• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

The Eternals 1 needs to be in nice shape for that to work unless there are some others in there. I guess SW 1 is now worth something.

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

The Eternals 1 needs to be in nice shape for that to work unless there are some others in there. I guess SW 1 is now worth something.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-1s-Comic-Lot-500-Wall-Books-KEYS-Darker-Image-Last-Planet-Avengers-Thanos/313034092433?hash=item48e2492f91:g:XBIAAOSwlANedT-R

Ever see this sellers listings? Prices always amaze me. Will have like a spawn 1 asm 362 some books you know but are like $5 books with a bunch of drek. 

On 5/9/2020 at 1:05 PM, ygogolak said:

1. There will always be new people. At least I hope. If not, that means comics will go down in value.

2. Yes, I do sell books at shows. And I try and educate people instead of making fun or turning my nose up at them. If you can be an ally you build trust and with that trust comes money.

3. No, I don't buy collections. Space cost money and collections are littered with comics that you can't even give away.

Every comic sells....at a price....even if you have to bulk something out, worst case some stuff gets given away. 

One thing that comic lot buyers do that the flippers don't is they buy everything.  I will never go and cherry pick books from an individual selling their collection.  In fact today I saw one of 12 longs that was just awful, I didn't even give him a price even though he reeked of desperation.  If he still has it in a few days I'll make him an offer....This collection was 100% picked, I don't know by whom but it damaged goods and very tough to sell because of it....

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I could care less what generation is buying them. This is the best sales month or two I have had in many years. 

You've mentioned that before and I wanted to see if May had been busy for you as April was?  For me it hasn't been, but I just sold a couple big slabs, one to a zero feedback buyer in Belgium that was told the book was a good investment.  No joke!  

Edited by spreads

8 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-1s-Comic-Lot-500-Wall-Books-KEYS-Darker-Image-Last-Planet-Avengers-Thanos/313034092433?hash=item48e2492f91:g:XBIAAOSwlANedT-R

Ever see this sellers listings? Prices always amaze me. Will have like a spawn 1 asm 362 some books you know but are like $5 books with a bunch of drek. 

He is a very, very large and established seller.  Big sellers command good prices from their listings....

4 minutes ago, spreads said:

Every comic sells....at a price....even if you have to bulk something out, worst case some stuff gets given away. 

One thing that comic lot buyers do that the flippers don't is they buy everything.  I will never go and cherry pick books from an individual selling their collection.  In fact today I saw one of 12 longs that was just awful, I didn't even give him a price even though he reeked of desperation.  If he still has it in a few days I'll make him an offer....This collection was 100% picked, I don't know by whom but it damaged goods and very tough to sell because of it....

I seen collections and sellers like that. Told them nothing of value, nothing I collect. I don't want to insult you with a offer. They say make me one, nah I can't, it would be like 20 bucks. I will take it. They can buy some beer or smoked and I get stuck with drek. Could sell it for $500 bucks maybe but not a easy thing not having a store. Lots of sorting, shipping photos. Pain. Sometimes though people spec on thor time police or whatever and I dig out some easy $20 Bill's. 

9 minutes ago, spreads said:

He is a very, very large and established seller.  Big sellers command good prices from their listings....

I know. But I don't know why haha. Happens all the time though. I gotta think comic shops buy those listings but doesn't seem like a great resale return. They always sold good but now best time to sell ever? Pretty crazy. I gotta stop my browsing and get to listing myself. Hard to keep up though. Anything good sells out fast.

8 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I seen collections and sellers like that. Told them nothing of value, nothing I collect. I don't want to insult you with a offer. They say make me one, nah I can't, it would be like 20 bucks. I will take it. They can buy some beer or smoked and I get stuck with drek. Could sell it for $500 bucks maybe but not a easy thing not having a store. Lots of sorting, shipping photos. Pain. Sometimes though people spec on thor time police or whatever and I dig out some easy $20 Bill's. 

Ya, but in this case I was the first guy in the door.  So they won't take a lowball offer and I felt back for the guy, not being able to work due to COVID.  I didn't care enough about the lot to dither with the guy there; I'll see if he gets closer to what he's looking for. 

1 minute ago, Myowncollector said:

I know. But I don't know why haha. Happens all the time though. I gotta think comic shops buy those listings but doesn't seem like a great resale return. They always sold good but now best time to sell ever? Pretty crazy. I gotta stop my browsing and get to listing myself. Hard to keep up though. Anything good sells out fast.

