• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2021 at 10:19 AM, fastballspecial said:

Midwest. For me I have to go farther for inventory. I am envious of Hector and others who live in large cities with abundant inventory.

@manetteska I keep telling Fastball that there are too many sharks in these waters. I find my best stuff in neighboring states

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:
On 1/24/2021 at 10:19 AM, fastballspecial said:

Midwest. For me I have to go farther for inventory. I am envious of Hector and others who live in large cities with abundant inventory.

@manetteska I keep telling Fastball that there are too many sharks in these waters. I find my best stuff in neighboring states

Too many buyers (stores and individuals) and too many sellers with retirement in their eyes.

Time for me to do a large down-sizing but I don't have the time to grade, scan, and list (eBay or other). Didn't know if there was a local who wanted to do some type of commission deal, or if I have to take a drive to MCS.

22 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Time for me to do a large down-sizing but I don't have the time to grade, scan, and list (eBay or other). Didn't know if there was a local who wanted to do some type of commission deal, or if I have to take a drive to MCS.

just blow them out to a local lovable dealer you know :baiting:

41 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Bingo.

Me and the blob are like lost separated brothers

I am hoping for your health you are not a big fattie like me though.

Edited by the blob

9 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Oh the tolls of the big city life with 10 or 20 comics shops in a 30/45 mile radius. 
I don't know how you guys make it. 

Yeah, but finding parking near most of them is a giant PITA!

9 hours ago, the blob said:

Larger city just means more competition scouring for books

I was going to comment on this myself.  I live in Orlando, FL and the buying opportunities here in greater Orlando are pretty dismal.  The big chain here which is Coliseum of Comics has a pretty horrible model as far as finding good inventory.  New books that don't sell get put in just a bag (no board), and placed in the back issue bins at which time the price is raised $.50 for just the bag I guess :frown:.  If a book gets hot, it is quickly snatched out of the box and re-bagged with a board to be put back in the box or on the wall with eBay NM prices, regardless of whether it is anywhere close to being a 9.4.  I have rarely had much luck getting books that are already hot out of any of their locations.  Then you have Acme Comics, a beautiful and massive store very close to me.  They like to eat and have drinks behind the counter as they are processing books for the back issue boxes. I can't tell you how many times I've bought books out of there listed as 9.2/9.4 on the price tag, to then get home and remove a book to find a huge water spot damage or food residue on the BC etc.  Not once or twice mind you, dozens of times.  And the big $1 room they have in the back?  Literally just overflowing with junk that is mid grade at best.  When and if you do find something of some value...."oh that is not supposed to be in there".  Yep, you ain't leaving the store with that.  My better buying experience was by far when I moved to a small city in NH for about 5 years.  The few shops I had within a 5-30 minute drive from me yielded many more hot books for cover price or less with no sales tax to boot.  Aslo, add in all the competition here and it pretty much sucks around me.  I have better luck just sourcing off ebay and other sites, or pre-ordering books for selling, no lie.

Edited by gradejunky

13 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

I was going to comment on this myself.  I live in Orlando, FL and the buying opportunities here in greater Orlando are pretty dismal.  The big chain here which is Coliseum of Comics has a pretty horrible model as far as finding good inventory.  New books that don't sell get put in just a bag (no board), and placed in the back issue bins at which time the price is raised $.50 for just the bag I guess :frown:.  If a book gets hot, it is quickly snatched out of the box and re-bagged with a board to be put back in the box or on the wall with eBay NM prices, regardless of whether it is anywhere close to being a 9.4.  I have rarely had much luck getting books that are already hot out of any of their locations.  Then you have Acme Comics, a beautiful and massive store very close to me.  They like to eat and have drinks behind the counter as they are processing books for the back issue boxes. I can't tell you how many times I've bought books out of there listed as 9.2/9.4 on the price tag, to then get home and remove a book to find a huge water spot damage or food residue on the BC etc.  Not once or twice mind you, dozens of times.  And the big $1 room they have in the back?  Literally just overflowing with junk that is mid grade at best.  When and if you do find something of some value...."oh that is not supposed to be in there".  Yep, you ain't leaving the store with that.  My better buying experience was by far when I moved to a small city in NH for about 5 years.  The few shops I had within a 5-30 minute drive from me yielded many more hot books for cover price or less with no sales tax to boot.  Aslo, add in all the competition here and it pretty much sucks around me.  I have better luck just sourcing off ebay and other sites, or pre-ordering books for selling, no lie.

