome! We need more books like this with weak "1st cameo appearances" to pop thanks to COVID stimulus cheques and no conventions.

Edited by kimik

3 hours ago, kimik said:
4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Awesome! We need more books like this with weak "1st cameo appearances" to pop thanks to COVID stimulus cheques and no conventions.

I didn't even know that was A book . . . (:

4 hours ago, kimik said:

It is a modern mega key. Apparently the 1st cameo appearances of Spider-Gwen and Jane Foster Thor in one book

Not even! It's 2 random kids trick or treating in their costumes. Unless some writer now claims it was the actual characters who just happened to be in same area as deadpool on Halloween walking with all the trick or treaters.

12 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Not even! It's 2 random kids trick or treating in their costumes. Unless some writer now claims it was the actual characters who just happened to be in same area as deadpool on Halloween walking with all the trick or treaters.

I don't think that has been established one way or another actually.  Yes, they are in a group of cosplayers but the characters did not exist at the time so how could they be cosplayed?  Also, it is a three panel appearance and in the last panel Spider-gwen looks right at the reader.  

If anything, I would call it an Easter egg.  But at the very least it is the first appearance of the likeness of both of those characters.  

-J.

9 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I don't think that has been established one way or another actually.  Yes, they are in a group of cosplayers but the characters did not exist at the time so how could they be cosplayed?  Also, it is a three panel appearance and in the last panel Spider-gwen looks right at the reader.  

If anything, I would call it an Easter egg.  But at the very least it is the first appearance of the likeness of both of those characters.  

-J.

What it is, is lame. Why are they walking in costume on Halloween with others in costume? Are they friends? Hey let's go out in our costumes together. Let's not bother to help Hawkeye and deadpool. Like you say. Easter Egg is what it is. I have seen female thors before it became a thing and spider women variables though dont recall any super similar to gwen so the cosplay would be possible for sure. Hopefully it becomes something. I always stock up on cheap drek spec so ready if it does. Just takes a couple spec or rumor sites to reccomend it.