Depends.  I know of a buyer that bought a huge collection off of Porky that all hit 9.6/9.8.  I can't bid on him (based in Canada) but I would like to at times....

31 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

But he's got the first Buckaroo Banzai in there!

I don't think it has to be new buyers in the market buying books. With no new books out, comic addicts have to feed a desire to buy *something*

I sold a small lot of Copper Age Doctor Fate and a couple issues of Battletide this weekend. (Not for a lot, but I didn't think they were worth the cost to ship them.)

11 minutes ago, spreads said:

Ya, but in this case I was the first guy in the door.  So they won't take a lowball offer and I felt back for the guy, not being able to work due to COVID.  I didn't care enough about the lot to dither with the guy there; I'll see if he gets closer to what he's looking for. 

I can't remember not being able to buy a collection. People are responding to my ads though. I dont look for sellers ads. And they aren't knowledgeable collectors. If they are I tell them I am just a comic reader and interested in your "worthless comics" "drek" "readers", would you sell your non cgc books and non keys. If I have to do math and crunch numbers to determine buying the books I am not interested. Tell the guy to take out the ones he thinks are valuable or likes. You just want the cheap junk to read during the covid. 

9 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I don't think it has to be new buyers in the market buying books. With no new books out, comic addicts have to feed a desire to buy *something*

I sold a small lot of Copper Age Doctor Fate and a couple issues of Battletide this weekend. (Not for a lot, but I didn't think they were worth the cost to ship them.)

That too. But I know a lot of people spending the stimulus on comics, games, etc. Just looking at social media even. But you are right. Might be bad for comic shops. People realizing if they just wait a few years they stuff that was $4 a issue  I can now get for under a buck.

42 minutes ago, spreads said:
4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I could care less what generation is buying them. This is the best sales month or two I have had in many years. 

You've mentioned that before and I wanted to see if May had been busy for you as April was?  For me it hasn't been, but I just sold a couple big slabs, one to a zero feedback buyer in Belgium that was told the book was a good investment.  No joke!  

Yes so far for me May has been almost as busy as April, but I am running out of time to list more stuff. After awhile the orders start to pile up and you dont have
time to list new stuff. So I should see a slowdown here in a few days so I can list more stuff. What I like about this so far is for the most part my sales are to comic
buyers and readers more then speculators and I only say that because several sells are huge runs, or great stories, or books that stand out for one reason or 
another, but are not large keys.  I don't sell that many slabs so my sales are mostly high grade raw books which gives me a much wider buying group.

Edited by fastballspecial

25 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes so far for me May has been almost as busy as April, but I am running out of time to list more stuff. After awhile the orders start to pile up and you dont have
time to list new stuff. So I should see a slowdown here in a few days so I can list more stuff. What I like about this so far is for the most part my sales are to comic
buyers and readers more then speculators and I only say that because several sells are huge runs, or great stories, or books that stand out for one reason or 
another, but are not large keys.  I don't sell that many slabs so my sales are mostly high grade raw books which gives me a much wider buying group.

keep digging deeper in your collection you'll find stuff you thought you wanted but would rather sell for $

30 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

That too. But I know a lot of people spending the stimulus on comics, games, etc. Just looking at social media even. But you are right. Might be bad for comic shops. People realizing if they just wait a few years they stuff that was $4 a issue  I can now get for under a buck.

story of my collecting journey. spent several years if not more than a decade buying $2.99-4.99 comics plus tax to realize they can be had for cheaper later down the line.. ended up spending a ton but some became keys so there's that

6 minutes ago, littledoom said:

story of my collecting journey. spent several years if not more than a decade buying $2.99-4.99 comics plus tax to realize they can be had for cheaper later down the line.. ended up spending a ton but some became keys so there's that

Most people gotta have it now. Me I haven't been to a movie in 5 years. I can wait 3 months. I do need to pay some attention to new books being released. But just for reading I will wait till series is canceled and people list while series for sale a buck a issue.

7 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Wow.

I just sold a set of the original Fallen Angels miniseries (X-Fcator spin-off - and yes, sorry, it’s Copper), which seems to me like some kind of violation of the universe’s natural order.

Not a lot of Boom-Boom fans out there...