• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The official progress on my GL 1 restoration by Kenny thread

249 posts in this topic

I am looking on my 12" laptop screen and it looks almost perfect to me. doh! Remind me never to buy comics on this thing!

What apparent grade would you give the cover, Bill? I know the interior will keep the overall grade down somewhat, but that cover looks near-minty fresh!

It's a terrific looking book and I'm sure it feels spectacular in hand (the work is awesome) but I don't think it would grade that high.

Looks to be in the 6.0 range as there is still a lot of broken paper fibre from looking at the picture.

Good work, Kenny!

I'm only using a 15" laptop screen, gramps.

:baiting:

There is a huge difference between a 15" screen and a 12" screen.

Crackng work!

Are you gonna get the top right hand corner rounded off at all? Also shame the top miscue is so white - it really stands out now.

I'd be tempted to get the white 'toned' down a touch to blend it back in, it was much less noticeable before the work.

I am looking on my 12" laptop screen and it looks almost perfect to me. doh! Remind me never to buy comics on this thing!

What apparent grade would you give the cover, Bill? I know the interior will keep the overall grade down somewhat, but that cover looks near-minty fresh!

It's a terrific looking book and I'm sure it feels spectacular in hand (the work is awesome) but I don't think it would grade that high.

Looks to be in the 6.0 range as there is still a lot of broken paper fibre from looking at the picture.

Good work, Kenny!

Really?

Good work, Kenny!

Really?

A fun calculator where you can plug in various monitor sizes and aspect ratios between two monitors and get a visual comparison of their area.

http://www.displaywars.com/12-inch-16x10-vs-15-inch-16x9

Good work, Kenny!

Really?

A fun calculator where you can plug in various monitor sizes and aspect ratios between two monitors and get a visual comparison of their area.

^^

Crackng work!

Are you gonna get the top right hand corner rounded off at all? Also shame the top miscue is so white - it really stands out now.

I'd be tempted to get the white 'toned' down a touch to blend it back in, it was much less noticeable before the work.

You actually bring up several good points.

The corners will be rounded per Bills preference.( I also prefer a corner that matches the interior)

But if a book is to be subbed to CGC, rounded corners can mean a lesser grade. So every book we fully restore will have sharp corners, and will only be rounded to match an interior if the owner wants them that way.

And the white strip up top...yup it's fugly and stands out alright. The miscut on this book is of epic proportions. I mean, out...of whack!!! So when restoring this book to it's original condition, one does not typically take artistic liberties no matter how weird they may be. That said, once Bill saw the book in person he chose to have us paint the top edge black.

Speaking of whites, the whites look really off in Bills scan, my scans did not show the guys white shirt, or white strip to be so stark. Weird.

And about the creasing keeping the grade down? Yup, I imagine 5.5 is about right. The previous work that was done to this book made it a real pain to work with.

I mean, look at this. I saw it and wanted to run away!

:ohnoez:

7c363d50.jpg

Holy cow! That was the book before???!!!

That is pretty astonishing TBH.

Plus the work on that All American is just mind blowing, as the others have said - restoration techniques have really moved on in even just the last few years.

I didn't know that, in regards to CGC knocking the grade over the corners. That doesn't make any sense at all to me, I mean how can you grade it based on something that wasn't there to start with?

So the top miscut will be rounded and painted? Best decision in my opinion, really no point going to such an extent to restore and not make it as nice looking as possible.

Really superb work!

I just can't stop looking at that All American!!! lol.

Good work, Kenny!

Really?

^^

Looking at the before pictures would be a dead giveaway that the book would never be a NM range book. Factor that in with a little scrutiny on the scans and I came up with a 6.0 range book.

I could probably do that on my 6" android.

Good work, Kenny!

Really?

^^

Looking at the before pictures would be a dead giveaway that the book would never be a NM range book. Factor that in with a little scrutiny on the scans and I came up with a 6.0 range book.

I could probably do that on my 6" android.

My Droid Razr Maxx has a brighter screen than my Lenovo X201 laptop. :sorry:

Having seen so many fakked up books that were turned into books that looked brand new, I got a little excited.