• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, the blob said:

I feel like even me, a penny pinching miser, has gotten sucked into the madness here. I just paid $160 (shipped) for a CGC 9.8 copy of an early 2000s modern classic cover marvel (won't say which). While I think I got a decent deal, it was on par with recent auction results, but lower than recent BINs. I look at the book, which regularly sells for $50-65 in raw nice shape, and wondered why it is that price in 9.8 when there are"$20 raw" books like MCP 72 that are well into the $300s in 9.8 and $35-50 raw books that are hitting $400-500+ (x-men 282, 244). Admittedly, each of those is a little younger than the book I am looking at, which might impact things. 20 years ago the thought of paying that kind of money for a modern would never cross my mind, but here we are!

Well now you have to tell us! It totally depends on a lot of factors but people have some bias against early 2000s books. The wind will shift again in ten years maybe; 90s books were hated up until now, and Millenials have come back to reclaim their own silver age.

25 minutes ago, brentdevil said:

Well now you have to tell us! It totally depends on a lot of factors but people have some bias against early 2000s books. The wind will shift again in ten years maybe; 90s books were hated up until now, and Millenials have come back to reclaim their own silver age.

actually it is a little later than early 2000s, but not 2010s. i might be buying another one, so I am not going into details just yet.

Edited by the blob

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

actually it is a little later than early 2000s, but not 2010s. i might be buying another one, so I am not going into details just yet.

My guess, Nyx 3.  Could be UF 4, WD 1, or Invincible 1. 

Patrick 

4 hours ago, the blob said:

You're in France, right? Marvel and Image (Spawn at least) have been reporting good U.S. sales in the last 6 or whatever months since lockdowns started easing. Actually, i am pretty sure comic shops here in New York City opened up in June and we were one of the most restrictive (and hardest hit) areas, although there were probably capacity limitations (4 people in a small shop or whatever) and mask requirements (still are). DC seems to be in a lousy situation. They thought they could go the premium pricing larger format route and it seems to not be working. How is it that image managed to keep $2.99 cover prices through all of this?

Yes, I'm in France. The situation hasn't and still isn't easy here as well. Two strict confinements and we are in another semi confinement right now. We have curfew as well since the beginning of the year which means that stores close earlier than usual.

Marvel is doing OK and Image too. The problem is that we don't know what will happen next and I have to try to adjust orders predicting the future here. If there's a lockdown sales go down drastically and I still have a ton of overstock from the first two lockdowns.

This weeks DCs are ridiculous once more. No one cares about Joker #2 for example. It's just another ridiculous first appearance. Luckily a customer is going for the one per store variant which will help a little with the regular covers that won't sell.

I don't get it either, how come that Image and other independent publishers manage to continue releasing single issues at a decent price and trades as well?

Edited by gojira

14 minutes ago, gojira said:

Yes, I'm in France. The situation hasn't and still isn't easy here as well. Two strict confinements and we are in another semi confinement right now. We have curfew as well since the beginning of the year which means that stores close earlier than usual.

Marvel is doing OK and Image too. The problem is that we don't know what will happen next and I have to try to adjust orders predicting the future here. If there's a lockdown sales go down drastically and I still have a ton of overstock from the first two lockdowns.

This weeks DCs are ridiculous once more. No one cares about Joker #2 for example. It's just another ridiculous first appearance. Luckily a customer is going for the one per store variant which will help a little with the regular covers that won't sell.

I don't get it either, how come that Image and other independent publishers manage to continue releasing single issues at a decent price and trades as well?

Noticed the same here for Joker #2.  Heavily ordered here, not well received/purchased.  

Patrick 

4 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Noticed the same here for Joker #2.  Heavily ordered here, not well received/purchased.  

Patrick 

Yes, it's crazy. I just reduced my quantity for issue 3 in the FOC to 25 copies.

26 minutes ago, gojira said:

I think DC thought they could jack up prices with more pages per book? I'll be honest, I haven't looked inside them. Are the $4.99 books regular size?

Don't they realize that with constant re-boots they lose folks?

It isn't like Marvel, etc. haven't had jacked up prices. Secret Invasion was $3.99 13 years ago based on some thick cover stock. But they can get away with it for a special event.

I'd say losing the legacy numbers on these old line titles loses folks each time, but I am not so sure anymore, Marvel does it too.

2 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Maybe you've got the mad hook-ups. 

Patrick

no such luck. i also wouldn't think any of those books should be $250-300 in this market.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

no such luck. i also wouldn't think any of those books should be $250-300 in this market.

Can still find books from the private sector for cheap. 

Paid $10 each for 2 Nyx 3s and another was stupid cheap as the whole long box was $50.

Wasn't during 2020/2021, but the prices were very high for the book when I did. 

Patrick 

8 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Can still find books from the private sector for cheap. 

Paid $10 each for 2 Nyx 3s and another was stupid cheap as the whole long box was $50.

Wasn't during 2020/2021, but the prices were very high for the book when I did. 

Patrick 

Unlike comics found in the raw, people who own slabbed 9.8s usually have a clue as to what they are worth. I'm paying about what the last auction went for, but less than the last few BINs. As a book that has not gone up really since January ( not sure what it was doing in 2020), I see some potential, and Iike the book anyway. I am basically selling a Thundercats 1 raw to buy this slab. Anyway, it isn't a census thing, this book is similar to MCP 72 and less than both X-Men 244 and 282. 

Edited by the blob

41 minutes ago, the blob said:

I think DC thought they could jack up prices with more pages per book? I'll be honest, I haven't looked inside them. Are the $4.99 books regular size?

Don't they realize that with constant re-boots they lose folks?

It isn't like Marvel, etc. haven't had jacked up prices. Secret Invasion was $3.99 13 years ago based on some thick cover stock. But they can get away with it for a special event.

I'd say losing the legacy numbers on these old line titles loses folks each time, but I am not so sure anymore, Marvel does it too.

The $4.99 have a back-up story. But the customers that I have talked to don't care for them.

I don't mind a decent relaunch that much as I usually do well (sales wise) with these but Future State killed DC IMHO. Another Suicide Squad #1? I totally understand that no one buys that book and others like it.

My file store ordered large for Joker 2 and still sold out by mid afternoon yesterday. I guess it depends on your market. They do well with all publishers across the board.

1 minute ago, gojira said:

The $4.99 have a back-up story. But the customers that I have talked to don't care for them.

I don't mind a decent relaunch that much as I usually do well (sales wise) with these but Future State killed DC IMHO. Another Suicide Squad #1? I totally understand that no one buys that book and others like it.

would customers like it if the main story was 48 pages? I am trying to get into the mindset, obviously nobody is buying a stack of $4.99 comics viewing them as potential resale candidates. sure, one might be one day, and a specific issue might get sold out for that reason, but i am ssuming they buy them for the stories and such and out of habit?