This story reminds me of the time I was calling around to different shops up here in Cleveland, OH. Literally all the shops that I contacted, told me flat out, they do not buy or sell graded comics. I’m just like man my area sucks. 

48 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

@gradejunkyHave you tried BAMF in Maitland? I find my experience there better than ACME and Coliseum frequently. 

2 minutes ago, Podterp said:

@gradejunkyHave you tried BAMF in Maitland? I find my experience there better than ACME and Coliseum frequently. 

I left them out as I was just summing up the main comic outlets around here.  Yes, I have gone to BAMF many times and gotten some decent finds there, but not much as the back issue section is pretty small as you already know.  I actually live about a 10 min drive from there.  Cool shop and owners for sure.

First time posting in this thread, and I hope I don't bring up something that's already been discussed to death, but I had to say something about Marvel Previews 95. Since at least last summer, this book had been routinely selling for $300 raw, being marketed by Ebay sellers as the first image of Miles Morales. I jumped in and sold mine for $300 because I figured people would eventually lose interest in that book and switch back to Ultimate Fallout 4 as Miles's first appearance. But looking at recent sold listings of Marvel Previews 95, there have been sales of RAW copies this month that sold for over $3000. A CGC 9.6 sold for $8000. Obviously, I should've waited, but I don't think I've ever seen a book like this (that hardly anybody even acknowledges) go on a tear like this. I really don't know how I feel about it. It seems crazy to me. But could this be a trend that lasts? I ask that question simply because of the obscene amounts people have paid for this book within the last month.

7 minutes ago, Pat Thomas said:

First time posting in this thread, and I hope I don't bring up something that's already been discussed to death, but I had to say something about Marvel Previews 95. Since at least last summer, this book had been routinely selling for $300 raw, being marketed by Ebay sellers as the first image of Miles Morales. I jumped in and sold mine for $300 because I figured people would eventually lose interest in that book and switch back to Ultimate Fallout 4 as Miles's first appearance. But looking at recent sold listings of Marvel Previews 95, there have been sales of RAW copies this month that sold for over $3000. A CGC 9.6 sold for $8000. Obviously, I should've waited, but I don't think I've ever seen a book like this (that hardly anybody even acknowledges) go on a tear like this. I really don't know how I feel about it. It seems crazy to me. But could this be a trend that lasts? I ask that question simply because of the obscene amounts people have paid for this book within the last month.

Yep, it's obscene.  I wish I had a couple right now for sure, though.

Edited by gradejunky

2 hours ago, Nazirite said:

This story reminds me of the time I was calling around to different shops up here in Cleveland, OH. Literally all the shops that I contacted, told me flat out, they do not buy or sell graded comics. I’m just like man my area sucks. 

Very few dealers in the Cleveland area even bring slabs to local Cons just because they don't sell very well.  I know of a few big sellers like Bill's Books in Canton who grades quite a bit but they all go up for sale on E-Bay or ComicLink.  I can't remember the last lcs that had slabs on the walls.

3 hours ago, Pat Thomas said:

there are other first appearances of other big time MCU characters getting their own shows in other Marvel Previews.. so if you feel sour you can still recreate that trend in the future

On 12/21/2020 at 12:22 AM, Acegraphix said:

Sad Lemon Comics has some first prints of the main cover right this moment. I just ordered a bunch....not sure how long they will be available.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I just got a text that my order just shipped. Not the below-cover price that you paid, but probably still a good deal (about £5 each).

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I just got a text that my order just shipped. Not the below-cover price that you paid, but probably still a good deal (about £5 each).

No problem. I was happy to see mine shipped as well today. Normally all comics I get from them are 9.6 or better so hopefully that's the case here. I got real lucky to snag that many the night before the price went bonkers.