• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Conacon said:

Thor #2, #4 and #5 are shooting up. Sorry if it's already been mentioned!

#2 was around $80 last night and today it's creeping up to $100! I had one posted at $80 last night and before it sold, I saw one go for almost $125, so I posted one at $125. Then I revised the $80 up to $125 and sold it for $100. 

I'm still picking these up at cover, so I'm happy!

Some areas are Comic deserts. Especially with so many shops either closing down or switching to Gaming and just selling dollar book back stock. 

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

didnt this come out a long time ago? thanos 13 3rd print

Yeah it did. That's why I'm not sure why people are whining about pumping and dumping. I don't remember any of the later printings selling out. Many were on the shelves for weeks. They easily could have been bought for cover price or less. Once the first print went over $100 then collectors went looking for the later printings. 2nd print sell for around $35, 3rd print for around $40 or higher. Some sellers are testing the waters to see if they can get a hundred or more for the 3rd printing. Strange things have been happening with the Cates comics so anything could happen pricewise.

54 minutes ago, Conacon said:

Thor #2, #4 and #5 are shooting up. Sorry if it's already been mentioned!

#2 was around $80 last night and today it's creeping up to $100! I had one posted at $80 last night and before it sold, I saw one go for almost $125, so I posted one at $125. Then I revised the $80 up to $125 and sold it for $100. 

I'm still picking these up at cover, so I'm happy!

why are people paying so much for modern carp.. like who gives a shi... was Killing Joke even a $100 comic when it came out.

2 hours ago, kairos70 said:

Yeah it did. That's why I'm not sure why people are whining about pumping and dumping. I don't remember any of the later printings selling out. Many were on the shelves for weeks. They easily could have been bought for cover price or less. Once the first print went over $100 then collectors went looking for the later printings. 2nd print sell for around $35, 3rd print for around $40 or higher. Some sellers are testing the waters to see if they can get a hundred or more for the 3rd printing. Strange things have been happening with the Cates comics so anything could happen pricewise.

Wow, I didn't realize my post was going to get so much reaction. 

Your post is right-on.  Hell, the asking price for #13 3rd print right now is almost up to $150.  

With virtually no other cheap copies, you wonder if someone will go crazy and pop an offer for $100 or more.  

I call it crazy because it's "hot" with actual sales at $40-45.   

Moral of the story for me, guess it never hurts to peek thru the back issues from time to time.  I'd given up some time ago. 

Found a decent 1st appearance of Modok too (silver) which seems to have caught interest lately. 

Found a 1st appearance of Leader.  Surprised at how little it goes for.  May spring for it as that's a major Hulk villain (if not most important) and he's the primary focus in Ewing's book now. 

Patrick

5 hours ago, kairos70 said:

Some of these writers and artist acquire cult-like followers. FOMO is a MOFO...lol

Agreed! Donny Cates is low hanging fruit. Who else is driving this part of the market right now? 

I also prefer the older books for my collection, but I almost rather them be in less than perfect condition because I leave them laying around the house waiting to be read. 

8 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Didn't Thanos 14 come out before the 3rd printing of 13 anyways?  People are desperate in this market...

According to what I can see #14 came out 27 Dec 2017, cover date Feb 18, and #13 3rd print came out 7 March 18, cover date May 18.

I don’t understand why people get upset because a later printing starts going up in price. Or the hatred of Modern Comics by some. If you don’t like moderns, why are you on the Modern Thread?  I guarantee these newer books are much better reads than those silver age books. I’ve read all the early marvel superhero stuff and it’s almost unreadable. So instead of complaining about these worthless modern books buy and sell them to purchase what you like. 

1 hour ago, Corona smith said:

I don’t understand why people get upset because a later printing starts going up in price. Or the hatred of Modern Comics by some. If you don’t like moderns, why are you on the Modern Thread?  I guarantee these newer books are much better reads than those silver age books. I’ve read all the early marvel superhero stuff and it’s almost unreadable. So instead of complaining about these worthless modern books buy and sell them to purchase what you like. 

Bravo!  Silver age, cooler covers, modern age, better reads.

3 hours ago, Corona smith said:

My take is that it’s not so much the content itself as it is the amount of variants & printings, and the blatant effort of stores & sellers alike pumping books trying to make a quick buck.

19 minutes ago, DTM700 said:

My take is that it’s not so much the content itself as it is the amount of variants & printings, and the blatant effort of stores & sellers alike pumping books trying to make a quick buck.

Spot on.. imagine pumping and dumping silver age comics in the 60s? lol. 

17 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Didn't Thanos 14 come out before the 3rd printing of 13 anyways?  People are desperate in this market...

8 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

According to what I can see #14 came out 27 Dec 2017, cover date Feb 18, and #13 3rd print came out 7 March 18, cover date May 18.

On Sale dates:

Thanos #13 1st Print - Nov. 22, 2017

Thanos #14 1st Print (1st CGR cover) - Dec. 27, 2017

Thanos #13 2nd Print - Jan. 31, 2018

Thanos #13 3rd Print - March 7, 2018

Advance Discussion:

What do y'all think about the BOOM! book: "BRZRKR" being written by Keanu Reeves for release in October? 

I want to like it; but I feel it's going to be weak ... 

The multi-printing thing with alternate covers must drive shop owners nuts, because it annoys me and I don't even buy singles regularly. I cherry pick the things I really enjoy after reading them on Marvel Unlimited or DC Universe. I went to buy a set of singles of Power of X and House of X, wow was it confusing. Granted they made a trade of all of it, but I wanted to get individual issues, but which ones did I want? Just browsing to find the issues was confusing.

Do I get the 5th printing of issue #2? Or the 2nd print of issue 5? Hey, that cover looks cool... $100?! Nope nope nope! 

I ended up just buying whatever was a reasonable price and available. I saw some alternate covers up for $300 on eBay and people are buying. Eesh. I hope they REALLY enjoy that cover, because I bet for a little more they could get the artist to do a commission for them.

6 hours ago, cmixer said:

Advance Discussion:

What do y'all think about the BOOM! book: "BRZRKR" being written by Keanu Reeves for release in October? 

I want to like it; but I feel it's going to be weak ... 

I think there is some opportunity there. How many store variants will there be though, one, two......hundred?

3 hours ago, RhialtoTheMarvellous said:

The multi-printing thing with alternate covers must drive shop owners nuts, because it annoys me and I don't even buy singles regularly. I cherry pick the things I really enjoy after reading them on Marvel Unlimited or DC Universe. I went to buy a set of singles of Power of X and House of X, wow was it confusing. Granted they made a trade of all of it, but I wanted to get individual issues, but which ones did I want? Just browsing to find the issues was confusing.

Do I get the 5th printing of issue #2? Or the 2nd print of issue 5? Hey, that cover looks cool... $100?! Nope nope nope! 

I ended up just buying whatever was a reasonable price and available. I saw some alternate covers up for $300 on eBay and people are buying. Eesh. I hope they REALLY enjoy that cover, because I bet for a little more they could get the artist to do a commission for them.

With the explosion of printed comic prices, so to have original art prices. I would say even exponentially more. A printed cover from a big 2 will set you back $2k from an artist you probably have never heard of. One you have heard of, well a lot more obviously.