• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, kimik said:

This is just like the chromium/retailer incentive craze of the early 90s all over again. The way we played that one was to dump hot moderns and buy older keys (or trade them for older keys). 

What I would give for an affordable Spider-Man McFarlane chromium .. missed the boat a decade ago and are really rare/htf

10 minutes ago, littledoom said:

What I would give for an affordable Spider-Man McFarlane chromium .. missed the boat a decade ago and are really rare/htf

And when the two Spider-man chromium and ASM 300 chromium came out I passed on them since there was really no demand at that time. Remember, that was during the death spiral phase where the industry contracted significantly. At that time we were busy chasing SA and BA keys since they were so cheap. I was just finishing university, and back then a VG copy of X-Men 1, Avengers 1/4, and even TOS 39 was just a $250 - $300 venture. BA keys in 9.0+ were a dime a dozen and were not worth more than a couple to three hundred for NM Hulk 181s or GSX 1s (books like Marvel Spotlight 5 and WWBN 32 were not really anything at that point either). I was buying every SA or BA key I could find locally and flipping them online due to the exchange rate. It ranged from $1.40 - $1.53 CDN:$1 USD back then, so even selling straight across for what you paid at a Canadian LCS was a nice profit.

That was also the time I cleaned out three LCSs of all of their Valiant pre-unity, last issue, and retailer incentive backstock at 3 books for $1.........

Edited by kimik

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

So a reprint of a reprint is going for hundreds of dollars?

:facepalm: If people get any dumber...

Yes my sentiments exactly but I’ll tell ya what...

I pay attention to the trends and this reprint business is a thing...

so I’m going to cash in instead of resist

just seems like the smart thing to do

13 hours ago, littledoom said:

Easiest "no".... All the guys who sold their copies of Clone Wars 1 and Ultimate fallout 4 in the first wave of heat are kicking themselves. If I had those 9.8s.. I would wait for scorching sweltering heat.. right now the pan is only simmering 

I think you're right. I listed one but pulled it down.

9 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

It was featured in Key Collector Hot Keys recently. 

It may have though I’m not aware of anything as I do not follow key collector.

seems to me they were spot on as collectors as myself have found nterest in these printings before they featured and/or without any knowledge of Key Collector.

Honestly this is the only comic site that I follow, read, and contribute.

with that said it’s obvious this key collector just goes by the trends that already are so if you had found out by key collector than you may be a bit late

im not saying you personally just people in general 

Edited by Shoomanfoo

13 minutes ago, manetteska said:

So people buy the 2nd print and then hope Marvel doesn't release a 3rd print (or 4th) as, then, that becomes the "lowest print run" version of the comic?

Sounds fun.

No nobody hopes anything.

Its pretty simple...you buy the later prints as a speculation and hit or miss.

A 3rd print with a lesser print run doesn’t make a 1st or 2nd worthless.

I think people are just trying to put to much thought into this.

you buy what you like...you buy what you spec...you follow the trends...you make some money...you buy some keys

Its not rocket science 

19 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:
36 minutes ago, manetteska said:

So people buy the 2nd print and then hope Marvel doesn't release a 3rd print (or 4th) as, then, that becomes the "lowest print run" version of the comic?

Sounds fun.

No nobody hopes anything.

Its pretty simple...you buy the later prints as a speculation and hit or miss.

A 3rd print with a lesser print run doesn’t make a 1st or 2nd worthless.

I think people are just trying to put to much thought into this.

you buy what you like...you buy what you spec...you follow the trends...you make some money...you buy some keys

Its not rocket science 

You are confusing your buying strategy and the market. Your strategy is sound.

The market not so much if they are looking to buying the lowest print run book and then
the company prints another version. I know this for a fact as some FB groups get pissed
at BOOM from time to time as they print alot of versions and speculators buy the 2nd or
3rd prints and then find out they didnt get the bottom print run.

The print to demand strategy works great for the company not so much for the speculator.
This is not always the case, but is becoming the more the norm.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:
12 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

plenty of time to spare for more bids 

52A3DF58-7492-42FE-8B58-FE39A2397DDD.png

That book is really hard to find too. I think I have only seen one or two copies. That being said
it has to be a different type of buyer to chase that book with that type of money.

But no love for the gamestop edition?

I still have it I think...