• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

It was a feeble given away at comic shops and it’s believed to have low distribution (I suspect Covid related) Features art from the first issue. Thing is. Book was supposed to be released last week but has been pushed back to late October. They are re-doing the art. 

13 minutes ago, littledoom said:

whats the story on this? Was it a freebie? What is it previewing? Anything of importance? 

I only found out about these on Saturday when a store owner asked if I was interested in them and I told him that I didn't care about this two page preview that was oversized and not gradeable and had no clue what it was.

Apparently, he gave away 3 to one of his workers and another two to a customer.  I'm gonna to get one for free from the worker who got three.  The owner has 13 left but hasn't advertised it and I doubt any other store has it.  He definitely didn't get the full 25 and he doesn't remember ordering it. 

2 hours ago, bellrules said:

A copy of the  Last Ronin Ashcan/Preview sold for 300.00 today. 

0D2F649A-A26C-40D8-A945-75EDEBE9C3E4.png

Hmmmm I don't see this on sold listings on the bays.  Highest I see is $171 for a sealed pack of 25.

Edited by Crops068

I saw it last night, too, but it’s not there anymore... huh.

The week this came out I don’t think my local shop got any, but I did find one crammed into my shopping bag from a store sale out of town. Rough shape, and an impractical size... high grade copies might be hard to come by.

12 hours ago, jokiing said:

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 3.34.45 PM.png

That's why I said it was a preview, but the story was an original ~ Does the story being an original jeopardise the claim? I don't think so.

12 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Interesting. When word of this gets to the spec sites, I bet it blows up. 

Exactly!

9 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

I want to agree.... but the difference is quite obvious. The action comics #1 preview pictured below is just a picture of the cover. Meanwhile the static preview has multiple actual panels ripped from static #1. In my honest opinion I consider that a lot more significant. 

You're absolutely right - I just brought it up as that's a popular item to use in the first appearance vs. preview dynamic.

9 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

Anything's possible, but I don't want to annoy and lay on the spec horn too loudly. We will see, either way it's still the first appearance of two characters being revived after 2 decades of absence/minor appearances.  

Exactly!

3 hours ago, BishopT said:

I saw it last night, too, but it’s not there anymore... huh.

The week this came out I don’t think my local shop got any, but I did find one crammed into my shopping bag from a store sale out of town. Rough shape, and an impractical size... high grade copies might be hard to come by.

Same. Went back to look for it and it’s gone. Weird. 

12 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

I want to agree.... but the difference is quite obvious. The action comics #1 preview pictured below is just a picture of the cover. Meanwhile the static preview has multiple actual panels ripped from static #1. In my honest opinion I consider that a lot more significant. 

House ad for Action Comics #1 as published in More Fun Comics #31 (1938).jpeg

That's also what we call an ad, not a preview.

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

That's also what we call an ad, not a preview.

Yes, a preview is a specific type of ad that shows multiple pieces of content that were created for an upcoming issue. Most regular ads only show a single piece, which is most often the cover.

25 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, a preview is a specific type of ad that shows multiple pieces of content that were created for an upcoming issue. Most regular ads only show a single piece, which is most often the cover.

So would you agree there's a certain legitimacy in the claim that Static's first appearance is in Icon #1?

24 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Absolutely not. It's an ad.

How are your feelings on dc comics presents #26? Just wondering, it is technically a preview as well. Although it is a large preview. I personally feel showing actual panels is just a lot different than a typical ad/preview. 

9 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

How are your feelings on dc comics presents #26? Just wondering, it is technically a preview as well. Although it is a large preview. I personally feel showing actual panels is just a lot different than a typical ad/preview. 

It is a stand alone story, featuring the 1st appearance of the New Teen Titans. This story leads into the story in New Teen Titans #1, it is not a preview of the story in New Teen Titans #1.

23 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

It's the teen titans in a comic. No different than any other first appearance. It's the same as Brave and the Bold 200 and that's an established first appearance of a new team of characters too.

6 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

"You'll miss the treat of a lifetime if you fail to buy a copy."
Truth in advertising.

Or 10 or 100 and hold them, then pump and dump.  Imagine grabbing that book off the shelf day of release in 1938?!?

1 hour ago, maidenmate91 said:

It may be called a preview on the cover, but it's actually a unique story that leads into the regular series. It is not an advertisement; it is a story, like any other story in comics.